MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Revolvers are awesome

Boolit Bub

Revolvers are awesome

I had the first chance to go to the range today for a good while due to some house and landscaping projects. Lately, I’ve been shooting USPSA or some sort of practice with the semi autos, but today I decided I would take out the cowboy action stuff and another revolver. Now obviously when I shoot any of my semi autos, the brass flings and flies and I spend 3/4 of my time picking up brass. It’s not just picking up brass either, it’s 3/4 of my time bending over, shirt getting untucked, underoos getting bunched up, heartburn acting up, etc. I might be slightly dramatic, I don’t know. Anyways, shooting the revolvers today was a blast! No flying brass, no having to bend over, no being uncomfortable, and it’s fun! I felt great after shooting today!

USMC 77, USRA 79

Amen to that...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Super Moderator

I love shooting my revolvers too, and I have a bunch of them. I don't particularly like chasing brass either. The older I get, the more I appreciate my revolvers! Glad you got out and had fun, because that's what it's all about.

Boolit Master
    No Bottom Feeders here. Dump bag or back in the box, my brass never hits the ground. Gets sized and deprimed before tumbling using the same fine lube I use on the boolits. 44 Mag pressure blows a thin coat of soft lube everywhere, cases are lubed for sizing before it's boolit hits the target. LOL

Powder Coat never turned my head, this is just too easy. Got stainless pin tumbling down, washing with Dawn, rinse and a dip in Car Wash/Wax before dry.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

In Remembrance

Like my revolvers here also, one day my youngest son ask why I was shooting that antique stuff as he was picking up a couple mags of brass and I dumped my cylinder, smiled and said I ain't picking up my brass. He just laughed and agreed with me.
    BTW, this was also his first time around full wadcutters and couldn't believe the perfect cut holes in the target.

Boolit Master
    Yep,my thoughts exactly. I was at the range yesterday,shooting only one revolver. Felt great.

Brass chasing is quite a big distraction indeed... if not,add snow.

Boolit Master

I find myself choosing to shoot revolvers almost every time, and my auto-loaders move slowly to the back of the safe.

I usually spread a tarp to catch my brass when shooting the brass-flingers, but I find myself not wanting to spend that time either.

Boolit Grand Master
    We bought a pair for plinking for that reason.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    I love to shoot both, hate picking up brass!
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Moderator Emeritus

I cheerfully add similar positive thoughts! I might add, too, I recently acquired a Ruger New Vaquero in .45 Colt, and reckoned trying WAX bullets might be worth a try. I bought a bag of 1,000 for $28.00 delivered, and one just pushes one into a primed case...and fires! As much as I love to shoot the revolver with "real lead" at the range, at camp the powder-noise would be waaaay too loud -- but, I can sit on a chair, and shoot, shoot, shoot at camp! I have a plain-Jane cardboard box I use as a target, and bion at ~15 yards, all the bullets go through the front; maybe 1/2 all the way through, with the balance just leaving a dent on box inside.
    Perhaps still ANOTHER way to reinforce the fun of revolver shooting!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    I have a bunch of semiauto pistols, including a Sig X5 Classic which is a great gun, but lately I shoot mainly revolvers. Shooting my Webley MKVI and S&W m36 is a blast and it’s nice to dump the empty shells into a box as opposed to bending over to pick them up.

Boolit Master
    Finding brass in pasture grass is no fun especially when the bugs are out. They find the only area that doesn't have repellent when you bend over. Revolvers in the summer and autoloaders in the winter.

Boolit Grand Master
    a whole lot to be said about not picking up brass
    I have give it up and leave them lay only one's I pick up
    are for the 224 Valkeryie and 6.5 Creedmoor
    leave the 45 acp in the dirt
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I only have 2 semi autos - a S&W 3914 9mm that I have had since they came out about a hundred years ago, and a suppressed Ruger 22....everyone should have at LEAST one suppressed 22 pistol.....just sort of a necessity in my book.
    But the revolvers get by far the most shooting. I'd venture to say I shoot 100 rounds of revolver for each round of pistol.
    The 3914 is ALMOST like a revolver with DA on the first shot.....but then you still have to pick up the brass.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    a whole lot to be said about not picking up brass
    I have give it up and leave them lay only one's I pick up
    are for the 224 Valkeryie and 6.5 Creedmoor
    leave the 45 acp in the dirt
    I have enough 9mm that I really do not need to pick up the spent brass, but I do because I don't like the noise when I run over it with the lawnmower.

Boolit Master

I made a catch bin when shooting semi-auto from the bench. It's a steel tub. I lined it with rubber roofing. If im going to be doing a lot of standing shooting i have a portable gazebo that i attach a tarp to the side to. It catches most of the brass. Im getting a 40sw /10mm revolver tomorrow. That will be a nice change up.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Banned

Just shot 50 rounds of .38 Special this afternoon here. Probably 90% or better of my handgun shooting the past several years has been revolvers, just so much easier to deal with and I generally shoot them better too.

I have grown to appreciate my semi autos, but my favorites are still revolvers. I shoot a lot of 38 special with about every type of boolit imaginable.

Even learned to powder coat solely to fix leading problems in my favorite wheel gun.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master

The brass throwers are for emergency only...

Boolit Master
    Interesting topic. The older I get the higher % of handguns at my house are revolvers.
    East Tennessee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast