RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: using bag balm for resizing...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    It is water based though, so there's that.
    Unless they have changed the formula there is no water listed as an ingredient.

[I]8-hydroxyquinoline sulphate 0.3% in a petrolatum, lanolin base[I]

It's not anhydrous lanolin so there is probably some amount of water mixed with it but not enough to get billing in the ingredients list. There are what appears to be little bubbles through the material though. Those may be, in reality, beads of lanolin which are unable to mix with the petrolatum.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Ordered ?
    Sold everywhere, even WallyWorld in the pet dept.
    If applied sparingly there's no need to remove it and bottle neck brass will stretch less and not thin the web as much.
    It is water based though, so there's that.
    My method of application:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post4679393

Edit: I use that same method with STP as a lube, rubbed into the patch, a better lube/not as easily removed...works great.
    I have trouble getting around so any time they can bring it to me i go for that.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    If I still didn't have a lifetime supply of Imperial I'd get some (bag balm).
    The functioning lube ingredient in Imperial is carnauba wax, the rest of it is softeners. It's clean to use and doesn't need to be removed. A can of Kiwi shoe polish (neutral) works as well but needs softeners, or use SnoPruff boot treatment which has softeners included. (Both are in Walmart's shoe department.)

The working part of bag balm is lanolin. Lanolin works great and is found in quite a few common products. It need not be removed and is easily wiped away from fingers.

All of my handgun cases use carbide sizers, ...
    Even carbide dies benefit from a small amount of some lube. Dry rubbing metal under high pressure is causes the galling of brass bits to attach to the carbide and eventually causes case scratchs.

but I have used the RCBS lube pad and that sticky stuff that I still have too much of for my rifle brass.
    Roger that. The thick, gooey liquid in RCBS/Lyman, et al, case lube is nothing but very inexpensive STP sold to us as case lube for high prices. STP does work well for sizing BUT it's nasty and sticky so it's messy to use, plus it's hard to remove from cases and fingers. (I still have more than half a tiny bottle of the very first RCBS case lube I bought in '65; I won't toss it but haven't used it since about '67 and never will).

I have looked at it (bag balm), and remember when I was a kid in Pennsylvania there were cans of it all over the barn.....I used it for chapped lips back then.
    Lanoline is what makes Chapstick work on dry lips. And, because of the lanolin. Chapstick will also work as a case lube but it's a bit difficult to apply properly because it needs a softener.

Of the currently available case lubes, I prefer Imperial and/or even better, Hornady's Unique.

Finally, all of the above mentioned lubes and substitutes have worked well enough for me to happily reform hundreds of surplus military 30-06 cases to .22-250 and .243 in an old Lyman "C" Spartan press and no one has a tougher job for their case lubes (or presses) than that!

Banned

I plan to use it next time and I'm going to use a dry media tumbler to remove the bag balm and see how well it works. I'll post the results here.

I get the Bag Balm at the farm fleet store near by me .I use it on my skin now I see another use for it. I use the empty tins for my 44 spl loaded rounds. I can fit 50 in it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Tried it today and seems to work ok. Made a mess with it. Ordered it a d it came was setting on its side in bag outside in 90+ heat when i opened it went everywhere. Just another of my graceful moments.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
    Unless they have changed the formula there is no water listed as an ingredient.

[I]8-hydroxyquinoline sulphate 0.3% in a petrolatum, lanolin base[I]

It's not anhydrous lanolin so there is probably some amount of water mixed with it but not enough to get billing in the ingredients list. There are what appears to be little bubbles through the material though. Those may be, in reality, beads of lanolin which are unable to mix with the petrolatum.
    OH, OK
    never mind
    I thought that because it was easily removed with soap and water...silly me
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12