Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 gal tote full of brass

18 gal tote full of brass

There’s a lady on Facebook selling 18 gal totes full of brass. She as 2 and is asking $500 a piece. She says they weigh around 100lbs which I don’t believe. In the pictures I see quite a few steel cases. What would y’all pay a piece for this brass? I’ve attached pictures of each tote. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Personally I would not pay much at all for them,
    At least without knowing the caliber composition

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    From looks:
    No way near 18gallon (not full box)
    Lots of iron in there (scrap dealer deduct heavily for that)
    No special cases and lots of it might be Berdan primed.

So no, use your money on beer and be happy.

Boolit Master
    Let’s say there is 14,000 pieces of brass in said tote mixed, at .02 per that would be $280.00. Looks like floor sweepings to me. You could divide 100# by what ever fired round would weigh to get some idea as to how many are there. 7000 gr to pound.

Well I knew from the get go it wasn’t worth anything close to $500/tote. Y’all made good points and backed up my original discussion to pass. I’ll go buy brass from my local range.

Boolit Master
    Yes your more likely to get what you want also.

Boolit Grand Master

For a mix lot of stuff like that I wouldn't pay more than scrape price. That currently is $1.25 a pound. The steel case are worth zero. $40 per tote would be about scrape price and maybe a little high depending on how much steel.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I’d pay .10 per pound, and loading it in my truck is included in that offer. Lol. That person is smoking crack and is way, way, way, way, way, over priced for a box of random brass.

$10-20 after a quick look through the container

Moderator Emeritus
    About $1per pound, actual weight. Scrap or sell the calibers you don’t use. I would guess the tote is around 150 lbs.

Moderator Emeritus

Hmmmm... Day before yesterday (28th) I took two sheet rock buckets of brass to a local recycler, and left with $88.30. He photocopied my driver license and had me sign a slip attesting there were no "live" rounds in either bucket, too. The weight on scale was 70.64 pounds -- which is $1.25 per pound.
    If the lady took them to place I did, she'd get (IF it is 100 pounds in each tote) $125.00 for each. Also, in my case, though, I got new sheet rock buckets to replace -- rather than dump -- mine. One is from Home Depot with a picture of Homer Simpson on it ...
    Perhaps you can ring a metal recycling place in your locale to get rates near you. Added, maybe I'm not looking just right, but some cases in her totes appear to NOT be brass?
    geo

like many out there, she is crazy to ask that much. and it almost looks like there is just good stuff sprinkled on top. and junk underneath.
    My firearms project blog

I've never been sorry for buying brass from my local range, be it pistol or rifle.

I suspect even at 1/10th of what she wants your going to have to work hard to get your value out of it. And will probably end up with a lot of alum/steel cases that I don't think anyone wants.

Boolit Buddy
    This could go right next to that other post about how sellers need to "Know" what they're selling !
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Grand Master

I agree with the others, that its grossly overpriced. So overpriced that a reasonably offer would probably scare her! I see a lot of steel in there and also a lot of stuff thats worth .02 cents each or less.

Call me different if you will but I like looking through stuff like that. But not $500 worth!

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I agree with the others, that its grossly overpriced. So overpriced that a reasonably offer would probably scare her! I see a lot of steel in there and also a lot of stuff thats worth .02 cents each or less.

Call me different if you will but I like looking through stuff like that. But not $500 worth!
    See that’s the only reason why I really wanted it cause I like looking through it too.

Boolit Master

Is that a live round in the middle of tub 1?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Is that a live round in the middle of tub 1?
    That’s like where’s Waldo I found it
    Last edited by onelight; 07-01-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Ummm, nope. Too many unknowns. I see steel cases and some aluminum cases, bottle necked and a few straight sided, might wind up with a few hundred cases I don't need/want or don't reload. My math sucks, so I wouldn't even try to figger scrap price. I think I'd spend $75 on the Herter's press in the other thread and have lunch with the left over $25...
    Last edited by mdi; 07-01-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    A five gallon bucket of mixed brass is about 55 pounds give or take, you have no way of determining how much is berdan primed, aluminum, or steel cased. Around here, NE KS, I am having trouble finding a buyer for cartridge brass scrap. If you are still considering buying this brass, weigh the tote and allow some waste for steel cases and junk. I would also suggest that you transfer the contents into buckets so you can find any large unwanted items that are without value. Also I have found buckets that have clean brass on top, but a few inches of water in the bottom. It did not make me happy.

A good reason to transfer the contents from the tote is to put the bucket on a bathroom scale and read the weight. It will take more time but could save you big. If the seller is reluctant to allow that, you had better walk on the deal and let someone else have the educational experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast