Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: what size truck

Boolit Grand Master

what size truck

would you all consider for all an around vehicle?
    say for towing things like a 33'camper,16'boat and a tandem axle trailer and occasional piece of equipment like a bobcat and trailer and for a daily commuter as well
    would you go with a 1/2 ton,3/4 ton or 1 ton?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    It would depend how often you pull the 33 ft camper and the tandem trailer and how far. I've pulled similar trailers with my 1/2 ton F150 without issues. Half ton would be better for a daily driver. If you go that route, I'd suggest trailer tow package and limited slip rear end.

Boolit Master
    minimum would be hd 3/4 ton all the thing you mention dictate that you intend to pull sizeable loads periodicaly and I'll bet they will be heavier than you think

Boolit Master
    Minimum 3/4 ton heavy duty. 1 ton is better.

Boolit Master
    1 ton. There are a few 3/4 tons that might be workable, but most of them are too light.

Depending on the weight of the33’ camper, I’d say the 3/4 ton would work for you. Only about $1,000 difference in the 3/4 vs. the 1 ton, so of there’s any doubt go with the heavier vehicle.
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Banned
    3/4 ton for the win. 1/2 ton to soft, 1 ton to hard, 3/4 ton just right.

Boolit Master
    If you are pulling any grades, I suggest a diesel, 3/4t minimum. I pull a 30' fifth wheel with a 2012 F250 Super Duty. Best truck I ever owned. If you go 1t, might as well go dually since you'll be pulling stuff.

Easy for decisions for me spending your money
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    Try the reviews from TFL Truck on youtube. They test every truck pulling a trailer up the Ike Gauntlet, a really steep grade of highway and then down again testing brakes. There is a comparison of 1/2, 3/4, 1 ton trucks with most engine/transmission configurations. You can narrow it down then go test drive.

Banned

you could probably get by with a 1/2 ton if you pulled those things a couple times a year. If you pull them a couple times a week get a 3/4 ton. You don't need a one ton. Very few do unless your using it on a farm or worksite. With them your usually talking diesels with near a 1000 ft lbs of torque. Semis didn't have that 20 years ago.

Banned
    "for towing things like a 33'camper,16'boat and a tandem axle trailer and occasional piece of equipment like a bobcat and trailer and for a daily commuter as well"

I have a friend who's an excavator and pulls a large bobcat. He always used a 1-ton truck (single axle PU). He would regularly tow the bobcat to job 60 - 100 miles away

The size of the truck will depend on the heaviest item you will be pulling and how often you will pull it.

For the 33'camper,16'boat and a tandem axle trailer a heavy half-ton 4x4 would be fine (that's what I have and used with my trailers)

If you're renting the equipment, you should find out the requirements of the rental yard.

I suspect they would require a heavy 3/4 ton and maybe even a 1 ton to rent the equipment.

My neighbor has a new 1 ton GMC diesel that is quiet, comfortable and gets over 20-miles per gallon (cost around 60 K) has to add catalytic fluid every XXXX miles

Boolit Master
    not enough info . But I will say my daily commuter truck is a one ton single wheel. I commute just under two hundred miles a day with no problums
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Boolit Master

a 1/2 ton will handle the camper, boats etc, if you even remotely want to consider dragging a bobcat behind something, a 3/4 is minimal.

Boolit Grand Master
    on the 1/2 ton would you say a v6-or v8 motor
    they make a v6 twin turbo ecoboost in a 1/2 ton
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

If you are going to pull something get a dedicated pull truck and keep it for decades. Get a smaller rig for every day runarounds. Your bank balance will show the difference. A good pull truck is expensive and deservedly so.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by scattershot View Post
    Depending on the weight of the33’ camper, I’d say the 3/4 ton would work for you. Only about $1,000 difference in the 3/4 vs. the 1 ton, so of there’s any doubt go with the heavier vehicle.
    Price difference depends on how the truck is equipped. It is very possible to find a one ton with fewer options, priced LOWER than a fully equipped 1/2 ton. Personally I do not need, or even want all the options. A/C and cruise control is all I want.

Boolit Buddy
    3/4 ton Ford 250 the older 7.3 diesels will go 400-500,000 miles new ones are $$$$$$$

I tow a 36 ft TT (about 9000 lbs) with my F350 Super Duty (8ft bed) and never would go back to something smaller - works great at any incline and wind and gas/diesel mileage is decent between 10 and 11.5 mpg. Took it from OH to southern Florida and it was a smooth, relaxing drive.
    Without towing anything, I get between 18 and 20 mpg and we go camping almost every weekend, typically 2-6 hrs drive away from home.
    Last edited by Big Tom; 07-04-2019 at 04:06 PM.
    NRA Certified Instructor Pistol
    NRA Certified Instructor Metallic Cartridge Reloading
    NRA Certified Instructor Shotshell Reloading
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life member
    www.primercatcher.com

Boolit Bub
    My 2 cents is if you're pulling something as heavy as a 33' trailer or bobcat/trailer then go bigger. Pulling is never a problem, stopping and controlling is and the only way you get better stopping and control is more weight for a trailer to try to push around. It isn't manly but a cheap small car that gets 30+mpg for a daily commuter will save enough in fuel dollars alone to help pay for the big one.

Boolit Master
    https://dustrunnersauto.com/f250-vs-f350/
    Not too much different between F250 and F350. This article doesn't mention it but the tires are the biggest difference.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast