WidenersRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Difference between *re*-loading and *hand*-loading....

Boolit Master

Difference between *re*-loading and *hand*-loading....

> .30 carbine reloads
    > K31 reloads
    > 6.5 mm swede reloads

Our dear Yodar....

May we consider for a moment, the tiny word used
    thrice times before the cock crowed.....

........."reloads".

I suppose it could be said, if loading cases that had
    been fired previous, that we were in fact RE-loading.
    But there is a rather vulgar sound to this word as it
    suggests, nay, screams outright to the world that
    you are of the proletariat, an utterly distasteful and
    repugnant suggestion. A commonality of emesis
    provocation, sir.

If we load new cases, how can this be RE-loading?
    Is this not HAND-loading? Does this not denote a
    more precise and eloquent activity, a foray among
    the more bourgeoisie and acceptable of humanity?
    We may say this in mixed company with the tip of
    our hat, strolling on a sunday morning, "I must
    return to my abode shortly and complete the
    handloading of my ammunition." There is an artistic
    accuracy, my good man, when displaying a competancy
    of linguistic skill that demands respect in the community.

People have ~hands~. To refer to such a technical
    and pleasureable aspect of our hobby with a misnomer
    does it grave injustice, me'thinks. In the future there
    could be an inditement from the World Court for
    mis-use of a word. You can't say "impossible, that
    Dutchie fellow is smoking crack". It could well happen
    and just the mere fact that it could happen makes it
    an entirely credible suggestion to make and use as
    a means of control of the less knowing populace,
    and those who resist authority otherwise.

Let us be hopeful that by using terminology compatable
    with the practice we may keep you out of prison. It would
    be a terrible injustice to the world to have to collect your
    sage advise, not to mention recipies, via prison courier.

something to think about,
    Dutch

(Dear World Court..... I know this fellow named Yodar.......)

Boolit Master
    I tried hand loading, but my fingers are too fat to hold the powder and my hands aren't strong enough to shove the bullet into the case, so I use reloading equipment.
    Hick: Iron sights!

In my opinion, if only one operation per pull of the handle is done, it's hand loading. While if every pull of the handle results in a completed cartridge, it's reloading.

Boolit Master
    I take a direct offense when someone Calls me a Reloader. I "Handload" each Individual Cartridge , Not using any progressive machines . My way Of thinking weather You Like it or not , individuals who Use Fully Progressive presses ie, dillons, Lee, Hornady etc are not HandLoaders But " Reloaders". Reason: You just supply useless Labor . The machine has removed your skill from the process, with no skill, = No knowledge. No knowledge if It's correct Or no Knowledge if it's wrong
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Banned

Boolit Master
    Naw, that ain't it.... When you put another round into the chamber you are reloading. When you fill your meticulously cared for brass with primers, powder and a projectile that's handloading.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I just want to make ammo. I never really cared what the name of the process was.

Boolit Master
    Progressive vs. single stage takes just as much skill to setup and get everything running correctly. The progressive press is just a smarter option if you shoot a bunch...

I don’t really worry about the terminology. I’m just trying to make the best cartridges I can in a reasonable amount of time so I can shoot as much as I’d like.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't know don't care. What I do know is there is no real difference in skill or knowledge required to produce quality ammo regardless of method used to produce it. You can make the case that progressive's are more complicated so they require more skill and knowledge.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Here is how some define the terms:

Handloading or reloading is the process of loading firearm cartridges or shotgun shells by assembling the individual components (case/hull, primer, powder, and bullet/shot), rather than purchasing completely assembled, factory-loaded ammunition.
    The term handloading is the more general term, as it refers to assembly of ammunition using components from any source.
    Reloading refers more specifically to the assembly of ammunition re-using cases or shells from previously fired ammunition.
    The terms are often used interchangeably, as the techniques are largely the same whether using new or previously fired components.
    The differences lie in the preparation of the cases or shells; new components are generally ready to load, while previously fired components often need cleaning, removal of expended primers, and possibly other preparation to make them ready to load.
    Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handloading

I just use the term "handloading" for those who actually go from casting lead for their own boolits thru the process to the assembled round using new un-fired or fired cases/hulls.

I use the term, "reloading" for the ones who just re-load rounds that have already been fired, but do not cast.

I can see how the rest of the previous posts all have some merit for their ways of definition though, as well.

To each their own, I suppose...

I am not gonna lose any sleep over it though.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    When people ask me about reloading , I say I don't reload I custom load my ammunition .

Boolit Master
    tomato or tomahtoe I think its all good, myself I recycle my ammo , cause you know recycling is good for the environment !!!! and its feel good for me , and its just the right thing to do. (geez I feel like I should hug a tree) call it what you want we all know what it does so who cares.

Both are offensive. I create only the finest artisanal custom ammo.

Boolit Bub
    I believe Jerry Miculek is the only person I have ever seen hand load ammo.

Fast forward to the 2 minute 30 second mark and watch from there.

I always thought handloading was done on a hand-held press...like the old 310s or the Lee Loader. Reloading was done on any press type apparatus.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    all this talk is UNPOSSIBLE!

Boolit Master

I tell folks i load my own ammo.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

Obviously they are ALL "Hand loads" but unless we are "Re" using the brass nothing is being "RE" used! So it follows that if all the components are new, new unfired brass, then they are simply "Hand loads" and are NOT "RE Loads".

It really is confusing two different terms, Hand loads would refer to any load that is assembled by hand other than produced on automated factory machinery while a "RE" load would still be a "Re" load regardless whether it is loaded by hand or recycled through automated machinery (Don 't know if that is even done anywhere or not).

So it's not a question of whether they are "RE" Loads or Hand loads since neither term specifically applies to the other, if we assemble them by hand then they are ALL "Hand" Loads regardless whether or not they go through the extra prep of de-priming and such that is not required with all new components. If we use all new components then they are simply "Hand loads" but when we re-use cases they are still "Hand loads" but also "RE" Loads!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Grand Master

The difference in ammo is there are those who do very little work up research testing or qc. Just pick a load from book or internet. Then there are those whose qc in meticulous weighed bullets, powder charges weighed some are even going to .02 grain scales, cases weighed cleaned uniformed, neck tension adjusted to optimum. and a lot of testing to prove what's best. This is handloaded or custom loaded ammo. Ammo tailored to the gun and job at hand. The uy loading blasting ammo with a progressive using components as is not weighing charges and more concerned with rate of production over ultimate accuracy is a reloader. I don't mean this in a derogatory sense everyone has their requirements and what they need. I have done both again depending on the requirements of the ammo

Boolit Grand Master

To me, hand loading is loading ammo with new brass and reloading is loading ammo in fired brass. But I don't really care what you call it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast