MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Red dot and 32 s& w LONG

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a winner then.

That .314 90 gr truncated cone works well in a huge variety from .300BO, .30-30 on up to the .32's.
    You may want to size down to .311 for 30 calibers.

For my .32's I shoot that, and a few 00 buckshot run through a .314 sizing die for plinker loads. Either alone or with a 30 cal buckshot below it. Both shoot well. But mostly it is that little .314 TC. She just works in everything.

Boolit Master
    Thank you Ghosthawk, I had been wanting to do the round ball in 32 long. I was so busy messing with the lee boolit I forgot to try the round ball.

Boolit Grand Master
    Update: I talked to Dale53 on the phone last night and he reminded me that his Lee TL SWC mould is a 6-banger from a now long-discontinued run. The design is still available in a 2 cavity, but of course the bigger mould blocks seem to be made from a different, better alloy so I can't speak for the results one would get out of these new ones. Dale's mould drops the bullets out at a scant .313"... my Lyman sizing die labeled 313 just barely kisses most of the circumference and doesn't seem to crush the TL grooves at all. Next time I venture to the Northwest Territories, Dale has promised I can make a big run of bullets with his mould so I'll have a supply to supplement my dwindling stash of the discontinued swaged Hornady SWC bullets I liked so much.

I'm still looking with great favor on the old Ideal 313445. I honestly think that has the potential to be my go-to bullet in that weight range (90-100 gr) among all the bullets I use. It casts easily and close to the desired size, can be lubed and sized readily, and seems to perform well in every 32 S&W L and H&R I've used it in. When time and opportunity permit, I'd like to try it with the "Dot Powders," both Red and Green to see how it does. Has anyone had experience along those lines?

As I said earlier, although the 32 lacks the widespread popularity of the 38 family of revolvers, I'm finding that with a little digging one can discover a world of possibilities for it, and in reality your opportunities are limited only by the time and money you're willing to spend. I haven't even started trying to see what I can do with HBWCs or their DE and button nosed brethren! I've got those moulds waiting their turn as well. So many reloads, so little time!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

My 6 cavity Lee TL314-90-SWC drop the bullets at .314 - .315 depending on alloy.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Hmmm. Green dot for 32 mag and 90-100 grain boolits? Sounds interesting. I don't have any but I have a shooting buddy that does, and wants some of my HS-7.

Boolit Grand Master

"I'd like to try it with the "Dot Powders," both Red and Green to see how it does. Has anyone had experience along those lines?"

Yes I do, have pressure test data for 32 S&WL with Green Dot under the TL314-90-SWC but since previous posted data was totally misconscrewed (pun intended) by a certain individual I'll not post it.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    If you don’t mind, Larry, please do.

More information is always good, and I could use the data points. My Good Judgement Fu is up and running and that is all that could be expected when discussing testing data results in regard to pressure.

Boolit Grand Master
    Larry, I’d like to see that data too. I really want to find some “regular loads” for my 32 S&W L guns and would be somewhat interested to see what Green Dot has to offer. Dale53 has offered to let me cast a pile of those Lee SWCs in his 6-banger, and from the standpoint of weight and case volume, I think I can also arrange to duplicate the interior ballistics with my 313445 bullet as well.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Yes Larry, I too am interested in your thorough testings.

Boolit Grand Master

Here is the test data for Alliant Green Dot in the 32 S&WL cartridge with the Lee TL314-90-SWC bullet cast of COWW + 2% tin.

The test firearm was a Contender with a 10" bull barrel chambered in 32 H&R. Pressure and velocity testing was via the Oehler m43 PBL. The strain gauge was mounted over the chamber at the location specified by SAAMI for Transducer measurements.

Loading of the cartridges was done on a Pacific single stage press using Hornady dies. Powder charges were set using an Ohaus scale but the charges were thrown with a Lee Powder thrower (it throws the smaller charges of flake powders very uniformly). Each test charge had 10 cartridges loaded for testing. However, given the nature of strain gauge pressure testing, at the lower end pressures the 1st charge (1.9) gr gave only 7 pressure measurements of the 10 shots tested. The other 3 shots gave inconsistent results and did not record. That most often is from too low a psi or too long a barrel time (>2 milliseconds).

Cases were R-P 32 S&WL cases.
    Primers were CCI 500s
    The bullets were TL in LLA, dried thoroughly and then sized at .312 (required for chambering in the tighter Contender chamber).
    The bullets were seated to the first lube groove and a mild roll crimp applied there. OAL of the loaded cartridges was 1.177".

The charges of Alliant Green Dot chosen to test were; 1.9, 2.1, 2.3, 2.5, 2.7, 2.9 and 3.1 gr based on the old Hercules Powder Guide that list a charge of 2.7 gr Green Dot in the 32 S&WL under a 98 gr lead bullet.

[Note; I am not suggest any starting load nor any max load. I am not recommending any load to anyone. I am not "hot rodding" the cartridge, just reporting the results of testing Green Dot powder in it under a 90 gr cast bullet. I am only presenting the test data from the charges tested as requested by several on this thread. You are free to use the data if you choose any way you want. Anyone else is also free to use the data any way they want to. The Contender I tested these loads in is entirely capable of handling the psi's generated w/o any damage to the firearm or danger to me or anyone else at the range when I was testing (actually was there by myself anyway). There is no "right" or "wrong" here, just facts. So, please, no PMs like that last one.]

It was 90 degrees during the test (firearm and ammo were shaded), humidity was 30% and the barometric pressure was 29.85.

Velocity was measured with the start screen at 15' from the muzzle. Screen spacing was 4'. The M43 PSB converts the screened velocity measurement to muzzle velocity and that is what is reported.

Test data;
    [powder charge, pressure in psi, velocity in fps]

1.9 gr, 13,100, 846

2.1 gr, 13,900, 908

2.3 gr, 15,500, 963

2.5 gr, 17,000, 1004

2.7 gr, 17,800, 1051 [Note; This is close to the SAAMI MAP of the 32 S&W which is said to be safe for use in all 32 S&WL revolvers]

2.9 gr, 20,100, 1104

3.1 gr, 22,100, 1131

FYI;
    The burning rate of Green Dot is faster than Unique and slower than Bullseye. The velocities listed are from the 10" closed breach barrel of the Contender. Of course the velocity will be much less in the small revolvers usually chambered in 32 S&WL. With similar loads of both Unique and Bullseye under this same bullet the velocity out of my 3" M30 S&W revolver run just about 200 fps less than the velocity of the same loads out of the 10" Contender.
    Last edited by No_1; 07-31-2019 at 08:20 PM.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, Larry! That’s exactly the kind of information I want and need. I can pick a place on that continuum to start, do my initial testing with my stud hoss Ruger Blackhawk, then find a mild, accurate load that works for me. Th at mould of Dale’s looks destined for a workout next time I venture into the NW Territories.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    Thank you Larry. I have a place to start now, in the sp101.

Boolit Master
    Ok. Did some more loads with a different boolit provided to me by green frog. I hope to get to shoot them one day this week. Same 1.6 grains of red dot. And a few at 2.0 grains of red dot. I will chronograph the loads and do the powder position test as well.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    Ok. Did some more loads with a different boolit provided to me by green frog. I hope to get to shoot them one day this week. Same 1.6 grains of red dot. And a few at 2.0 grains of red dot. I will chronograph the loads and do the powder position test as well.
    I believe your hooked. Got the 32 fever.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I believe your hooked. Got the 32 fever.
    Yup. Pretty sure I do as well. Could be worse I guess.

Boolit Master
    Pretty good topic there for a while. I don't even own a .32, although I have shot more than a couple.

Please be nice & return to the info that we all would like to see & keep the rest separate. I read post #40 a while back as quoted below & think some other folks may want to do as advised.

Hate to see a pretty decent topic with some decent info, relegated to the dumpster...

Post#40:
    Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    Everyone slow down and take a breather. This is a great thread, if it goes off the rails it will be locked.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Cast Boolits Owner

Thread cleaned up and reopened for discussion.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by No_1 View Post
    Thread cleaned up and reopened for discussion.
    Nice!

It is a good decision by the Admin/Staff, even for those of us who are here just to learn more, and don't even play with the same stuff right now!
    ( Maybe later, though. )

Thanks!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Couple days ago I picked up a new pound of Red Dot and have some loaded under the Lee TL314-90 in both 32 S&W and 32 S&WL for pressure testing. Also picked up some old WRA and UMC 32 S&W along with a box of R-P 32 S&W to test. Decided to also test some GOEX 4fg and Cartridge BP in both cartridges. Will report when testing is done.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast