Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: July 2019, Contest topic: Special Projects

Moderator Emeritus

July 2019, Contest topic: Special Projects

July 2019
    Contest topic: Special Projects

Projects that you have made, have done, or are doing. The things that you have poured your heart into and that may help or be of interest to others.

I'm not sure where this topic will take us? BUT please try to have at least some abstract connection to guns, reloading, and/or cast boolits... Let's see 'em

New contest format. New rules. See link for rules.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...90#post2797390

I am using the individual forum titles as the monthly topics (going from the top down).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

My Loading Bench and storage in my limited space, 1ft x 33inch 1 1/4 thick plywood top on a universal tool stand from amazon that is 32inches tall with an 8"x9" top made for a grinder, there is a shelf that holds my boolets, there is enough weight that it does not move at all. My storage cabinet is a Jewelry box I picked up at a yard sale I keep my Die sets and other reloading stuff in it. it sets on casters so I can move it around. this is a work in progress LOl.Attachment 244654Attachment 244655Attachment 244656
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Master
    Well something like 30 years ago, I did a conversion and sporterized a Arisaka rifle. A gunsmith had a expensive 22 target rifle barrel that he had shaved a few hundreths too much off of the barrel. He sold it to me for a huge discount. He also threaded the barrel and fitted it to the action and chambered it for 22-250 Ackley Improved for me. I polished and reblued the action and turned the bolt handle down and found a Mauser trigger unit that fit it quite well too. I replaced the stock with a nice Walnut one. The action got drilled and tapped for scope mounts. The picture shows it with a common 3x9 scope on it as I got talked into selling the high power target scope I had been using for varmint hunting. I am quite happy with it as on my good days I can put ten rounds into one hole at a 100 yards with it. Anyway that is about it for my gunsmithing projects.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22x250_Ack_imp_Arisaka_01a.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	244944

Name:	22x250_Ack_imp_Arisaka_02a.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	13.7 KB 
ID:	244945
    Last edited by Earlwb; 07-08-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: typo

Boolit Master

Name:	20190419_145334.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	245113Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190308_140021.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	245114Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3Front_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	245130
    Last edited by Taylor; 07-12-2019 at 02:20 PM.
    Pro Patria-Ne Desit Virtus

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Time ago my Lee primer tool broke at the link. There are no spares and no new tools by any manufacturer down here in LLama Land. Priming cases with a rod and hammer on a flat steel surface does get tiresome fast.

So my "Special Project" was to get the small pivot attached to the lever and working.
    I drilled the small pivot twice and epoxied small steel wires into the holes Bent the wires to shape so the small pivot located properly and the wires followed the contour of the link.
    Expoxy followed in stages. Trimmed the excess and through testing got it to fit properly with no binding.
    And yes it works ! No idea for how long but last Saturday I primed a batch of cases.

Name:	Lee Link B.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	245262Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee Link A.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	36.4 KB 
ID:	245263
    Last edited by missionary5155; 07-15-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: pvot needed an i
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Nice job on repairing the priming tool. Do let us know how well it holds up over time.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Well my project was to start cutting out loading blocks using the CNC router we have at work. Coding all the programs took about three days and we started to run our first 5x10 sheets yesterday. Still have about a week to go and then some of these products will be able to be offered to everyone on Castboolits.

One of the products we are making is a CNC LUBE TUBE HOLDER BASE that is cut to fit a section of schedule 40 PVC and a 3/8th inch length of aluminum rod for the center (image 3 and 4). We started cutting out the pieces yesterday not just the lube tube base, but also all the other base loading blocks. Each LUBE TUBE base is made to hold 8 of these LUBE TUBES. Here are a few images of the project. We are also making loading blocks for Rifle, Pistol, and Shotguns.

The last image is the test block we made a month or so ago that I took home to test on how it worked, you know, kick the tires and drive it around the block and see if and what modifications needed to be made to it if any.

Last edited by MOA; 07-16-2019 at 04:46 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    Well my project was to start cutting out loading blocks using the CNC router we have at work. Coding all the programs took about three days and we started to run our first 5x10 sheets yesterday. Still have about a week to go and then some of these products will be able to be offered to everyone on Castboolits.

One of the products we are making is a CNC LUBE TUBE HOLDER BASE that is cut to fit a section of schedule 40 PVC and a 3/8th inch length of aluminum rod for the center (image 3 and 4). We started cutting out the pieces yesterday not just the lube tube base, but also all the other base loading blocks. Each LUBE TUBE base is made to hold 8 of these LUBE TUBES. Here are a few images of the project. We are also making loading blocks for Rifle, Pistol, and Shotguns.

The last image is the test block we made a month or so ago that I took home to test on how it worked, you know, kick the tires and drive it around the block and see if and what modifications needed to be made to it if any.

Sweet looking work there.
    Cheers

no34570

"I'll tell you what rule we applied sir,We applied rule 3-0-3, We caught them and we shot them, under rule 3-0-3." :Lt Harry " Breaker" Morant at his court martial in January 1902.

Boolit Buddy

i just finished doing the stock on this 1899 swedish mauser in 6.5x55se.

it was brought to me by a friend with the original stock broke right behind the action. he bought a nice walnut blank which i shaped and finished for him. range tested after it was finished shoots under MOA

according to the serial number this rifle was made in Germany by Waffenfabrik Mauser Oberndorf in 1899, one of only about 14,000 made by them that year. The inspector marking "GF" stands for Gustaf F. V. Fredenberg who served in that capacity from 1894 through 1902.

Name:	1899 swedish mauser.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	245469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1899 swedish mauser2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	245470Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1899 swedish mauser3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	41.0 KB 
ID:	245471
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Sweet looking work on that puppy gramps.

This was a project from last fall and I've been busy moving to Montana sooooo, my submittal.

The stock on this 4-digit 1962 Ruger .44 Mag Carbine was worse for the wear, so I refinished it. Before, after photos and glamour shots.
    My goal was not to make the stock butt-smooth but keep it's original integrity and strip the old finish off.

Returned after 30 plus years, this M1 Garand D was lost over 30 years ago taken / stolen by an ex-wife, I have searched at every gun show and saturday on the last table at the back corner of the show I saw an old Garand D, I picked up the garand and then checked the serial number and to my astonishment and disbelief there in my hands was my old Garand over 30 years and its now back with me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2776.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	245607

Boolit Grand Master

30 years is one long stretch of searching to complete your project !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gunners Mate View Post
    Returned after 30 plus years, this M1 Garand D was lost over 30 years ago taken / stolen by an ex-wife, I have searched at every gun show and saturday on the last table at the back corner of the show I saw an old Garand D, I picked up the garand and then checked the serial number and to my astonishment and disbelief there in my hands was my old Garand over 30 years and its now back with me. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2776.JPG 
Views:	91 
Size:	94.3 KB 
ID:	245607
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master

Nice job on the 44 carbine! Looks factory!

Boolit Master
    30 years wow .hope you can relax now.

Boolit Mold
    That's a great idea. Wonder if I can talk my wife out of her jewelry box.