RepackboxTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remedy for Dull Case Trimmer Cutters

Boolit Master
    Have about 3 case chamfering tools. Coulden't tell you exactly how old they are as I've had then so long. Every so often I take some small stones like a tool and die maker would use and do a cleanup on the flat side like in the link that was posted. That's about it as I don't touch the angled area that does the cutting. Frank

In Remembrance
    If you don't have a lathe and need to cut off more than 1/8" from your brass, you could get a Harbor Freight Mini Cut-off tool. They are inexpensive (and most times you can get 20% off), and quick, quicker than trimming. Then use your trimmer for final length..
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Forster used to sharpen their cutters for a reasonable charge. When my original cutter dulled I bought a new one and had the old one sharpened. Considering the original one went 40+/- years it is highly unlikely I will ever have to break out the sharpened one.

I just checked the Forster website, no mention of any sharpening service. I have a question emailed to their tech people inquiring about the availability of the service.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Master
    In reply to my inquiry to Forster regarding sharpening their case trimmer cutters I received the following;

"Yes, the cost is $10 (which includes the return shipping). The Cutter and payment can be sent to:

FORSTER PRODUCTS
    310 SE LANARK AVE.
    LANARK, IL 61046

We look forward to helping get your trimmer, trimming like new."
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Master
    I have a dull cutter also, and thank you Alan, I contacted Forster, and sent mine in for a sharpening today.

Boolit Grand Master

It takes a few sharpening's to move the face back to where it starts to be a problem, but it is an issue. another is sharpening the face working parallel to the cutting edge dosnt give as good an edge. Working on the face edge at the correct angle and strokes running from face to relief ( back) gives the sharpest edge. Once the pilot is out you have room to work it pretty easy. A piece of hobby shop flat brass 3/8" wide and .060-.090 thick 6" long with fine compound ( some rouges will do a good job here) will put an edge on the cutter quick and easy. 6-8" length isn't needed to cut but the length makes seeing and holding the angle easy. Cut from face to back of cutter making the same strokes on each edge same stroke and light pressure. fine lapping compound 600 up diamond compound, 600 grit paper glued to the brass. 600 grit on one side 800on the other would give rough and finish. On carbide it would be diamond compound only. But the above on a steel cutter would be short work sharpening. number each cut edge on the side of cutter. Make 5-7 light long strokes on edge 1 repeat thru and test. If good your done if not start at edge 2 and 5-7 passes working thru test next start with edge 3 working around. watch as it peels a fine chip on each edge. Ive seen a lot of new trimmer cutters that didn't cut even on all the edges from the factory. A simple angle gage is to use a 5x7 index card with a line drawn at 3-5* tape this on the jaw behind your cutter where you can see it in relation to the stone or brass flat hold to it. Slow easy long strokes 3-5" long watching the relationship to the line. In a shirt while youll be holding the correct angle naturally

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
    In reply to my inquiry to Forster regarding sharpening their case trimmer cutters I received the following;
    "Yes, the cost is $10 (which includes the return shipping).
    The best $10 I've spent in a while!

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine

Boolit Buddy
    Great tip,

I turn some pens and was always told to never hold the pen blank and tube in your hand when trimming and don't trim with a hand drill. That guys hands looks a little chewed up.....

A little sharpening can make a huge difference and the ability to stretch more life from our tools is a wonderful thing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12