Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: WW price

Boolit Bub

WW price

There's a guy in my area that has all kinds of stuff. The American Pickers would love to find him. I was looking for another old cast iron pot. After talking to him I mentioned that I might be interested in lead. His buddy has an old mechanic shop in an area town of maybe at best 100 people. He says that there is at least 2 five gal buckets of wheel weights. I really don't need any more lead for now but I keep finding it and I won't turn any down. I haven't bought any ww's for a while. Just curious-What would you guys offer per lb for wheel weights?

Boolit Buddy
    Full buckets of ww I typically offer between $20-$30. Never know how much zinc and steel are mixed in them. It's a gamble sometimes but a place like that I wouldn't be afraid to pay $30.

At least 5 or 10 cents more than the scrap yard would buy them for. Scrap yard purchase price is sort of the defining market value. It does somewhat depend on the area of the country as to what the going price is. Can also vary over time by a fair amount depending on lead wholesale demand.

If a look at the bucket showed either all or mostly lead WW's I would figure a 5 gallon bucket would be worth around $40 or 40 cents a pound. Bucket should go close to 110 pounds so that $40 provides a 10% reduction for the non-lead scrap portion.

Really beating local scrap yard is a starting point. Then it becomes a case of are there other casters in the area who push the price up. I know of scrap yards that sell WW's and the price difference can be 60 cents a pound or more. One is selling as "dirty lead" the other knows it has a high demand item for casters so it charges more.

Price paid by scrap yards can vary. When I'm out hunting for WW's I always call and find out what the local yard will pay so I can tell a prospective seller they can call and check but my offer is 10 cents more than they will pay. They call, it's true, we do business. One downside to this approach is when scrap yard drops price by say 15 cents the tire store still expects me to pay the price I paid when lead was higher. So one time hen lead hits 35 cents and I'm paying 45 cents there for now and always. Still not a bad price. However with time fewer and fewer shops will sell to individual and more and more weights are not lead.

If I was you I would make hay while the sun shines. If you get a good enough price you can always sell some if you want to get your cash and maybe a little profit back at some later time. Lead ingots have a market value which you can use for compare, a value that allows you to assess your production costs and effort plus purchase price. At 75 cents a pound for lead WW's it pretty much makes a lot of sense to buy $1 a pound WW ingots in S&S forum. At 50 cents a pound and mostly lead? There is some savings to be had, or room to resell and at least break even on the propane and driving costs.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 07-01-2019 at 07:40 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

25.00, that's 50.00 for probably 25 lbs. usable COWW and 25 lbs. pure lead.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Bub
    Last week I went on-line to check metal scrap spot prices and I saw 8cents a pound for ww's and 40 cents a pound doe assorted lead. I've sorted enough ww's to know that out of 100 lb's I might get 60 lb's of lead. I'll start by offering 20 bucks a bucket.

Boolit Master
    Went by a scrap recycler and had look at some yellow brass bolts i got from yearly town clean up pile. Guy says yellow brass. I say lead for sale .Yeah look over there. Laying on top of a dumboy full of lead flashing is a single lino pig. $6.00