Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Remington 760 in 300 Savage

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by OverMax View Post
    http://I have nothing against pump remingtons. Although I do own a 742-06 carbine. Yes their known to eat up their bolt rails to which is a part no longer supplied from factory.
    But was? /there is a fellow on the internet whom transforms worn out semi-auto versions into the pump version.
    As I recall the 760s are a bit noisy when toting around quite unlike the semi-auto's models. I suspect: the pump models do tip the scale a bit more _than the semi-auto models weigh.

As far a 300 Sav cartridge? Good cartridge. I'd rather shoot a 300 sav w/cast at deer than a 308. (Less damage to the meat and just as accurate.) Have three 300 levers. All Savage 99s. To be honest I never had a ambition to want a 308. "To much old school I am"
    Having killed deer with cast in .308 and .300 Savage, both from 99s, I don't understand your less damage to meat comment. How are very similar cast bullets moving at very similar velocities going to make any difference in meat damage?

Boolit Master
    The best way to avoid the worn receiver problem of the 742/7400 etc is do not buy one. The second best way is buy one with no wear and do not shoot mass quantities of ammo.

There is a long retired gunsmith that used to weld up the inside of the receivers of them and machine them back to standard.

But there is no connection to the 760/7600 series with this matter. None.

The 300 Savage and 308 Win cartridges are very close in performance and I would be surprised if their cast loads would differ very much in terminal ballistics.

Personally I like the more compact 300 Savage in my 99 Savage rifle and 30-06 (not 308) in my 7600 BDL as well as my father’s early 760. I assume the pump Remington (760/7600) just comes in one frame size? Why not utilize the capacity?

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post

What is the main difference Remington made when they changed from the 760 to the 7600?
    Not absolutely sure, but I think the 7600 went to more locking cuts on the bolt and they were presumably fast unlocking and locking making them smoother.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

Quote Originally Posted by hpdrifter View Post
    Not absolutely sure, but I think the 7600 went to more locking cuts on the bolt and they were presumably fast unlocking and locking making them smoother.
    You have that just backwards. The 760 has multiple, small locking lugs whereas the 7600 only has two.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=tazman;4676466]It appears to be one of the early models with the corncob front stock on it.
    QUOTE]

Got to ask, Been in the gun business buying ,selling making. Never heard of that term.

What is a corncob front stock?

Boolit Master
    The early 760’s had a forend with multiple grooves cut crossways. These grooves coupled with the overall shape of the forend makes it look like a corn cob.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    The early 760’s had a forend with multiple grooves cut crossways. These grooves coupled with the overall shape of the forend makes it look like a corn cob.

Best regards

Three44s
    Exactly right. The early 870 shotguns had those forearms too.

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post

Best regards

Three44s
    My friends and I called them the tootsie roll stocks, because that's what they looked like to us. Same style fore end on an Ithica m37.

Boolit Man
    I've got a model 76 in 30-06, been a real accurate and dependable rifle.

Boolit Master
    I haven't been able to find a current source, but years ago I read an article describing the Army MTU at Ft. Benning doing a serious test on the Remington pump gun in .308 because of the fact there is little bearing on the barrel to adversely affect accuracy. They found that it was very accurate, but that the slim barrel profile heated up quickly. If any of you can find the article it might warrant a link for the curious. GF

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123