Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 760 in 300 Savage

Remington 760 in 300 Savage

I ran across an old Remington 760 chambered in 300 Savage today.
    Rifle was in good condition.
    It appears to be one of the early models with the corncob front stock on it.
    Price was $450. I didn't buy it as I don't load that caliber.
    Was wondering if it would make a good cast shooter?

Yes, yes, yes, yes - and, IMHO, the price is right.

Especially if you're good at dickering....

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

AND- I have brass and dies for you/it! Go forth with wallet!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I passed on one of these a couple years back... I went back the following weekend ut was sold.

I have two 35 Rems from my uncle and great uncle. Sound exactly the same. Great rifles!!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I have excellent results with cast in my Savage 99's in 300 Savage. Brass and dies are easily available or cut-off 308 for brass. In the 760, you can come close to 308 levels.

99 Savage good rifle reguardless of caliber. 760 Rem not the best reguardless of caliber, one notch above 742s.

Boolit Master
    I beg to differ, the 760 is a fine rifle as a hunting arm. The Savage 99 is an excellent hunting arm. The draw back with the Remington 760 is that the forend can rattle but the Savage has no such issue.

I own two Savages (243 & 300 Sav) and one Remington 30-06 and none of them are going anywhere.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    I beg to differ, the 760 is a fine rifle as a hunting arm. The Savage 99 is an excellent hunting arm. The draw back with the Remington 760 is that the forend can rattle but the Savage has no such issue.

I own two Savages (243 & 300 Sav) and one Remington 30-06 and none of them are going anywhere.

Three44s
    I own a Rem 760 in 30-06 so I know how good a shooter they can be. Never owned a Savage 99 so no experience there.
    No experience with the 300 Savage cartridge either which is why I asked about it.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    99 Savage good rifle reguardless of caliber. 760 Rem not the best reguardless of caliber, one notch above 742s.
    Lol, in your opinion only. Come visit me and bring your 99’s and we will see who shoots tighter groups. I’ve got a 7600 that cloverleaves and a 35 rem and 35 whelen carbine that shot sub MOA. Never once jammed and been using my Amish machine guns since 84’, the 742,7400, and 750’s are junk IMO. Magazine droppers and jamomatics.

The pump rattle is an easy fix. I took my 7600 apart last year for the first time since new in 84’ and bent the slides out then reassembled it. It’s now tighter than my new 35 Whelen I bought last year.

Boolit Bub
    Can't go wrong for a great experience with a good caliber and nice rifle. Go forth and enjoy.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I would love a 7600 in .30-30!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    I would love a 7600 in .30-30!
    Or a converted small frame 870 in 45-70!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've had many 742 and 760s. They were popular around here in 60s as deer rifles. They were decent 100 yd meat guns. The 760 was a tad better than 742s. There are some no doubt that will shoot. Every once in a while a cherry is produced. There are always exceptions to everything. The bulk of them are mediocre at best and not the most durable design. They were a decent deer gun for the guy who goes deer hunting for a week once a year. 760 was only choice in a pump in a new rifle for states like PA where semis weren't allowed. In my neck of
    the woods 760 & 742 series rifles have bad reps are are hard to sell. The later series of 7600-7400 rifles you don't see because of the rep of the jams and breakage of the older models. You can't compare stamped guns with guns of milled parts.

Banned

I have never owned a 760, but always thought the concept was good and would like to own one in .30-06 one day. Seems like it would be a great platform for .35 Whelen, where speed and power are concerned it would be a better option than a lever action .45-70 which seems to be the choice for big bears it seems.

As to the .300 Savage, I have two and have found it loads pretty much like any other .30 caliber. The short neck everybody talks about seems to be more of a theoretical problem than a real one. Brass can be made from .308, but it isn't so rare that I would go to that much trouble.

The .300 Savage requires no different technique for reloading than any other cartridge and can be a very effective cast bullet cartridge. The short neck does limit one to bullets in the 150 to 165 grain weight range as heavier bullets extend below the case neck and are damaged by the propellant blast upon firing. Might not be the case with very low powered loads but as my interest goes to full power hunting ammo, I have not experimented with low powered plinking loads.

No experience with the Remington slide action or auto loading rifles.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Banned

I have not payed much attention to them, but is $450 the going rate for a used one? Seems kinda high.

Not to side track the thread, but I have heard that the autos Remington makes simply wear out eventually and stop working. I have not heard this about the pumps, is this true? I've also heard the pumps are more consistently accurate than the autos, not sure of that one either.

What is the main difference Remington made when they changed from the 760 to the 7600?

I do have a little experience with the older model 141, and those are really slick. Obviously not in the same league power-wise, but it's always made me wonder why those didn't have more staying power when the lever guns in similar calibers are still going strong.

Boolit Master
    In my opinion 450 is high. I bought a 7600 BDL in great shape in 30-06 for under 300 with a so so scope on it about 3 yrs ago.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I respectfully have to differ with Three44s & richhodg66, as to the value.

While the more common chamberings (.243/6mm, .308 & .30-06) commonly trade hands or less $$$ today, there were nowhere near as many chambered in .300 Savage - which makes it much more desirable to those comfortable/desirous of a .300 Savage, and ergo, more valuable TODAY.

Last edited by pietro; 07-01-2019 at 10:55 PM.
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

In Remembrance

A few years back I read somewhere about a gunsmith converting an Rem. 870 in .410 gauge to a .45/70. I guess fitting the barrel was the challenge.Robert

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

I respectfully have to differ with Three44s & richhodg66, as to the value.

While the more common chamberings (.243/6mm, .308 & .30-06) commonly trade hands or less $$$ today, there were no where near as many chambered in .300 Savage - which makes it much more desirable to those comfortable/desirous of a .300 Savage, and ergo, more valuable TODAY.

I payed a good bit less than that for a pre-one million serial number Savage 99 in .300 Savage a few years ago, much better rifle. It's not pristine, but it is all original, no recoil pad or D7T for scope. I'm pretty sure I could do it again if I had a little patience.

Just seems like a lot to me for what it is, but as stated, I never worked with one.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast