RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision

Thread: All the powder between 3031,and 748 for 30-30?

Boolit Buddy

All the powder between 3031,and 748 for 30-30?

I am new to loading for the 30-30, and I have been looking at data,as well as reading up on it.It seems that IMR 3031,and Win 748 are the most used powders,but the 3031 is a good bit faster burning than 748..I can't help but wonder why powders with burn rates in between the two are not as popular.I have already bought a pound of 748,but I have plenty of CFE 223,and 4064 on hand as well..I am not normally a velocity chaser,but if I can get it without being unsafe,or giving up too much accuracy then I will take it.
    The Leverevolution powder as well as the 223 look like they make plenty of speed without excessive pressure.I can get the Leverevolution for $27 a pound.I am wondering if any of you use these powders,and what are your thoughts of them .Thanks

The LE in my opinion should be used for maximum jacketed bullet velocity. Actually most any powder between 4198 and 4350 burn rates will work fine in the un-fussy 30-30 for both cast and jacketed IMO.

Boolit Master

There are a lot of good powders for the 30-30, but 3031 seem to shine for me.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    There are a lot of good powders for the 30-30, but 3031 seem to shine for me.
    What Hickory says and double that with 32 Win Spl.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

CFE223 proved fast and accurate in .308 and 8x57 for me but that was with j bullets. I may try it some day- I bet it will work just fine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Got a # of 3031 I've never opened. LeverE for fast loads, 2400 for PB slow stuff. Cast or jax, no difference.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    There are many powders that would be suitable for hunting deer out to 75yds, and they would all get the job done. Beyond that, you would want good accuracy loads, and 3031 or 748 can provide that.
    They are tried and tested powders that are pretty much always readily available. The extra bit of velocity claimed by using cfe223 or lvr, makes little difference to trajectory out to 175yds.
    If you want to shoot something at 300yds, or any distance for that matter, accuracy is a whole lot more important than velocity.
    Looking at the load data, you would be burning 10 to 15% more powder using cfe223 or Lvr than using 3031 or 748 for similar pressures. Yes you would get more velocity in return, which would be great if all you wanted to do was chronograph bullet velocities.
    Try a comparison with the cfe223 and the 748, it is always interesting to see new info.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks Everyone. .I have been itching to shoot my new used 94,and today I got the chance.I have some Speer flatnose bullets on order from Midway that will be in tommorow,BUT I decided I would go out to the farm and mow today so I slapped together a few just to get the itch scratched.I used 130gr pointy ,but still kind of stubby hollow points that I have on hand for my 30-06.I used 33gr of CFE223 because I have a lot.I just single loaded them,and I didn't shoot from my bench.I just sat a target about 12×20 with about an 1.5 inch red marker dot marked on it about 50 yards from my shooting window in the garage, and I shot low the first time,so I raised the elevator up to the next notch and the second shot was just about perfectly centered in the dot (luck),.I shot the other 3,and one more was in the dot,and one was straddling it,and one was just a hair high.It wasn't much of a test,but it was enough to tell me the gun still has the ability to do what is is designed to do..I hope to get a proper load worked up in a few days.I will take them down to the bottom,and shoot them off the bench at a measured 50 yard,and 100 yard distance.
    Last edited by Elroy; 07-04-2019 at 05:03 PM.