Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't Make Up My Mind On A Scope For My .416 Ruger

Boolit Grand Master

Can't Make Up My Mind On A Scope For My .416 Ruger

I'm going round and round on this one. I'm pretty sure I want a 1x4 most likely with a German Style reticle but have not decided. The Nikon seems like a good fit but I'm open to ideas

Who has a large bore with a scope and what are the suggestions?

Thanks.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on budget really. And purpose. Being a large bore I’m imagining cast boolits work and short range hunting. A low power variable would fit nicely. Budget would dictate suggestions.

Boolit Master

jonp, I think we might be on a similar track. I have the 1-4X on my large caliber rifles. I figure the shots will be relatively close. I'm using cast boolits which are always driven to medium velocities. Also, I prefer to stick with USA made optics, which seems to dictate a Leupold brand. Your hunting or shooting methods may not be the same as mine, but we are in agreement that a low power scope has a lot going for it.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Whatever the power, one with a lot of eye relief is nice...I had a Weaver K2.5 on my Ruger #1 45-70 and really liked it...

Boolit Master
    A long action big bore rifle really needs a long tube scope with a 1" straight tube.

I prefer the 3X Leupold M8 fixed power if you can find one.
    if not a similar scope with long eye relief and a long tube is preferred.
    I also like the Micro trak Weaver K2.5 and K3 scopes.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    My 338W, wears a Trijicon 1 x 4 Accupoint. Bought years ago, when they were in the $500-600 range. I prefer lighted reticles on hunting firearms. My Marlin 1894 wears a Leupold 1 x 5 with a lighted German reticle.

Vortex makes a 30 mm 1 x 4 with a lighted reticle that can be had for $200........I just picked one up for a 9mm carbine. Pretty good glass for the money, plus a lifetime warranty.

Winelover
    Last edited by winelover; 07-04-2019 at 07:17 AM. Reason: additional info

Boolit Master
    My 375 H&H wears a Leupold 3 x 9 because that is what I had when I put it together and it makes it easier to pick a spot on an elk in the timber and brush where I hunt. My 416 Rigby wears a Leupold 2 1/2 x 8 and I love it. My 458 Win mag will shortly have a Leupold 1.5 x 5 as I no longer can see iron sights as I should for accurate work. Can you see a pattern here? I like and use Leupold scopes because they work for me. Years ago Rick Jameson wrote an article about scope sighted, heavy recoiling rifles and Leupold won out over all others including the high dollar German scopes when it came to not failing due to recoil. Perhaps the other brands have gotten better but I see no reason to change.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

I agree with Osteo.

I have a pair of Handi rifles in .44mag. One sports a 2x Red Dot. The other a 1.5x5 variable.
    Out to 75 yards the Red Dot is faster on the target, and stacks them just as well as the scope.

At 100 y and farther the scope starts to dominate.

So part depends on average range you can expect to shoot.

Personaly I've had very good luck with lower cost Simmons scopes.
    But budget is your concern. Keep it dialed low unless you need to zoom in for alonger shot.
    The larger field of view will be a big help.

Leupold 1-4X21 has one of the largest field of view at 1 power of most makes with (74' @ 100yrds) an eye relief of 4". Although weight may not be an issue with your "big bore", this scope is under 10oz and will hold up under the worst of conditions. (I currently have one on a 444.) While I normally prefer a scope with a larger objective than 21mm because it gives you more light in "dim" conditions (exit pupil factor), the smaller tube profile is large enough given the low power of this scope. There is little need, in my opinion to consider a scope of higher power than say 6X on the high end unless you plan on using your .416 for extended ranges. The "long range" scopes that are currently in vogue with the 6.5 Creedmoor crowd are optical marvels for their designed purpose, but they are overpowered and over complicated (and over priced) for a hunting rifle designed for shots inside 300 yards (usually much less distance).

I also like the Leupold 3X21 fixed power model and have two (one with #4 cross hairs on a 9.3x62), and its longer tube looks better on the longer action. I seldom miss the variable feature absent on a fixed power scope because I seldom think to use that feature when hunting (I'd probably appreciate it more in the African bush!). The fixed power scopes are potentially more "rugged" because they have less parts; no erector system or power selector ring to complicate or effect the weight and function.

I'd advise against going "cheap" if you are using this scope on a dangerous game rifle, not that there is anything wrong with a Simmons or other less expensive brands; however "betting" your scope will hold up under the worst of conditions and recoil on an expensive hunt is like going to "boot camp" while being 25 pounds overweight, chances are it may be a "painful" experience! Most of the less expensive scopes have less eye relief, which is far more important with the .416 than the 30/06 class of cartridges., My .02
    Last edited by kaiser; 07-04-2019 at 10:27 AM.

Boolit Master

I have a Leupold VX Freedom 1.5x4x20 duplex on my 375 H and H. 4 power at 100 yds is plenty for load development and my dominate eye overpowers my weak eye when I leave both eyes open for snap shots at 1.5 power.

$200ish with a lifetime Leupold warranty. A German number 4 would be better for close up but not many offerings for under $200. I have fired many full power loads getting ready for a non-existent African hunt and it's still working fine.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Whatever you get get the longest eye relief you can.

Boolit Master
    Discontinued but Leupold V3i 1.75-6x32, I have 2, on a 444 and 358 Win works well. SWFA used to list a Leupold 3x20 fixed, the Leupold 2.5-20 is too short for some guns, but very, very tough. I've had very good luck with Nikon Monarch's, old and current. While Leupold has a good warranty, I have used it multiple times(pre V3i), the Nikon's haven't broke. Lightweight 300 win Mag and 45-70 with serious loads exercise the scopes and both rifles have sent Leupold's back for repair. If you can handle the weight, Nightforce makes a 1-4 and a 2-10 that should hold up, but too heavy for my use.

Boolit Master
    What ranges might you shoot at? I owned plenty of rifles in the 375 H&H to 458 Lott range and much depends on the task at hand.
    1X4 Nikon is a great choice as is a quality 2x7 and a Leupold 1.5x5 with or without an illuminated reticle.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    What ranges might you shoot at? I owned plenty of rifles in the 375 H&H to 458 Lott range and much depends on the task at hand.
    1X4 Nikon is a great choice as is a quality 2x7 and a Leupold 1.5x5 with or without an illuminated reticle.
    100yards and in. I don't see the 416 as a long range rifle. Id love to say Africa or Alaskan bears are in my plans but most likely moose and under 50yards in cover

Boolit Master
    jonp,

Under the conditions you mentioned no doubt it would be one of two choices:
    The Nikon 1x4 or the Leupold 1.5x5. Both are straight tubes which leaves a lot of options for mounting as well as long eye relief.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.leupold.com/scopes/compa...-r-1-25-4x20mm

The firedot is an excellent hunting scope reticle.

Boolit Grand Master

Weaver K2.5 or K3 with post or Leupold M8 3x is what I would look for. I have found the 1970’s vintage Weavers to be tough as a scope can be. The old Leupold M8 2x Compact is also great but kind of short tubed.

In Remembrance

I had a Leupold 30 mm 1.5 x 4.5 variable on my .416 Taylor. The scope had a German #4 post reticule, it was a dream for pointing when shouldered.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

Well Folks, I decided on a scope and this is the one I got: https://www.leupold.com/reticles/ret...vx-freedom-181

The reticle is a modified "German" with a circle dot. Looks exactly like what I need for a big bore. Although it says that it uses a 200-300yrd zero I think I can make it work. I couldn't find the Nikon I wanted, I found a 223 scope with a reticle that looked ok but I was a little leery of sticking an AR scope on a .416.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast