RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: BSA Majestic

Banned

BSA Majestic

A local shop has had one in their used rack for a long time. Price is in the $450ish range. It is a nice, light, svelte rifle and I like the handling qualities of it a lot.

It's chambered in .30-06 and a rifle that light in that chambering would be a handful, but all I shoot is cast anymore and shouldn't be bad with those loads.

It seems they used a proprietary scope base system, grooves almost like a rimfire, but bigger. The bases seem hard to find, but the former owner had drilled and tapped it such that I think a Weaver or Redfield base designed for a flat receiver would work.

Are these good rifles? I figured just another Mauser clone, but it is a distinctive, push feed design.

Boolit Master

Rich
    I have one in 7mm Rem Mag and it is a great shooting rifle. Very solid, very strong action. Mine is very accurate. Yes it is a push feed but I never had a problem with it and the action ejects the cases almost like a Mauser.
    You release the bolt, to inspect the barrel etc., by pushing forward on the trigger.
    It does have a proprietary scope base system which is problem free and stable on the rifle I have.

go for it !
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Banned

Finding the scope bases will likely be the problem. That said, this one has been professionally drilled for some kind of base that should be easy enough to find, looks like any mount designed for a flat topped receiver.

About a year ago, I bought a very light and svelte 7x57 built on a small ring Mauser action and absolutely fell in love with it. Seems after that rifle, most of my bolt guns feel heavy and awkward now, not so this BSA. It'd be painful with full power loads in an '06, but the kind of cast loads I shoot and hunt with now would be no problem. Besides all that, the .30-06 is the best cartridge ever invented and there's always room for another one.

Boolit Master

One of the reasons I bought mine was how well it fit me. I didn't necessarily need a 7mm Rem Mag but the rifle came up to my shoulder with an almost perfect sight plane. The stock was a good piece of hardwood, walnut.
    atr

If you can find an old Herter's catalog, you will find the most glorious description of a BSA rifle also known as the Herter's U9. I had one in 6 millimeter Remington and it was a very good rifle..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned

The only 7mm Mag I ever owned is a large, heavy rifle and I lost interest in it pretty quickly. Guess I ought to do something with it. Since I started hunting with cast, such rifles ceased to be very interesting. Can't imagine something that big in something this light.

The good news is, that rifle isn't likely to go anywhere anytime soon. And it's been there at least a year, I just didn't pay much attention to it.

Boolit Master

that 7mmRem Mag was a leap up for me in terms of recoil.
    I have a light .308, 30-06 and a medium weight 35 Whelen and the recoil from each is something I have to pay attention to. That 7mm Mag is a good jump up from those three. Its not like a firm "push", more like a serious "hit" on the shoulder. Takes lots of concentration. Alas, cast does not work well with that cartridge.
    go for it

Boolit Master
    I have the BSA Monarch in 243, It's a beautiful gun and shoots great. It looks like this one http://www.legacyfirearms.com/Shop-read-378.html