Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Revolvers are awesome

Just added to my revolver stash yesterday - a mint 1969 made Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. Still 3 screw and not converted. I'll shoot it today!!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    A Glock, to start with. Probably all of the newer designs. I wasn't talking about 1911s, especially high dollar hand-fitted 1911s.
    As for reliability, Hi-Points are also known for cycling anything they're fed.

And sure, guys who have never even fired a revolver "know" that Glocks cycle anything they're fed, are indestructible and last forever. They "know" the same thing about AKs, too.

Btw, my only remaining 1911 is a Norinco. Made in the '80s in China. All forged, unmodified, and it feeds and fires the 452424 Keith bullet, accurately.
    I have to debate glocks being indestructible saw a couple that came a bit to close to a heat source it wernt pretty them pretty plastic handles sort of reformed a bit. As for everything else never owned one so i cant say.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I have to debate glocks being indestructible saw a couple that came a bit to close to a heat source it wernt pretty them pretty plastic handles sort of reformed a bit. As for everything else never owned one so i cant say.
    No debate from me. How many first generation Glocks do you see around any more? Plenty of them haven't survived. I doubt my grandkids will ever see a 50+ year old Glock, let alone fire one. But there are plenty of 100 year old revolvers (and autoloaders too) that still work fine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    Just added to my revolver stash yesterday - a mint 1969 made Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 mag. Still 3 screw and not converted. I'll shoot it today!!
    Nice! Great find.

No debate from me. How many first generation Glocks do you see around any more? Plenty of them haven't survived. I doubt my grandkids will ever see a 50+ year old Glock, let alone fire one. But there are plenty of 100 year old revolvers (and autoloaders too) that still work fine.
    Being one who loves the old guns i have quite a few that are well over 100 years old and still going strong.

Boolit Master

Seriously? First of all, do you have any idea just how few first generation Glocks were produced and imported into the US? About 70,000. That's six years of sales, beginning in 1986.

Second, Glocks were first sold in 1982 and began being imported into the US in 1986. So they've been around for nearly 40 years with tens of thousands still functioning just fine. Please explain to me how they will begin suddenly no longer functioning in another ten years?? And while you're at it, why don't you give me an example of a Glock wearing out solely due to age. How many revolvers have gone to the wayside due to rust and frames cracking?

And if you really, seriously think that polymer weapons won't last 50 years, do you not realize that the Remington Nylon 66 was first produced in 1959 and there are plenty of those still working just fine 60 years later?

I get that you don't like polymer pistols. Fine. But don't just make up ridiculous reasons and say crazy things that have no basis in reality or fact.
    Last edited by Idaho45guy; 07-07-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Seriously? First of all, do you have any idea just how few first generation Glocks were produced and imported into the US? About 70,000. That's six years of sales, beginning in 1986.

Second, Glocks were first sold in 1982 and began being imported into the US in 1986. So they've been around for nearly 40 years with tens of thousands still functioning just fine. Please explain to me how they will begin suddenly no longer functioning in another ten years?? And while you're at it, why don't you give me an example of a Glock wearing out solely due to age. How many revolvers have gone to the wayside due to rust and frames cracking?

And if you really, seriously think that polymer weapons won't last 50 years, do you not realize that the Remington Nylon 66 was first produced in 1959 and there are plenty of those still working just fine 60 years later?

I get that you don't like polymer pistols. Fine. But don't just make up ridiculous reasons and say crazy things that have no basis in reality or fact.
    I hope you are right and they do last. I have one plastic gun not a glock and its a neat little gun but i am old school and just prefer wood and metal. I don't even like plastic grips. I have seen plenty of different plastic seem to dry out and crack with age. This may not happen to guns but i am just not convinced. If you like glocks then thats just fine. Guess thats why they make different kinds of guns.

Boolit Master
    I have two Glocks and two Nylon 66s. Also a couple of polymer AR lowers. But unlike some people, I'm not a fanboy who believes that polymer doesn't deteriorate from heat and UV exposure. I know for a fact that it does, and I don't feel a need to debate someone who demands that I "prove" it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    I cheerfully add similar positive thoughts! I might add, too, I recently acquired a Ruger New Vaquero in .45 Colt, and reckoned trying WAX bullets might be worth a try. I bought a bag of 1,000 for $28.00 delivered, and one just pushes one into a primed case...and fires! As much as I love to shoot the revolver with "real lead" at the range, at camp the powder-noise would be waaaay too loud -- but, I can sit on a chair, and shoot, shoot, shoot at camp! I have a plain-Jane cardboard box I use as a target, and bion at ~15 yards, all the bullets go through the front; maybe 1/2 all the way through, with the balance just leaving a dent on box inside.
    Perhaps still ANOTHER way to reinforce the fun of revolver shooting!
    geo
    Sir you can make them was bullets very easily and cheaper than buying them,we just push primer cases through a block of wax.same was used for canning
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 07-08-2019 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Window's spell check thingy messed up the post
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

+1 for making them.

Boolit Master

I have two Glocks and two Nylon 66s. Also a couple of polymer AR lowers. But unlike some people, I'm not a fanboy who believes that polymer doesn't deteriorate from heat and UV exposure. I know for a fact that it does, and I don't feel a need to debate someone who demands that I "prove" it.
    Nice! Color me jealous. I only have one of each. The Glock means little to me; just a training tool to learn how to work on them. (That took about 30 minutes.) The Nylon 66, OTOH, is something I am proud to have in my collection.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    Nice! Color me jealous. I only have one of each. The Glock means little to me; just a training tool to learn how to work on them. (That took about 30 minutes.) The Nylon 66, OTOH, is something I am proud to have in my collection.
    Well color me very jealous i don't have ether.

Boolit Bub
    Well I admit, I didn’t intend to put down my semi autos, I love them too. I’m not a “one or the other” type of guy. I appreciate them all, guns, cars, motorcycles, women, no type all around better than another. Revolvers are awesome and so are glocks! AK’s are awesome and so are AR’s! The only exception to this rule is women, sorry boys, I have the best one!!

Boolit Buddy
    Has the machining and production practices that improved current semi auto been applied to revolvers that are now being produced. I really don't spend alot of time looking at new anything. I do love my revolvers, but there is a level of quality control and finish that is apparent. S&W are better than Taurus. At least for the ones I own. Does that hold true for current models. I have been itching for a 41 magnum but have not found one that has come home with me. I might have to start looking at new.

Quote Originally Posted by wulfman92 View Post
    Well I admit, I didn’t intend to put down my semi autos, I love them too. I’m not a “one or the other” type of guy. I appreciate them all, guns, cars, motorcycles, women, no type all around better than another. Revolvers are awesome and so are glocks! AK’s are awesome and so are AR’s! The only exception to this rule is women, sorry boys, I have the best one!!
    The situation dictates which i carry usually both. A revolver as my main carry gun and an auto as a back up.
    As far as women any woman that put up with me for 43 years has to be in the running for best.

Boolit Man
    I shoot autos but I love revolvers. Since I started casting about a year ago I got excited all over again about revolvers. My Ruger 357 SBH hasn't seen this much lead through it in several years. I got excited again when I saw this one and I just couldn't resist. 9 1/2" barrel and I love it! I showed it to a young man, he turned up his nose and said "Wow, that looks kind of redneck". Sometimes I think good firearms are wasted on youth!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_ruger_44.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	245030

Boolit Master
    Claybirds @ 50 meters were turning into dust pretty good with a S&W500 today.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123