Reloading EverythingWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Parker 10 gauge 4 frame 34" barrels

Boolit Master

Parker 10 gauge 4 frame 34" barrels

A few months ago I saw Rock Island had a 4 frame top lever hammer gun in 10 gauge with 34" barrels . So I decided to bid and was able to acquire the gun .I however failed to ask enough questions before the auction since I wasn't able to attend . Upon receiving the gun I found out the gun had been restocked , the upper tang had been extended and the rib was up slightly in the first couple inches at the muzzle . The gun also had Remington hammers instead of proper Parker hammers , you could see that part in the two pictures . As much as I'd like to blame RIA I plain and simple didn't ask enough questions prior to the fact . You can also see two buckshot patterns fired at 25 yards both were shooting well below point of aim with the rib poking up slightly .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3597.jpg   IMG_3586.jpg   IMG_3596.jpg   IMG_3594.jpg   IMG_3595.jpg  

Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4594.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	244315 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4595.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	244316Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4596.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	244317

Its a little hard to see but the gun is in the first picture with the new hammers and retention screws in place . The other two pics show the rib straightened out !

Boolit Master
    This afternoon I went out to try the refurbished barrel at 25 yards with some 00 buck loads . FWIW these loads were in brand new never fired REM hulls .Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4599.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	244318Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4600.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	244319Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4601.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	244320Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4603.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	244321

While the patterns are by no means spectacular they do meet my parameters and the POI has shifted nicely .

Boolit Master
    I do not get why some forums download pics side ways !

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow.. Nice fix it Job on a good gun.. sure wish I had one of them for geese shooting.. very cool sir...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    If those are damascus barrels I would not recommend shooting modern loaded shells in it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by besk View Post
    If those are damascus barrels I would not recommend shooting modern loaded shells in it.
    They're not Damascus they're steel twist .

And no I don't load for 3 1/2" 10 gauge besides they'd never chamber in the gun .All my loads are for 2 7/8" .

Look at my avatar picture all of those are Parker 10 gauge doubles of which three are Damascus and one is steel twist . And yes I load for them as well .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Wow.. Nice fix it Job on a good gun.. sure wish I had one of them for geese shooting.. very cool sir...
    In the picture that you see two guns on a table . The other is a Parker DH 10 gauge circa 1889 on a 3 frame with 32" barrels . Anyway the fellow that fixed the rib on the hammer gun also refreshed the barrels on the DH . Someone in their infinite wisdom before I got the gun saw fit to rust blue the Damascus barrels and the action . Now the barrels pattern looks refreshed and visible , but I still need to get some Vapo-Rust remover stuff and get the blueing off the action . Don't think I'll recolor case but one never knows . Incidently I have another Parker DH circa 1889 coming from the Rock Island auction from last week it's also a 10 gauge but on a 2 frame with 30" barrels and yes this time I asked a BOATLOAD of questions LOL's !

Boolit Master
    Attachment 244322

A not very good picture of the DH barrels after being refreshed . Those barrels ring as true as any I have and are relatively shiney on the inside . This one shot pretty well on paper and other then stripping the action it needs a recoil pad . Someone replaced the stock before the guy I got it from acquired it and somewhere along the road it lost the skeleton buttplate . So since its not the correct stock for the gun I'll just put a pad on it .

Boolit Master
    A few pics to see the action on the DH with blueing which at some point has gotta go !

Name:	IMG_3172.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	244323

Name:	IMG_3173.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	244324

Name:	IMG_3175.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	244325

The engraving is worn to say the least but if you were 130 years old a used a good bit you'd be worn as well

Boolit Master

Mighty 'Purdy' shotgun

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 45workhorse View Post
    Mighty 'Purdy' shotgun
    Thanks ! I actually have several Brit shotguns but sorry to say no Purdy , Holland or Boss in the bunch . A few W&C Scott’s a Greener and a Westley Richards .

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like a nice collection. Way to go !

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Sweet I have a 1890’s all original Charles Daly SxS 10 gauge with Damascus barrels I bought at a yard sale years ago for $50 missing a hammer. I let a buddy who is a smith and owns a shop take it with him the last time he came here down bow hunting along with a pair of hammers I bought from Dixie gun works to install. I plan on taking a turkey with it and hanging it on the wall after that. I bought some 2 7/8” #5’s preloaded from some company I forgot to try once it’s done. They are downloaded to be equivalent to black powder loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Sweet I have a 1890’s all original Charles Daly SxS 10 gauge with Damascus barrels I bought at a yard sale years ago for $50 missing a hammer. I let a buddy who is a smith and owns a shop take it with him the last time he came here down bow hunting along with a pair of hammers I bought from Dixie gun works to install. I plan on taking a turkey with it and hanging it on the wall after that. I bought some 2 7/8” #5’s preloaded from some company I forgot to try once it’s done. They are downloaded to be equivalent to black powder loads.
    Cool ! You most likely bought RST shells .

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yes! RST was the brand.

Did a job in WVa a couple months ago. Elderly lady has a Ithaca 10g box lock with 32" barrels. Gun is solid and nice bores. She has several boxes of shells Remington Sure Shot, boxes look to be prewar. I'm working on getting this gun but I never gave a thought about it possibly being a twist barrel. If so I have no interest in it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Did a job in WVa a couple months ago. Elderly lady has a Ithaca 10g box lock with 32" barrels. Gun is solid and nice bores. She has several boxes of shells Remington Sure Shot, boxes look to be prewar. I'm working on getting this gun but I never gave a thought about it possibly being a twist barrel. If so I have no interest in it.
    I’ve got an Ithaca NID Grade 2 10 gauge that was made in the 20’s it has fluid steel barrels . But bear in mind just because it might have fluid steel barrels does not mean it has 3 1/2” chambers . Although Ithaca did make some fluid steel guns with 3 1/2” chambers .

I haven't really got a chance to look at guns fine points. Don't want to show to much excitement over it . I'm know it's not a 31/2" am not sure it's 3". Don't have a lot of experience with 10g guns. Have had several Ithaca 12s and I would say this gun is around 1920s production. One Ithaca 12g was a short chambered bird gun. I had it reamed for 23/4". Gun is the plain field grade.

Boolit Bub
    6 pt. Can you post up a full size pic of your avatar? Always like admiring the 10's. I have three but only one that's interesting, an old LC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast