RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Remington 760 in 300 Savage

The mags in the 760's weren't the greatest, but are easily tweaked...I have never heard of other issues or breakage. I would love to hear about parts breakage or "wearing out" issues that are not magazine related...

Boolit Grand Master

I like the Rem 760 but the going price is this area is $300 to $350.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Being it’s a rare “oddball” chambering in the 760 it’s going to fetch a premium. I don’t believe there were a lot produced chambered in 300 Savage. Just depends if you feel it’s worth it. They did do a special run in the 7600 not long ago. Imo it’s ballisticly the same as a 308. You can buy a brand new updated “boolitproof” 308, 7600 for about the same as they’re asking for the old savage.

It it was another common 30-06 chambered 760, then yes $300/$350 is an average price for one. Most gun shops want as much fro one as a new 7600 lately.

Obviously, it didn’t get the OP excited enough to buy it or we wouldn’t be talking about it here.lol

I’d offer $325 and see what happens. If they won’t budge I’d rather spend another $25 above they’re asking price and buy a brand new 7600. Bought my 35 Whelen limited run carbine last year for $619.00 if I remember the price correctly from Gryces gun shop.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-30-2019 at 06:10 PM.

Just saw one for sale at a shop in Bettendorf, IA for $400 with a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    If you had said Davenport Ia, I would have said it was the same one I saw. Place called Davenport Guns.
    They must have lowered the price a little.

Yeah, but.....yeah, but.... was it a .300 Savage ?

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    If you had said Davenport Ia, I would have said it was the same one I saw. Place called Davenport Guns.
    They must have lowered the price a little.
    Sorry,lol yes that’s where I was. Nice gun....yes, chambered in 300 Savage with an old Tasco or similar type optic on top. Didn’t look like it had been used very much and looked very clean. I live a few hours out of the area and was visiting.

My sister lives in the Area and met she the owner through her work who invited her in to shoot. Guess the owner’s dad owned Armalite at one time. All employees at the shop were great! My sis wanted to try out the range and I went with. I’ve never shot indoors before. We rented a S&W shield 2.0 EZ 380 for her and I tried out a Glock 20, 10 mm. I’ve worked with my sister over the years with firearms safety and shooting rifles but never with pistols. I gave her a 15 to 20 min crash course on the 380 she picked out going over on safety, handling, function of the gun and safety functions, loading, pointing, aiming and dry firing a few times to make sure she wasn’t pulling or flinching. I shot the 380 first that she picked out to show her how it sounded, cycled, and recoiled. I drew a smiley face on target.lol I never shot an EZ before. It takes a little getting used to with the grip safety and my big hands. Very fun and accurate little pistol. The first time she shot the 380 all five rounds she let loose were placed dead center around the “x” in about a 4” group at 10 yards! She’s hooked. I had her load five at a time and the last three groups of five I had her rapid fire. She never missed the target and all were center mass with rapid firing! I then tried out the 10 mm. That things a hoot. Backed my target all the way to the back of the range literally leaning against the rubber pile of recycled tire backstop and missed the “X” the first two shots by an inch! The next three were 2”to 2.5”! I need a 10 mm glock! My sis wanted to try the glock 20! I was afraid I’d make her recoil shy but she want it! I warned her my trigger finger was a little tingly after I let a few rounds loose in the glock. She shot it at 10 yards three times and was dead center! I shot a group of five and asked her if she was wanted another go with the 10mm. About a 2 second hesitation and then a big smile came across her face and she said yes. We went five for five and she ended up shooting 25 rounds out of it. She shot just as accurate, if not better with the 10 mm Glock! The last five rounds of the glock she hit the “x” first try at 10 yards, then an inch low, and the other three were about 2.5” low and left. She gave me a run for my money! I would have to say she shot as tight as I did with the 380 right out of the gate. Needless to say she’ll be buying a pistol now...and said I was a great instructor.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-07-2019 at 08:00 AM.

Banned

I may have to stand corrected on what these rifles go for currently. Went over to a nearby town today and hit a couple of LGS. One had a relatively recent one in .30-06 with a low end scope on it, asking price of 4450. The next store had an old one with the corn cob forend and what I believe is an after market stock, very nice wood for a rifle like that (didn't match the forend very well) also low end scope and those god awful see thru rings, asking price $499. I could probably bargain on the second one and get a better deal, first one probably not based on my experience with both shops.

Both these were .30-06, which is about the only caliber I'd want in one. Beginning to like the idea of one of these. Are they good cast shooters? Picky about what nose profile they'll feed?

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    I may have to stand corrected on what these rifles go for currently. Went over to a nearby town today and hit a couple of LGS. One had a relatively recent one in .30-06 with a low end scope on it, asking price of 4450. The next store had an old one with the corn cob forend and what I believe is an after market stock, very nice wood for a rifle like that (didn't match the forend very well) also low end scope and those god awful see thru rings, asking price $499. I could probably bargain on the second one and get a better deal, first one probably not based on my experience with both shops.

Both these were .30-06, which is about the only caliber I'd want in one. Beginning to like the idea of one of these. Are they good cast shooters? Picky about what nose profile they'll feed?
    Speaking only for myself...My 760 30-06 shoots pretty decent with cast...I haven't fed it too many cast varieties, but it feeds everything fine, once I fixed the magazine...

Banned

What was wrong with the magazine?

I’ve owned 760s in .308 and 30-06. I didn’t mess with cast back then. Both would group factory ammo about 1-1/2” at 100 yards. I got some 1” 4 shot groups with reloads in the .308( a former Illinois State Prison gun!) but reloads were a tight fit in the ‘06 so I sold it. I believe the major change from 760 to Model 6/7600 is the number of lugs on the bolt. I’d love to have one in .35 Rem or have a .243/.308 rebored to .358 Win by you know who.....
    A friend bought a 7600 in .280 Rem and it was very accurate. He traded it for a m700 in .280 because he didn’t like the forend rattle. IMO they are nice rifles!

Rich, I’ve owned one in 243, 35 rem, 35 Whelen, and 3 chambered in 30-06 all in 7600’s. Never one jam, cycling, or feeding issue with any of them. I still have one 30-06 that cloverleaves at a 100 yards with my reloads using 180 grain core locts and I also have 2 special run carbines in 35 rem and whelen. They both shoot sub MOA at 100 yards. The 30-06 is my favorite and has been with me on opening day every year my dad bought it for me from Kmart in 1984 along with 180 grain core locts. 99.9% of my deer have been bang flops up until the last 5 years or so. I think the loose boolits I bought for reloading have a harder BH as the last couple have ran about 15/20 before piling up. With factory loaded ammo bang flop for some reason. I use to aim for the shoulder when I was a kid as well so the bone fragments must have aided in the hammer of Thor reactions.

I did have a missing patch I couldn’t find when cleaning about 28 plus years ago.I found it in my receiver. It caused the rifle not to engage the firing pin kinda like a cushion...totally my fault. Patch removed, gun fired.

It there is an issue with a magazine you can buy a replacement one just about anywhere for $20/$25. There is really nothing to the mags, very simple design similar to AR mags. I prefer the older metal ones not made anymore vs the updated plastic bottom mags.

Never shot cast in mine but have shot everything from 125 grain nosler ballistic tips for Pronghorn to 220 grain round noses for bear hunting and all fed perfect. You can cycle it like a mad man or slow as molasses with zero issues.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 07-08-2019 at 09:29 PM.

I already own one in 30-06. It shoots anything jacketed into 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards. With match grade loadings with 168 grain SMK it does much better.
    Mine is an oddball in that all bullet weights from 150 grains up to 220 grains shoot to the same POI at 100 yards. I have never had another rifle do that.
    Haven't shot cast in it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    What was wrong with the magazine?
    Metal at front of mag can get bent in where the front tab is that locks in. If it gets pushed in, the nose of the mag can drop and rounds won't feed. I gently bent the tab back out and its good to go...Since then, I insert full magazine with action open and all has been fine whether I rack the slide slow or fast.

Never bent a mag on any of mine. Guess anything’s possible. If I had any issues with mine I would have tossed the mag and bought a replacement as they are cheap enough. As I said before they’re no different than an AR mag internally. A very simple three piece design. The new ones are four pieces with a plastic bottom.

Imo Your bent mag must have either been forced in incorrectly or someone or something damaged it while it was out of the gun.

Never bent a mag on any of mine. Guess anything’s possible. If I had any issues with mine I would have tossed the mag and bought a replacement as they are cheap enough. As I said before they’re no different than an AR mag internally. A very simple three piece design. The new ones are four pieces with a plastic bottom.

Imo Your bent mag must have either been forced in incorrectly or someone or something damaged it while it was out of the gun.
    Forced incorrectly is what I observed over the years. I have seen many users insert a loaded mag, with the action closed, and slap the mag home rather forceably. I insert mine a little more gently and slowly and they do not deform. Where/when possible I also insert a loaded mag with the action open.

Boolit Buddy
    In my limited experience with the model 760 and 7600 series guns I think they are excellent shooters, with a floated bbl separate from the mag and slide, the gun should shoot as tight groups as any bolt gun. They are completely different from the 742 or 7400 series guns. Wallacem

Boolit Buddy
    I have two 760's. One in .270 Win the other an early model in .222 Rem with nice wood. I have never seen another in .222 I believe there were a limited amount made. They won't shoot with my best bolt guns but the .270 will hit a white tale in the vitals at 200 and the .222 will take turkeys and chucks at 150 all day. I don't shoot them near as much as my bolt guns and AR's but never had a FTF or FTE in either gun. I think a .300 Savage would be a great caliber in the 760!

Boolit Master
    http://I have nothing against pump remingtons. Although I do own a 742-06 carbine. Yes their known to eat up their bolt rails to which is a part no longer supplied from factory.
    But was? /there is a fellow on the internet whom transforms worn out semi-auto versions into the pump version.
    As I recall the 760s are a bit noisy when toting around quite unlike the semi-auto's models. I suspect: the pump models do tip the scale a bit more _than the semi-auto models weigh.

As far a 300 Sav cartridge? Good cartridge. I'd rather shoot a 300 sav w/cast at deer than a 308. (Less damage to the meat and just as accurate.) Have three 300 levers. All Savage 99s. To be honest I never had a ambition to want a 308. "To much old school I am"

Boolit Master
    I keep reading that “noisy” thing on the internet. I have been shooting a 760 in 300 Savage since the late 80s and can’t see it. I just don’t rattle it. I think the 760s are lighter than the auto versions. Never owned an auto but friends had some, can’t say I cared much for the auto version. There isn’t much difference in the receiver, but if the rails are worn I can’t see it making a very good pump gun. Seems a lot of trouble when there are nice 141s out there
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast