Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Trying an experiment

Boolit Master

Trying an experiment

I haven't been all that thrilled with my accuracy out of any of my .45 Colts (4 of them). I've tried several different powders and multiple loads with each. The one thing all the loads have in common is powder coating on the bullets. I just finished loading a large batch (over 100 rounds) using both coated and non-coated bullets. I duplicated powder charges. I also included 2 different primers. As soon as I get the chance, I'm going to the range and will be trying them out. I want to see if powder coating vs. standard lubes really makes any difference. I'll probably be chronoing the loads at the same time. I know those .45s can deliver more than I've been getting....

Boolit Master
    I'd like to see what you find or don't.

I'm not a powder coater, at least not yet, but I'd be very interested in hearing your results.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    You do realize that the loads, even with the exact charge will not chronograph the same? The PC will produce less friction and will show approximately a 5% increase in velocity.

I don't shoot 45 Colt, but I do shoot 45 ACP and have a number of PC loads that will easily group 1-1/2" or less at 25 Yds.

Boolit Master

Haven't had a chance to test them yet; crazy busy! I'm not concerned about velocity, only accuracy. For any particular load, which is more accurate? Some theorize that uneven thicknesses of powder coating can cause inaccuracy. I don't know so I'm going to experiment. Whatever I find may or may not apply to other folks and their firearms. Only trying it for yourselves can answer that question. I'm looking for the best from MY firearms. I hope to get out next week to find out. My problem aside from being so bust is that the temps have been in the high 80s to 90s with high humidity and that is a health hazard for me. Minor ticker problems. I'll post my results when I have them.

Boolit Master

good thing you don't live in Ala.!

Boolit Master
    Living in the Texas Gulf Coast I know all about summer heat and High humidity. We will top out at about 96 degrees today and most days the humidity runs 75-90%. Kind of takes the fun out of shooting a rifle when you are hunkered over a hot barrel, sweat running down into your eyes faster that you can wipe it off to take a shot and wind speed is zero.

As far as accuracy most of the time your most accurate load will not be the highest velocity load. Sometimes it works out that way, but trying a lot of different powders and bullet combinations is the best way to purposely make that happen.

As far as PC thickness causing inaccuracy I don't see that as a problem, when the bullet you cast is not concentric (lopsided) when it comes out of the mold. You can size the bands and make it round, but the remainder of the bullet remains lopsided. Simple fact, a lopsided bullet is going to wobble and once the wobble starts it is only going to get worse as will the accuracy.
    Last edited by Dragonheart; 07-08-2019 at 07:31 PM.

Boolit Master

Humm interesting thread I'm a couple hours north of Dragonheart but it's only a 104° (feels like today)so I fully understand you waiting for better weather to test your loads
    Good luck please let us know how it went.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Have you measured the cyl throats on your 45colts?
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Got out today and tested some loads in the Uberti 1873 winchester clone. Was shooting 6.5 gr. of Promo behind a 250 gr rnfp. At 100 yds, the uncoated loads went into 3.75 inches. The pc rounds went into 3.40 inches. That small difference is easily within probable shooter error. Didn't have time to chrono those loads. Both groups were 10 shot groups. Each showed a tighter cluster in the middle with 4-5 scattered around the perimeter. Either would certainly be good enough for whitetails. Will keep testing different loads as time permits.