MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Wideners Load Data
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Red dot and 32 s& w LONG

Boolit Master
    Yes. Accuracy, point of aim and point of impact .

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are happy that is the main thing but velocity is likely in the 600-620 fps range.

Depending upon seating depth and other factors of course. You are in no danger of wearing out the gun, certainly.

As psi gets on the low side the 32 Long sees wides swings in velocity variation, especially as the powder shifts in the case. There is good reason not to go too light, and loading to the higher end of the pressure range cleans up some of the soot that occurs at low pressure and makes the round more consistent. The gun should still shoot to desired point of impact as velocity increases, as the gun was regulated for 98 grain bullets. Factory loads in RN persuasion go from 720 to near 800 fps.

Whether the gun hits to point of impact has more to do with bullet weight than bullet speed. If the bullet weight is standard for the caliber it will do so.

A lot of time behind a chronograph and noting velocity readings after many firings has me preferring the 98 RCBS SWC at around 780-820fps, more deeply seated 98 SWC’s and RN at 720 or better and the deeply seated 98 WC’s around 700 or a little more. Of the three the RCBS 98 SWC has by far the most case volume remaining after being seated to the appropriate depth.

Boolit Master
    I may experiment a little with the powder charge, as there is definitely a little soot on the case. Not hateful, but there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    If you are happy that is the main thing but velocity is likely in the 600-620 fps range.

Depending upon seating depth and other factors of course. You are in no danger of wearing out the gun, certainly.

As psi gets on the low side the 32 Long sees wides swings in velocity variation, especially as the powder shifts in the case. There is good reason not to go too light, and loading to the higher end of the pressure range cleans up some of the soot that occurs at low pressure and makes the round more consistent. The gun should still shoot to desired point of impact as velocity increases, as the gun was regulated for 98 grain bullets. Factory loads in RN persuasion go from 720 to near 800 fps.

Whether the gun hits to point of impact has more to do with bullet weight than bullet speed. If the bullet weight is standard for the caliber it will do so.

A lot of time behind a chronograph and noting velocity readings after many firings has me preferring the 98 RCBS SWC at around 780-820fps, more deeply seated 98 SWC’s and RN at 720 or better and the deeply seated 98 WC’s around 700 or a little more. Of the three the RCBS 98 SWC has by far the most case volume remaining after being seated to the appropriate depth.
    All revolvers are a law unto themselves - handloading manuals are merely advisory.
    98 grain cast bullet swc or round nose =
    32 HE 5th Change:
    2 grains of bullseye average = 655 fps
    2.1 grain average = 688 fps
    2.2 grains average = 750 fps
    S&W Model 631:
    2 grains of bullseye average = 624 fps
    2.1 grains average = 667 fps
    2.2 grains average = 721 fps

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I am not trying to ruffle any feathers. I honestly want to know. Unless you have a specific need hunting pest eradication self defence ect. What do you get out of increasing the velocity? Increasing my charges in the 32sw and 32 swl using red dot or unique may be a little cleaner but not very much these are just not clean powders. All i do is plink with my guns and reloads. So i would like to knowis there something i am missing?

Boolit Buddy
    If you are doing pest eradication (depending on the pest), I would choose some other caliber; ie. a22mag or 17mag. If a 32 s&w is all you have when the oppertunity comes along go for it. I myself prefer a good rifle or shot gun for pest control.
    BD

Quote Originally Posted by bigdog454 View Post
    If you are doing pest eradication (depending on the pest), I would choose some other caliber; ie. a22mag or 17mag. If a 32 s&w is all you have when the oppertunity comes along go for it. I myself prefer a good rifle or shot gun for pest control.
    BD
    I agree it would not be my first choice either i just threw that in as a possible reason for needing more velocity. I usually try for the most accurate loads as i only target shoot and dont carry a 32 sw or sw long much for self defense. On occasion but not often.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I am not trying to ruffle any feathers. I honestly want to know. Unless you have a specific need hunting pest eradication self defence ect. What do you get out of increasing the velocity? Increasing my charges in the 32sw and 32 swl using red dot or unique may be a little cleaner but not very much these are just not clean powders. All i do is plink with my guns and reloads. So i would like to knowis there something i am missing?
    I must be missing it too, or on the other hand must be some folks just like more pop. As far as pest eradication goes, Elmer Keith said that the 32 S&W Long load with a round nose boolit was not good for anything like that; so that is not on the table with them (although I reckon it might have more put-down power than a 22 LR solid - maybe but not as fast as a 22LR); but they are fun to plink around with, and the round nose boolit with the old sedate factory type loads of Bullseye are quite accurate.

Boolit Grand Master
    Try very light loads with powder near bullet and powder near primer over the chronograph. After so doing you’ll know you are missing something and will not have to ask if you are missing something. Reasonable pressure is a good thing.

Certainly I am not suggesting any hot loading, but I am suggesting going low on powder charges is often not a good idea.

1.6 grains of Red Dot is very light.

Boolit Grand Master
    And....these higher pressure loads are still within acceptable norms and are very accurate. In that regard their potential is better than low pressure loads as velocity dispersion is not an accuracy friendly attribute as range increases.

As mentioned earlier I shoot at 50 yards and given a steady rest I expect to hit things at that range.

Boolit Master
    The only reason for considering a bit more powder is to eliminate some of the soot. If it changes anything or the better, so be it. In no means am I looking to hotrod this load.

So if i understand it right you will get more consistent velocity and a little cleaner burn. Ok that answers my question. I realize that i do baby my guns but 100 yrs old is one of my newer ones. But i do enjoy shooting them. I am looking to add to my 32's at every opportunity when funds permit.
    Oh almost forgot thanks i just wasn't sure the reason.

Boolit Master
    No problem. I'm learning as I go. But it sure is fun.

Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    No problem. I'm learning as I go. But it sure is fun.
    Yea it sure is. Even an old dog can learn a thing or two. I wish i could shoot in the back yard but thats a no no. But range is within 5 minutes so its not so bad.

Boolit Buddy
    R.B.. FYI only. Not that I'm recommending, 1964 Lyman book of cast bullets; 32 long, 95 gr 313226 rn bullet. Unique sug grs 3.o sug max gr 4.3 vel1010. bullseye sug grs 1.5 sug max grs 2.7 vel 910fps.
    BD

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    Yea it sure is. Even an old dog can learn a thing or two. I wish i could shoot in the back yard but thats a no no. But range is within 5 minutes so its not so bad.
    I realize I am blessed for now anyhow. I regularly shoot off my side porch steps when I am just plinking. Sit on the step with my back against the next step up and take a rest off my knees, kind of Elmer Keith fashion, except he would sit back against a tree with his knees up.

Boolit Master
    Nice. This is how my son and I shoot as well. I have a small stack of old railroad ties we shoot into. Right behind that is a 30 foot tall bank. Behind that is woods. I have a bench built around the oak tree 10 steps off the back porch. Great for plinking.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am again not suggesting anyone hotrod, but rather load to a level where good ballistic consistency is obtained.

When I first started loading for the Long I figured the smaller case (than 38 Special, at least) would lend it inherently better ballistic consistency. What I failed to consider is many of the loads listed are very light, and I found such loads to be undesirable. Low pressure and light charges are still inconsistent.

While smaller than 38, the case is much larger than and operates at considerably lower pressures than 32 ACP. Toss light loads in the equation and things get inconsistent.

Absolutely avoid Universal powder with 98 RN or SWC bullets in this cartridge. Try to stay above the 4 figure K range and closer to the SAAMI limit. Read between the lines of what Larry was suggesting earlier. To be clear, the message is that reasonable pressure is more desirable than intentionally pursuing low pressure.

Boolit Master
    I will get the chrony out the next time the boy and I shoot. You have me curious as to what velocity my 1.6 grains of red dot produces.

Boolit Grand Master
    Measure five shots with powder near bullet, then five with powder near primer. Tip gun up or down immediately before shooting, carefully level and fire.

Be ready for enlightenment. The Reader’s Digest Version is position sensitivity never goes away, but it does get less when pressures are acceptably high and the case is more full of powder, which is the reason for loading to other than low pressures in the first place.

Due to its bulk Red Dot is better at this than some other alternatives but loading to low levels will make things worse even with a suitable powder. If you know what more acceptable looks like you will not care for having less.

If I was farting around with a load as light as 1.6 grains of Red Dot I personally would use it with a deeply seated wadcutter and nothing else. I do not have much regard for lighter than consistent powder charges and standard seating depth bullets in this low pressure cartridge.

The unused case space and low pressure make it sort of a ballistic detriment.....rather the opposite of a 9mm. There is nothing detrimental about reasonable 32 Long pressure levels. There is all kinds of detriment to lightly loaded low pressure 32 Longs with excess unused case space....that is, such loads with 98 RN and SWC.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast