Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: What 40 cal Cartridge ?

Boolit Mold

What 40 cal Cartridge ?

To start off I took my 50-90 rolling block to Quigley couple weeks ago and had a great time !! I meet a lot of good people who were glad to
    help me out for the first time at this event ! Many Thanks . I learned a lot about scope settings , which I did not any sight settings before this shoot . I had just enough time to get load worked up before I took off to the shoot . Thanks to Mr. Brooks for getting the mold I needed.

The rifle will be on rolling block and a Green Mountain 1-14 twist 4 contour barrel ? and get my wood from Tree Bone with shotgun with cheek piece . I will put sights on this rife what ones ??

I will get to the question now , my wife thinks she would like to shoot next year so I have a rolling block action to build on so I know 40-65 will probably be mentioned as 1st but I am new to this BPCR world and looked at 40-70 bottleneck 40-70 strait . I want to be able to get brass and dies . I will shoot black powder . Thanks Jason

Boolit Master
    Denmark (a greasy little spot in Scandinavia)
    How big is she?
    What shall she kill (paper only or steel)?
    How far out will she shoot?

Reason i'm asking is because maybe a 38-55 will suit her better?

A 400 grain bullet regardless of caliber will produce some recoil, a decent .375" bullet in the 250grain realm will be far gentler on her shoulder.

Boolit Mold
    She is not big 5' 4'' and will probably use it at Quigley . I also considered that but didn't know how handicapped that would be .

Boolit Master

Minimal experience, but my Pop has both a .40-70SS and .40-70 SBN. The straight is definitely more drama-free - as I recall, you can make from .30-40 Krag brass. Given the range of .40 caliber bullets, the straight case will give you a lot more wiggle room as to experimenting with bullet length & seating depth.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

having been there with the .38-55, .40-65 and .45-70 for long distances, i would suggest the .45-70 instead of the .40-65. the difference in recoil with black powder loads can be negligible, the .45-70 has more ubiquitous components and can be less expensive, better choice of bullet moulds, and the .45 can be loaded down yet still perform at longer ranges.

Boolit Bub
    The 38/55 will do fine in most cases. The 40 straight cases work well and can be formed pretty easy as can the 40/65. Pay attention to bullet weight as that has bearing on recoil. Start easy and work it up. Maybe use a similar velocity smokeless load to help get started.

Boolit Mold
    I also had that in mind as a alternate with 400 to 450 gr bullets . I had a very good time there except for the last minute down pour ! I only hit 29 but had a 100 worth of fun !

7MAG

The .40-65 has made a good showing at the Q as well as the 1000 paper matches. I would use a 1/14 or nothing less than a 1/14 1/2 ROT for the .40-65.
    My Daughter shoots a .45-70 really well and personally I can't feel much difference with the recoil between the .45-70 using a 510 grain PP bullet or a postell and the .40-65 using a 400 to 420 gr bullet. `If the recoil is a problem for your Wife there is always the option putting a recoil reducer in the butt stock. I [put one in the rifle my Daughter shoots and it tamed it in fine shape.
    I shoot a .40-70 as well as a .40-65 and shot the 1000 yard with both and either one does just fine but when the winds start to pick up the .45-70 will do slightly better.

I have to ask, why in the world are you using a 1/14 ROT for the .50?

Boolit Grand Master

40-65 is available in correct head stamp from Starline. With a 1-14 twist barrel and 400 grn bullet its a great performer. A 30" length barrel in a contour to get the rife to weight for her. Your rolling block action is fine and will make a very accurate rifle.

My 40 65 is a cpa 30" octagon barrel 1-14 twist. I shoot a 400 grn nasa bullet out to 500yds with good results. I use starline brass OE 1 1/2F powder a .060 napa rubber fiber wad and 2 tracing paper wads

38-55 is a viable choice and will perform well also Again brass is available from starline in correct head stamp, here a 1-12 twist barrel and 350-360 grn bullets make a big difference in performance at longer ranges. Recoil is not bad and accuracy is good out there.

