RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: .380 acp round nose mold

.380 acp round nose mold

I know Lee makes a 102 round nose, but only in a 2 cavity. Are there any good, light ish, round nose 4 or 6 cavity moulds? Maybe I'll hop in the group buy section to see if there's one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Check the catalog, I'd be surprised if RCBS didn't offer one in 4 cavity.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Check the Accurate Molds catalog page 5 about halfway down. 35-090A and 35-090AT. Not quite round nose but close.
    http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=5

Moderator Emeritus

"Good" is a subjective question. I cast, load, and shoot two light-ish round nose bullets -- both from 4-cavity moulds. They are, to wit, the Lyman 356-632, a .380ACP 100 gr. 4-cavity mould (RNFP) bullet which uses a#402 top punch; and, a tad lighter, a RCBS 38-090 .380ACP mould which casts bullets sized with a #311 top punch. I NEVER respond to .380acp queries without a glance at the scar on my left forefinger, adding a cautionary "be careful!" to all when loading this diminutive cartridge! At the time I was using a Lyman All American turret, and -- with a bullet between thumb and said forefinger, lowered the handle -- seating a bit of skin (ow!!!), my having been just a wee bit off where the cast bullet should have been...
    BEST!
    geo

Quote Originally Posted by georgerkahn View Post
    "Good" is a subjective question. I cast, load, and shoot two light-ish round nose bullets -- both from 4-cavity moulds. They are, to wit, the Lyman 356-632, a .380ACP 100 gr. 4-cavity mould (RNFP) bullet which uses a#402 top punch; and, a tad lighter, a RCBS 38-090 .380ACP mould which casts bullets sized with a #311 top punch. I NEVER respond to .380acp queries without a glance at the scar on my left forefinger, adding a cautionary "be careful!" to all when loading this diminutive cartridge! At the time I was using a Lyman All American turret, and -- with a bullet between thumb and said forefinger, lowered the handle -- seating a bit of skin (ow!!!), my having been just a wee bit off where the cast bullet should have been...
    BEST!
    geo

Ouch....I've been pinched with the 380 but never to the point of loosing skin. I've been pinched with 9mm as well. The cases are so small for my fat sausage fingers....I'll bet the 32 crowd has the same issues.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    BEST!
    geo
    Sorry to hear about you getting hurt. Unfortunately i to have fingers that look a lot like sausages. 380 has never given me a problem. I have been pinched a few times loading the 32 sw( short) and 25 acp. I load a lot of both and they get me once in a while. Usually when i try to hurry sizing them. But have never been hurt bad.

I have one of these from NOE

TL358-100-RF-BE2 RG2 cavity PB Brass

You can get it in a 4 cavity I believe. It shoots well in my 380's.

-
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    The old 100 grain round nose H&G S-55 molds come up for sale from time to time. They Ransom Rest group quite well in a 9mm at 25 yards, even though it was designed for a 380.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&G S55 Mold-7_1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	244514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	270.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	244513

BEST!
    geo
    Luckily, I haven't hurt myself, YET. I saw one too many pictures(only took one) of decapping pins though fingers before I started actually loading. Ever since I've been very mindful of where my fingers are while anything is moving

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    The old 100 grain round nose H&G S-55 molds come up for sale from time to time. They Ransom Rest group quite well in a 9mm at 25 yards, even though it was designed for a 380.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	H&G S55 Mold-7_1.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	244514Click image for larger version. 

Name:	270.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	20.9 KB 
ID:	244513
    That looks exactly like what I'm after!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a 4 cavity Lyman 356-242 that casts nominal 92 grain RN boolits, but I have to confess it gets little use these days. My go to 380 boolit is the Ranch Dog 356-100 RF. It is a 6 cavity, and, IME, casts better than the general run of LEE molds.
    Loaded with 3.0 grains of WW-231, it is functions perfectly from my PPK/s, Colt Mustang, Beretta 84F, and 7 out of 8 from an old LLama (which FTF's the last round every time, no matter what ammo is used.)
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Check the catalog, I'd be surprised if RCBS didn't offer one in 4 cavity.
    RCBS does not offer 4 cavity moulds....unless they just started doing it.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    You are correct RCBS only does 1 & 2 cavity. For handgun that is just not the production I would want.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    You are correct RCBS only does 1 & 2 cavity. For handgun that is just not the production I would want.
    You are correct about production.
    I have to say that RCBS makes very nice quality moulds, but how much can you do with a 2 cavity? I shoot a fair amount of full auto and two cavities just doesn't do it.
    I have a 380 subgun and use the H&G S55 for that bullet. I would encourage the original poster to watch for a H&G S55, hopefully 4 cavities or better, depending on how much you shoot. Two cavities can still do a fair number of bullets if you want to put in the time. My recollection is that you can do 200 or so in an evening with a 2 cavity. Not bad, but not if you shoot a LOT.
    My S55? A a TEN cavity. Once that beast gets up to temperature you can drain a 20 lb pot very quickly and put out a LOT of bullets.....PRODUCTION!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    I can consistently drop 30 bullets a minute from my old H&G S55 10 cavity. I do have to continually preheat ingots to keep up as 20 pounds goes fast. In an evening I cast several thousand. I too like the S55. I PC 6 pounds of bullets at a time and cook about 5K at a time so I would come close to keeping up. BTW: The 25 yard Ransom Rest group posted was shot from my 9mm S&W 1911 at 1300+ fps. A good shooting bullet and at 100 grains, a lot out of bullets from a pound of lead.