MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Red dot and 32 s& w LONG

Boolit Grand Master
    That Mihec bullet is a real sleeper. You don't hear much about it, but not only was it available as a group buy, but I believe it is now a stock item for MP. One thing about it that surprised me was in my last test using up my remaining supply of them was that not only were they accurate, but they cut cleaner holes than the SWCs I was shooting in the same session. After all the bullet moulds I've bought and all the bullets and loads I've tried, this may end up being my "go to" bullet for routine loads for the 32 S&W Long. Who'da thunk it?

I'm in the process of arranging a trade for a Star sizer like the one I used at Casa 53 and a heater plate so I can lube with "Panama Red" (aka Carnauba Red) which is a HAARRD lube.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    More load data results.

The following was with R-P cases and WSP primers.

Same format as before (see other post) except in some cases the charges were weighed and not metered.

Lyman 313492 NOE clone 89 grain SWC-WC
    1.8 Red Dot 680 fps
    0.24 CC (2.3) Bullseye 805 fps.....fine field load seemingly fairly mild. Incidentally this gave about 20 inches of penetration in “gelatin equivalent” when tested for penetration.
    0.27 CC (2.5) Bullseye 880 fps. About max for my use and a do not exceed charge per good advice from frequent users here that post soundly considered recommendations.

RCBS 98 WC
    0.27 CC (1.9) Red Dot 745 fps getting close to about max for wadcutters of this type in terms of speed. A bit puzzled this outruns 2.0 Bullseye as they are normally close. But then...different cases, deeply seated bullets, and variations in actual thrown charge weight can account for this.

When I bought my first 32 Long revolver, the Smith Regulation Police, it came with a mixed bag of brass including Lapua, GECO, Remington, Winchester, etc.

Loading it indiscriminately as to brand with the same powder charge and shooting it over the chronograph did not exactly yield consistent and low velocity spreads.

Given the differences in brass that could occur (not saying that they all differ wildly, but some do, notably Starline, for example) I would not suggest mixing case brands. I have not done a detailed analysis of which brands are similar and which are different and the velocity increase or decrease that could be expected when changing from one brand to another. Except Starline.

I just noted when different case brands were in the cylinder extreme spreads in velocity increased. For that reason unless you know from past use which particular case brands give similar velocities I would not suggest mixing cases.

Despite the usual relative mildness of 32 Long pressures a number of that bag of mixed cases started splitting sooner than fresh brass could be expected to do. Older somewhat used brass gets brittle and should be viewed as suspect and potentially a waste of good reloading components, especially if composed of mixed old brass.

Boolit Grand Master
    The 0.27 CC Micro cavity mentioned above actually meters Red Dot reliably as the cavity is wide but fairly shallow, its depth attenuated by a slider bar intended to reduce cavity volume. The width of the cavity overcomes the problems inherent to large flake powders. I cannot say it is an equivalent in terms of meterability to a finer granuled powder in these charge weights but it does work passably for general shooting, and I have a whole lot of Red Dot.

This is a way to use it, but at 1.9 grains a shot I won’t use it very fast. With the wadcutter bullet it is very speed/charge weight efficient and would serve for most 32 Long use at ranges I can hit something as opposed to lobbing one out there and hoping. Virtually any suitable load with the RCBS 98 WC shoots very well, and 700-750 fps is my desired velocity range.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    That Mihec bullet is a real sleeper. You don't hear much about it, but not only was it available as a group buy, but I believe it is now a stock item for MP. One thing about it that surprised me was in my last test using up my remaining supply of them was that not only were they accurate, but they cut cleaner holes than the SWCs I was shooting in the same session. After all the bullet moulds I've bought and all the bullets and loads I've tried, this may end up being my "go to" bullet for routine loads for the 32 S&W Long. Who'da thunk it?

I'm in the process of arranging a trade for a Star sizer like the one I used at Casa 53 and a heater plate so I can lube with "Panama Red" (aka Carnauba Red) which is a HAARRD lube.

Froggie
    The MP 314-640-100 is one of my two favorite molds for my 32's. I use it and the output of a 5 cavity NOE copy of the RCBS 32-98 SWC almost exclusively in everything 32 revolver except my 32-20"s. There I load the RCBS wadcutter boolit in loads meant for my Police Positive Special and the RCBS or MP molds for My Browning or Army Special--That Army Special is a gem. I use a load from the RCBS Cast Bullet Manual No.1 that is higher than generally recommended today, but which shoots so darned well I refuse to tinker with it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    More load data results.

The following was with R-P cases and WSP primers.

Same format as before (see other post) except in some cases the charges were weighed and not metered.

Lyman 313492 NOE clone 89 grain SWC-WC
    1.8 Red Dot 680 fps
    0.24 CC (2.3) Bullseye 805 fps.....fine field load seemingly fairly mild. Incidentally this gave about 20 inches of penetration in “gelatin equivalent” when tested for penetration.
    0.27 CC (2.5) Bullseye 880 fps. About max for my use and a do not exceed charge per good advice from frequent users here that post soundly considered recommendations.

RCBS 98 WC
    0.27 CC (1.9) Red Dot 745 fps getting close to about max for wadcutters of this type in terms of speed. A bit puzzled this outruns 2.0 Bullseye as they are normally close. But then...different cases, deeply seated bullets, and variations in actual thrown charge weight can account for this.

When I bought my first 32 Long revolver, the Smith Regulation Police, it came with a mixed bag of brass including Lapua, GECO, Remington, Winchester, etc.

Loading it indiscriminately as to brand with the same powder charge and shooting it over the chronograph did not exactly yield consistent and low velocity spreads.

Given the differences in brass that could occur (not saying that they all differ wildly, but some do, notably Starline, for example) I would not suggest mixing case brands. I have not done a detailed analysis of which brands are similar and which are different and the velocity increase or decrease that could be expected when changing from one brand to another. Except Starline.

I just noted when different case brands were in the cylinder extreme spreads in velocity increased. For that reason unless you know from past use which particular case brands give similar velocities I would not suggest mixing cases.

Despite the usual relative mildness of 32 Long pressures a number of that bag of mixed cases started splitting sooner than fresh brass could be expected to do. Older somewhat used brass gets brittle and should be viewed as suspect and potentially a waste of good reloading components, especially if composed of mixed old brass.
    All I have are starine brass and a box of empty remington. The remington are reserved for the fun little round ball loads. I will be using starline for all cast loads. Very good information sir, thank you.

Boolit Grand Master
    You are quite welcome. You could also use the Remington brass for the wadcutters of deeper seating depth.

The other thing I found useful are not just round ball loads, but double round ball loads. These because of seating depth generally should be used with wadcutter appropriate charges. I do not exceed about 720 fps with these and that is what they get with around 2 grains of Bullseye.

Two round balls weigh about the same as a single 98 grain bullet, and instead of shooting low like a single ball they hit to the sights. At 25-30 feet they hit about half of an inch apart and they do not carry as far as a regular bullet.

I have not yet shot a whole lot of critters with these but those I have folded up pretty quick. Sort of like shooting a wider bullet at something in terms of hit potential.

The balls should be seated such that the top ball is a little below its full diameter in the case so a crimp can be thrown into it to keep the ball in place under recoil.

Boolit Master
    I may try that out. Thanks again.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CF7D2ECA-E5F9-4A6B-BF60-AD2388A47023.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	246298

Hopefully this shows up. Double ball at 35 feet. Usually balls strike in a vertical line with dispersion varying with distance as one would expect.

Boolit Master
    It showed up just fine. That's pretty darn close together for that distance.

Boolit Grand Master
    They are usable at distances further than one might think depending upon the size of just what you are shooting at.

Boolit Master
    Shot 100 32 s&w long today. 100gr lee round nose, powder coated. This time I worked with the sp101. 1.6gr of red dot is definitely too light of a charge, but, this boolit will work for sp101, just not for the hand ejecter.
    The sp101 had a really good group.

As a side note, the American Eagle 100gr jacketed soft point factory loads are surprisingly easy to manage in the sp101. I may have to get some hornady 100gr xtp bullets to play around with.

I also had similar results with double ball loads.

I my case I was loading over 2 gr of Red Dot, then drop in a #1 buckshot. Then a 00 buck that had been through a .314 sizer and crimp. They seem to stay put and at 20 feet my results were very much the same. 2 holes less than half an inch apart.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    Shot 100 32 s&w long today. 100gr lee round nose, powder coated. This time I worked with the sp101. 1.6gr of red dot is definitely too light of a charge, but, this boolit will work for sp101, just not for the hand ejecter.
    The sp101 had a really good group.

As a side note, the American Eagle 100gr jacketed soft point factory loads are surprisingly easy to manage in the sp101. I may have to get some hornady 100gr xtp bullets to play around with.
    Other than being a little under powered, what other problems did you have with your round nosed lead bullets in your hand ejector? It seems like they would work well. I have to admit though that the only round nosed moulds I have in that cavity are for the 32 S&W ("short") in about 85 grain weights. I don't load them all that much!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    They cast way undersized. They drop 311 with my alloy and come out 312 with the powdercoating. A recovered boolit shows that they do not have a complete seal. Very shallow rifling impressions on one side. The cases are very smoky as well. The sp101 recovered boolits have more defined rifling impressions and the cases are cleaner. This leads me to believe the boolit fits the sp101 but not the hand ejector.

Boolit Master
    Oh, forgot to mention, the powder coating was intact on the sp101, and it was burned off the base and the weak rifling side of the hand ejector boolits.

Boolit Master
    Casted up 100 more for powder coating. Going to load these, 10 at 1.8gr, 10 at 2.0gr 10 at 2.2gr and 10 at 2.4gr with the red dot, for use in the sp101.

Also going to do the same ladder test with bullseye. But I already know 2.3-2.5 seems to be the sweet spot for 100gr.

Boolit Mold
    Great thread a lot of good data.

Boolit Master
    Finally got to shoot the red dot loads for the sp101. 2.0gr and 2.4gr were the most accurate. Perfect primers and easy extraction on all tested loads.
    All loads had mild recoil and the cases were cleanest above 2.0gr.
    Still have to get a different mold for the hand ejecter, so I can PROPERLY use red dot for it. As it needs a .314 boolit, the lee 100 grain is too small at .312 after powder coating.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes very much agree. My Hand Ejector likes about a .315” bullet and those that cast at .313” from an oddball lopsided 313492 I got at a gun show (cast out of round) showed severe gas cutting on the undersized .313” portion.

The larger ones showed no such tendency. Wet phone books are good to examine your bullet and assess how they are doing. In addition, penetration in properly soaked and stacked wet phone books is pretty much exactly half of what the same bullet will do in gelatin.

The Reader’s Digest version of extensive testing done for penetration is that just about any solid bullet at any reasonable velocity of 700 fps and up will exceed to easily exceed minimum FBI standards for penetration. The flatnosed bullets penetrate straight and deep and the RN examples tend to turn sideways at some point in their travels, and the RN will flip and go base first in gelatin.

I tend to prefer the WC and flatnosed types but really would not feel completely helpless if I had a 32 loaded with 98 RN at 800 fps if push came to shove and that was what was available. Somewhat to my surprise the Privi Partisan ammo in factory loaded guise came within 25 fps of that. Remington factory does about 720 over a number of different lot numbers and I would prefer to flatpoint that or any RN before using it if I could.

Boolit Master
    I agree totally. A round nose is just for plinking. At least that is all I'm using it for. I was able to recover a few of the undersized slugs and there was most definitely signs of flame cutting. The powder coating was burned of of one side. No evidence of this in the sp101 what so ever.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast