RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Revolvers are awesome

Boolit Buddy
    Lol I'm in the same boat. More and more when I go to the range I look at my bottom feeders and pick revolvers; that way I can enjoy shooting instead of watching where my brass is landing

Boolit Master

Even though I have some very nice semi-autos including an STI Edge, Browning Hi-Power and some custom 1911s I enjoy the revolvers. My favorites are a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, a Colt Trooper Mk III and a S&W Model 19 that still looks new.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    When I started shooting there were only two types of firearms from which to choose - a revolver or a "jam-o-matic" as most semi-autos were called at that time (yup, I'm that old). Yes, there were a few reliable semis in the market, namely the Colt Woodsman and the 1911A1. Time passed and the manufacturers got quality control and engineering technology up to the point that most semis are now reliable. Once the police departments began the shift over to semis there were tons of revolvers available for sale. That made me happy as quality handguns became more available and for lower prices. Without any question I have many more revolvers than semis but appreciate both for what they offer. My heart and trust remain in the revolver camp and will always be there.

No magazine to get damaged or lose, no controls to work, power of ammunition is adjustable over a wide range, multiple bullet or boolit configurations, no brass to catch, simple operation to name a few reasons. What's not to like?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    It is wonderful to know there are so many who feel as I do about chasing brass around the countryside.

Boolit Master
    Best handgun for serious use = revolver.
    Most reliable = revolver.
    Best for the handloader = revolver.
    Most fun = revolver.

For me, autoloaders are just an occasional diversion.
    And btw, the jammamatics didn't become more reliable because of quality control and better technology. They became more reliable because manufacturers started building them with larger clearances and ramped chambers. The technology just allows them to build them cheaper.
    I've noticed too that people now accept and even consider to be "premium," stuff most people used to deride. In the late '40s people hated the new, cheap Remingtons with stamped parts and other cheap manufacturing shortcuts. In 1964, Winchester fans hated the stamped parts and cheaper designs. Now people embrace stuff that employs far cheaper manufacturing tech. Look at all the stamped parts in a Glock sometime.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy View Post
    And btw, the jammamatics didn't become more reliable because of quality control and better technology. They became more reliable because manufacturers started building them with larger clearances and ramped chambers. The technology just allows them to build them cheaper.
    I've noticed too that people now accept and even consider to be "premium," stuff most people used to deride. In the late '40s people hated the new, cheap Remingtons with stamped parts and other cheap manufacturing shortcuts. In 1964, Winchester fans hated the stamped parts and cheaper designs. Now people embrace stuff that employs far cheaper manufacturing tech. Look at all the stamped parts in a Glock sometime.
    That's interesting. What is built to more generous tolerances than a true Mil-Spec 1911-A1? A good 1911 (not a Mil-Spec) is hand fit to very close tolerances. That is not a cheaper way to build. Ramped barrels require additional machining and fitting; again, not a cheaper way to build a reliable 1911. My STI Edge is a hand fitted gun from Bob Dawson and it has about 90,000 rounds through it and the only times it has failed to extract and feed were due to a broken Recoil Master assembly, a broken extractor and a broken slide stop. Those all occurred between 30,000 and 50,000 rounds.

Agree about the cheaper parts. There are some high priced 1911s on the market that have high profile brand names that are full of MIM parts with the mold flashing and bumps still present when they're delivered to the retailer.

Yes, most of the Glock's internals are stamped. They are, OTOH, know for reliably extracting and feeding just about anything they're fed.

Yes, revolvers are more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I'm getting rid of most of my bottom feeders. I find as I get older, the ground is much further away than it used to be when it comes time to pick up the brass.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    My wife absolutely refuses to carry a auto revolvers only. I was always an auto man just loved them and with a little love any can be made to feed reliably . But as i get older and further from the ground i just can't bend and pick up the brass. I have found new appreciation for my revolvers. My wife says told you more than i care to hear but thats just the way it goes.

Boolit Master
    I love revolvers. When roaming the wilds a revolver is what I have 99% of the time. Either a model 28 filled loaded with the 358429 over a stiff load of unique in 38 special brass, or a single action chambered in 45 colt loaded with 250 gr bullet over 8.5 gr of unique.

When it comes to the auto loaders I have a boat load of brass. If shooting on concrete or a flat surface I’ll just sweep it up and dump it in the range bag.

Boolit Master
    Revolvers are greener ,liberals should appreciate that ,no polluting brass !

I hate picking up brass, but it's the trigger on the revolver that really sets them apart...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    That's interesting. What is built to more generous tolerances than a true Mil-Spec 1911-A1? A good 1911 (not a Mil-Spec) is hand fit to very close tolerances. That is not a cheaper way to build. Ramped barrels require additional machining and fitting; again, not a cheaper way to build a reliable 1911. My STI Edge is a hand fitted gun from Bob Dawson and it has about 90,000 rounds through it and the only times it has failed to extract and feed were due to a broken Recoil Master assembly, a broken extractor and a broken slide stop. Those all occurred between 30,000 and 50,000 rounds.

Agree about the cheaper parts. There are some high priced 1911s on the market that have high profile brand names that are full of MIM parts with the mold flashing and bumps still present when they're delivered to the retailer.

Yes, most of the Glock's internals are stamped. They are, OTOH, know for reliably extracting and feeding just about anything they're fed.

Yes, revolvers are more fun than a barrel of monkeys.
    A Glock, to start with. Probably all of the newer designs. I wasn't talking about 1911s, especially high dollar hand-fitted 1911s.
    As for reliability, Hi-Points are also known for cycling anything they're fed.

And sure, guys who have never even fired a revolver "know" that Glocks cycle anything they're fed, are indestructible and last forever. They "know" the same thing about AKs, too.

Btw, my only remaining 1911 is a Norinco. Made in the '80s in China. All forged, unmodified, and it feeds and fires the 452424 Keith bullet, accurately.
    Last edited by Tracy; 07-06-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

I've got a safe or two full of plastic but I always take my revolvers on vacation
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    My wife absolutely refuses to carry a auto revolvers only. I was always an auto man just loved them and with a little love any can be made to feed reliably . But as i get older and further from the ground i just can't bend and pick up the brass. I have found new appreciation for my revolvers. My wife says told you more than i care to hear but thats just the way it goes.
    I've bought my wife a gun safe full but she always reaches for my...um....her Chiefs Special
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

My Wife's favorite is the S&W Model 15 4" with Service grips.
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Buddy
    Started with revolvers, got some autos, back to mostly revolvers. The autos I like the most are my S&W and Ruger .22 target autos, my Glock, and my 1911. Revolvers, Colt SAA, Ruger Blackhawks, and a couple of older Colts.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I've got a safe or two full of plastic but I always take my revolvers on vacation
    When I travel out of state I usually take a Glock. That way if it doesn't make it back home with me, it's not a huge loss. I can just pick up another one if I want to.

The difference between revolvers and autos for me is that I have all the autos I want or need. I can't say the same about revolvers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I've bought my wife a gun safe full but she always reaches for my...um....her Chiefs Special
    Wife had a charter arms 32 mag that she really liked but after a couple of ftf. She would have none of it. Sent it back and transfer bar was bad seems to work well now but that was it for her. Claims she wants nothing to do with a gun that doesn't go bang every time you pull the trigger. She carries a sw airweight now and is very happy. And since she is happy i am happy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast