RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise here
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox

Thread: new black out load

Boolit Grand Master

new black out load

been loading the snot out of 300 bo super sonic using the 130 rcbs gas check mold. Im getting low on 110 and wc297 but have 5 jugs of wc820. Figured id give it a try but couldn't find loading data anywhere. So I used a bit of common sense and started with 15 grains. Groups shot were 5 shots at 50 yards. Guns were a 16 inch and an 8.5 inch ar15 both budget psa guns. The 16 inch gun shot 3/4s of an inch which was the best cast bullet load ive had in that gun. It didn't lock back on the mag though (probably because I have a 4.7 once buffer in it. 8.5 inch gun did just over an inch and locked back fine. At 15.5 groups opened up about a 1/4 inch and both guns locked back but primers were just barely starting to flatten. At 16 groups opened up about 3/4s of an inch and primers were flattening but not dangerously so. So I went home and loaded some up with 15.3 and it shot just was well as 15 in the 16 inch gun and actually better then anything in the 8.5. It kind of showed me that 820 definitely will work (and by the way aa9 is the same powder) but it has a narrow charge weight between what is to light and what is to hot. One odd thing I found with it was with 110 and wc297 ive shot the same bullet without a check on it and groups ran around 3 inch. Not great but still probably good enough to pound steel targets. With 820 I couldn't even keep that bullet on a 8x11 sheet of paper at 50 yards with any of those loads.
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

Boolit Master

Is that bullet a decent hunting load, or just for plinking?

Either way, it sounds like a good load for the 8.5! Ive got the same upper. an 8.5" 1:8 from PSA.

Look forward to hearing more!
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Grand Master

its a pointed bullet and I cast them HARD so its probably not an ideal hunting bullet. That said a 30 cal bullet is already as bit as any 223 bullet expands to and it sure hits steel with more authority then a 556. That said my guns will be loaded with 110 barnes x bullets when I go hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    Is that bullet a decent hunting load, or just for plinking? What the bullet does is allows me to shoot 2 BO's for the price of one 556 or maybe even 3.

Either way, it sounds like a good load for the 8.5! Ive got the same upper. an 8.5" 1:8 from PSA.

Look forward to hearing more!
    Soldier of God, sixgun junky, Retired electrical lineman. My office was a 100 feet in the air, closer to God the better

Just got some 150gr gold-dot for BO (BO version). Reports are 110% compressed CFE BLK so I need to get a drop tube. Nice & long but BC seems more like .35 vs advertised .45 They are supposed to expand down at 1400 fps! with muzzle fps >2k.
    Whatever!