Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Are LARGE obsolete cartridges actually Obsolete?

I wish. the 86 is a Browning 45/70, the 76 is Uberti, 45-75.

Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
    I wish. the 86 is a Browning 45/70, the 76 is Uberti, 45-75.
    Well to be honest repros usually cost more then originals but people like them better because you dont need low fps rounds. Still nice rifles!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Well to be honest repros usually cost more then originals but people like them better because you dont need low fps rounds. Still nice rifles!
    That's news to me. I think that there would be a lot of guys wondering where you can find originals cheaper than the repros. I think maybe you have been extremely lucky in finding treasures at bargain prices. Maybe you should have your guns looked over by someone who knows values well. You may find that they are worth a lot more than you realize.
    OR I COULD BE COMPLETELY WRONG....THAT HAS BEEN KNOWN TO HAPPEN.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    That's news to me. I think that there would be a lot of guys wondering where you can find originals cheaper than the repros. I think maybe you have been extremely lucky in finding treasures at bargain prices. Maybe you should have your guns looked over by someone who knows values well. You may find that they are worth a lot more than you realize.
    OR I COULD BE COMPLETELY WRONG....THAT HAS BEEN KNOWN TO HAPPEN.
    Traffer
    I was going to make similar comment ----downunder we dont see hardly any of the big winchesters and the few are very pricey - too much dollars for me for sure - the last shootable 86 I saw was $4K (probably cheap at the price it was a decent gun) - I bought my repro Chiappa for a touch less than half - yeah the Chiappa will (maybe) hold its value as money inflates away and the antique will for sure gain in value over the years - I am gonna keep it and shoot it so the benefit of an antique would pass to someone else anyway ----------model 92's are still plentiful - beaters specially - and you can buy one and rebarrel it cheaper than a new rossi - provided you can do the barrel work or have a mate will do it (both for me so am lucky). Like you I think Kev has probably been fortunate - its great to see a young feller with his interest and even better that he's been presented with opportunities

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Traffer
    I was going to make similar comment ----downunder we dont see hardly any of the big winchesters and the few are very pricey - too much dollars for me for sure - the last shootable 86 I saw was $4K (probably cheap at the price it was a decent gun) - I bought my repro Chiappa for a touch less than half - yeah the Chiappa will (maybe) hold its value as money inflates away and the antique will for sure gain in value over the years - I am gonna keep it and shoot it so the benefit of an antique would pass to someone else anyway ----------model 92's are still plentiful - beaters specially - and you can buy one and rebarrel it cheaper than a new rossi - provided you can do the barrel work or have a mate will do it (both for me so am lucky). Like you I think Kev has probably been fortunate - its great to see a young feller with his interest and even better that he's been presented with opportunities
    Well im not sure id say fortunate. (Story time.) For example:
    (Picture above)
    My 86 was bought in college in between classes. I went to the store 5 minutes away with maybe 400$. I was browsing and asked to see the rifle with the octagon barrel on the floor.... And there it was. The man said it was a project rifle nad that he couldn't make a good deal on it because the employee paid way to much. He was asking 300$ so I got him down to 275$ I think, might be 250$.
    Octagon barrel,button/halfmag, with leaf rear sight. All original. I brought it to a gunsmith after shooting it and he was awinchester collector. It was rusty and dirty still. He said for it in this condition before cleaning it all up. he would personally give me 3000$. WIN FOR ME.

I bought a Winchester 1873 44-40 made in 1888 fully nickel plated. Not original from factory. When I bought it an old man at a table saw me and said it's not worth alot because it isnt factory. keep in mind its an old plating. It also has the Canadian motto painted on the stock (its very brittle and old paint). Paid the dang thing 3000$ at a gunshow with my dad as the bad influence. He doesnt know a whole lot about guns but freaked when he saw it and convinced me. So far everyone iv'e asked about value said that it is rare enough to have it nickel plated and it's in extreme demand. They said between 3000$-4000$. MAYBE A WIN!?

Not a winchester but I bought a Stevens high power model 425 in .32 Remington. Which I heard museums are looking for them with the serial numebrs because they are extremely rare with only about 1000 made that are known so far... Paid it 1100$. MAYBE A WIN!?

Bought an 1887 shotgun 12gauge made in 1888. I've been wanting one forever. They look awesome I find. Gun show find again... Its in awesome condition, except for a chip out the stock that had been nailed in but I dont mind, it gives character. The guy wanted 1000$. I said 800$, he smiled, and agreed to my surprise. I saw one later on at another show that was super rusty and the guy wanted 1200$. LOOKS LIKE A WIN!

Umm... 11/10 gauge WC scott and sons SxS? Not a lever gun but im trying to find what I think I did decent on? They sell for crazy amounts. it has pitting around the bore, but thats it. Fully engraved and all. Not one of my favorites but hey... The guy said 11 gauge and it intrigued me. It also says 11 under the forearm but I shoot handloaded 10's. I asked a man at a gun show that had one and he said its extremely possible for it to be an 11. He said the gap between 10 and 11 is pretty small so maybe they both chamber. It works, and its nice so that's all I care about.

Ya soo... I dont think I have anymore pictures and I can't think of any other guns I have that would intrigue you guys. I'd need to go in the safe and check. They are't all nice... I have alot of 100$ guns also! Thanks for reading if you got this far

Pretty awesome guns Kev, the deal just makes it sweeter. If it were me, I'd us em too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Pretty awesome guns Kev, the deal just makes it sweeter. If it were me, I'd us em too.
    I don't own anything I wouldn't shoot. I use everything I have.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456