My current is a C Sharps high wall 1-12 twist barrel 30" long. Load is OE 1 1/2F .060 napa rubber fiber wad 2 tracing paper wads and a 360 grn nasa bullet. We shoot swinging target but the rams at 500 give a good movement and ding. The rifle and load are capable of 10 for 10 with room to spare.
    Waiting to be picked up is a DZ Arms Hepburn in 38-55 1-12 twist 30" barrel. It has a dz scope on it.

As to sights I would look at MVAs line of soule sights and front globes. A long range soule with Hadley eyecup mated with a front globe with spirit level is a fine set up. MVA also has a line of good scopes.

Where are you located? A option is to have here try a few rifles in various calibers weights and such then work from there. I would be willing to have you out for here to handle and dry fire several different rifles. Contacting local BPCR Clubs may turn up a beginners day or others willing to help her. The one club here has a beginners day, people interested in the match and or rifles can come out and try rifles and different calibers free of charge. Normally its from the bench at 500yds on the ram silhouettes. I would look at this as an option to get her started

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 40-60 maynard with a 14 twist that your wife can try sometime at Carthage on a Browning BPCR or a 40-65 on the same rifle.
    or have a roller in 44-70 that is a sweetheart.

Boolit Mold
    I will take you up on that , Many Thanks ! I am sure one of those should get me pointed in the right direction on what to do .
    Lead Pot I got ahead of myself my 50-90 has 1-24 and 660 gr at 1346 fps .

I also had thoughts on sights on a roller , from what I have noticed is there isn't much room for your hand so I have been looking around for a high wall to maybe get her into .
    You All really know how to fix a guy up before it is all over I will have 6-8 of there things around HA HA ! I appreciate all the info . I am used to touching the trigger and seeing or hearing something within less than a second . I really got a understanding on the flight time on these guns at Quigley .
    What sight would I look at other than MVA ? or just get those . Many Thanks Jason

Jason,

I been shooting the Q since 05 and it got to be a family reunion for us. It's a very good place to take the family and you will get into some very tough competitive shooting in all sorts of weather conditions and if your there early before the lines get full with shooters getting their sight settings and a feel of the range just ask questions and you will get a lot of help.
    I get there a week early and set up camp and get together with friends we always set up camp together with and shoot in the same squad. You and I will have to meet and I always have several rifles and plenty ammo one or two your Wife can shoot. I usually have a .40-65 or the .40-70, I would suggest the .40-65 for your wife, and she can shoot it as much as she wants to see how she likes the caliber.
    If your anywhere close to the north west corner of Illinois come on over and we will make smoke.
    Kurt

Boolit Mold
    I really appreciate it , you stated it perfect I know it was my first year and noticed the how many people helped me ! I had a guy camped by me let me try some of his bore cleaner and give me advice . This will be on my list to repeat yearly . I will definitely get me a cart it was a lot to carry from one end to the other . I packed all my equipment from one to the other couple times getting sight settings on thursday and friday and was ready for a pack mule !! On side note had a guy tell me that I did'nt have to knock targets over just hit them . I had the biggest problem with the buffalo !
    I am looking forward to meeting up . Thank You All for the info . Jason

Just look me up I would be more then happy to let your Wife shoot my rifle. I have a gray Winnibago Gypsy wagon and this is me holding the White Buffalo. https://www.quigleymatch.com/2019-awards-pictures.html
    Kurt

I have a winchester 40-82. But Im not sure if Remington had any guns for that cartridge. Its pretty much the same as 40-65 and 70. Will you be shooting only BP or smokeless too?

Boolit Mold
    Kurt congratulations to you good shooting !! I would have liked to stick around but had to get to Wy to shoot my pistols at the MOA long range handgun match . This was my first 2 week vacation so I got to shoot both matches and will repeat next year .
    Kev I will shoot black in this gun also .

Boolit Buddy
    Jason ,sounds like you had a good time out west. Sending a PM
    Kurt,congratulations on your shooting, nice buffalo trophy.

TNX guys. I didn't do this alone it's a team effort. Carolyn did a fine job keeping me on the irons.