Load DataTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Shepherds Pie

Boolit Master

Shepherds Pie

Have any of you cooks have a recipe you like for Shepherds Pie?

Boolit Master

Something I love, have tried a couple of times and was not happy. The problem I find is that they are often to bland. I think the meat underneath needs a little brown gravy to make it work. Kinda like the meat pies up in MI, they are often to bland for me.

Boolit Master

Definite winter favorite of mine!!!

I find its about the only place where “fake” smashed taters taste good.

I also like it made with game meat over beef.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I've used this recipe and it is good. They used cream of mushroom soup rather than gravy and it works well. If you prefer you can always substitute some home-made gravy.

Best Shepherd's Pie Recipe

Ingredients:

•2-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cooked
    •1 to 1-1/2 cups (8 to 12 ounces) sour cream
    •Salt and pepper to taste
    •2 pounds ground beef
    •1/2 cup chopped onion
    •1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
    •1 teaspoon garlic salt
    •1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
    •1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
    •1/2 cup milk
    •2 tablespoons butter, melted
    •Chopped fresh parsley, optional

Directions:

•In a large bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream. Add salt and pepper; set aside. In a large skillet, cook beef with onion and red pepper until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir garlic salt into meat mixture. Stir in the soup, corn and milk.
    • Spread meat mixture into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Top with mashed potatoes; drizzle with butter.
    • Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through. For additional browning, place under broiler for a few minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.

Yield: about 8-10 servings.
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master
    Shepherd's pie uses lamb ,cottage pie uses beef .hence the name. Love both especially if the potatoes have cheese in the mash topping

Boolit Grand Master
    man my wife make's it so good
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Our recipe.....1lb ground game meat or beef prebrowned. 3 large taters boiled and mashed. 1 can rotelle tomatos for a little spice. 1 can green beans drained. One onion sliced. Bake 325 til hot in center, uncover add some grated cheese and cook uncovered for 10 min or so. Vegetable often gets substituted. Rotelle sometimes substituted with a cream soup. Sometimes some green chile added. Serves 3-4 or 2 with my favorite leftovers. This is an old Iowa recipe modified for New Mexico with a little spice.
    Last edited by pjames32; 07-02-2019 at 03:37 PM. Reason: forgot ingredient
    NRA Benefactor Member

Banned

my wife makes it with cream of mush soup and cream corn. She loves it. Nothing fantastic to me.

Banned

yup those are pasties up here. Tourists go nuts over them. My wife will make about 20 of them once a year and that's all I need. They were basically a way the poor Cornish and finish miners up here ate cheap. Some potatoe meat (if they had it and it didn't matter much what kind) some rutabaga, onion and flour for a crush. They used to take them in there lunch pails to work. Old timers said the wives would put about anything in them left over from supper too. Heck some place get 10 bucks for one. ive even seen gourmet pastie shops!! That's about like having a gourmet peanut butter and jelly restaurant You can make them for about a buck a piece. Half that if you have some course ground venison. About as silly as some trying to say whats a Sheppard's pie and what isn't. when we were growing up it changed every time ma made it. What ever was on sale mixed with potatoes. Goulash is another one. Its called leftovers thrown together.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattw View Post
    Something I love, have tried a couple of times and was not happy. The problem I find is that they are often to bland. I think the meat underneath needs a little brown gravy to make it work. Kinda like the meat pies up in MI, they are often to bland for me.

When my English Grandfather used to mix together any sorts of mixed leftovers he had on hand and made it into a soup, a stew, or savory meat pie filling he always called it "Slumgulleon" ... (which I always thought meant that it was something that poor folks in the "slums" might eat, but he never explained the name).
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

I was always told that slumgullion was a soupy stew, made up of any leftovers available. Just clean the fridge. My buddy's wife used to have a big plastic container in the freezer, and whatever meat or vegetables were left over from a meal were put in that. About once a month, she threw it all in the pot and that was supper. A frugal and economic meal for a large family. Also, my Dad, who spent quite a while on the road as a young man in the 30's, said that it was like a Hobo stew--everybody contributed whatever they had, it all went in the pot and that was what they made a meal of. I've heard it a lot in my life, but really never saw anything that really explained it. As far as shepherd's pie, I've made it plenty of times, basically a good stew w/o potatoes in it and then cover with mashed potatoes and bake till you have a good brown crust on top. Good stuff, quite filling. A good one course meal. I guess mine would be a cottage pie, as no one around here cares for mutton.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

My mom use to make it ,use to call it a french name . I am not able to spell it but use to eat alot of it. Miss it need to see some time to make it.My mom use to put corn flakes over the mash potatoes. Then bake it.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I added a cheap beer to my last pie filling to make a simple gravy. Excellent!

Hadn't made a Shepherds Pie for a while so tossed one together in my big red enameled cast iron casserole dish for dinner tonight. Just "winged it" and stir fried some ground beef and ground pork, added some sauteed onions, then peas, corn, carrots, and some mushrooms. Added some brown gravy and then topped it off with a thin layer of mashed potatoes, a layer of 3 mixed shredded cheeses, and then covered that with the rest of the mashed potatoes. Sprinkled the top with some Paprika after making the traditional fork tracks in the potato ... just for a bit of panache! Tasted great and there are lots of leftovers for a few more meals.

Boolit Master

Had some last night and for lunch leftovers today that the wife made. It is delicious! She pan fried some ground beef and mashed a pile of potatoes. The filling was beef broth, gravy, corn, green beans, onion and garlic powder, cream of mushroom soup and the braised ground beef. Bake in the oven and enjoy. My son got 3rds.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    Hadn't made a Shepherds Pie for a while so tossed one together in my big red enameled cast iron casserole dish for dinner tonight. Just "winged it" and stir fried some ground beef and ground pork, added some sauteed onions, then peas, corn, carrots, and some mushrooms. Added some brown gravy and then topped it off with a thin layer of mashed potatoes, a layer of 3 mixed shredded cheeses, and then covered that with the rest of the mashed potatoes. Sprinkled the top with some Paprika after making the traditional fork tracks in the potato ... just for a bit of panache! Tasted great and there are lots of leftovers for a few more meals.

That looks great!
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    I make a Guinness based gravy for the meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    I make a Guinness based gravy for the meat.
    Mmmmm ... that sounds like it would taste good. Care to share your recipe?