RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lee Loader priming chamber roughness

Lee Loader priming chamber roughness

Got a new .38 Special Lee Loader from Brownells. During initial inspection I noticed that face of the priming chamber has some roughness from machining. At the very center there's a little dimple that leaves a dent to primer. There are also some circular grooves on the face but they seem to imprint very little. After just one priming attempt it's hard to tell though.

As this is a brand new set I guess I could send it back but on the other hand I think smoothing the face might be a way to go. Can the locating ring (that washer in the white) be removed or is it crimped in place? If yes, maybe the high spot could be flattened with proper sized punch?

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Bub
    I would recommend sending it back. Lee makes very good products for the price.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe that's just a manufacturing faux pas. I have 7 Lee loaders and none have a priming stem that rough. The dimple may be small enough to polish off without altering the primer seating depth, but the circular "slit" may be to much. While I don't think there would be a problem with the priming system as is, is jes ain't right. I'm sure Lee would gladly give you a replacement...

At least you can easily spot your handloads...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    You'll have the world's first microprinted primers! Lol

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    If you have a drimel tool just touch the center a bit and your good. If not a small flat stone in a drill should do. I wouldn't worry with sending it back just touch it up. I will say i tried one of those 40 years ago and it worked but after loading a box of shells i went and bought a cheap lee press.
    Last edited by RED BEAR; 06-29-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Boolit Master
    I used one from 16 to 19 I still have it with a tag on the box 9.95 from TG&Y , used the same 50 45 colt cases all three years , I was in the big time when I got me a Lyman Spartan Lyman 55 PM & Lyman scale still have them all still work good as new.

Boolit Master
    mdi naiied it. GONRA sez - Just stone the tit off the punch and continue on.....

Boolit Master
    That is intentional, for firing off unknown primers so that those cases can be reloaded again.

I would call Lee and tell them what you have. They may just send you a new part.
    If not then try the fix.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    That one obviously left the factory on a Friday afternoon right before quitting time. I agree with the posters above who suggest repair from Lee... give them a call first thing Monday morning.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Got a new Loader kit from Brownells two weeks ago. Yes, it's a little bit slower process if you live overseas...

This time the priming chamber dimple is much lesser but in general, the surface is perhaps more rough. The device seems to get primers just about flush to the case head so if one plans some polishing, got to be careful not to remove too much.

The sizing die of this kit also has two longitudinal scratches that reach right up to the neck sizing portion of the die. Fortunately, these scratches don't get imprinted onto cases.

Last edited by CeeHoo; 09-18-2019 at 02:53 AM.

Boolit Master
    As you live overseas from the manufacturer I would just polish the offending part and be done with it.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”