MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything

Thread: new black out load

Banned

new black out load

been loading the snot out of 300 bo super sonic using the 130 rcbs gas check mold. Im getting low on 110 and wc297 but have 5 jugs of wc820. Figured id give it a try but couldn't find loading data anywhere. So I used a bit of common sense and started with 15 grains. Groups shot were 5 shots at 50 yards. Guns were a 16 inch and an 8.5 inch ar15 both budget psa guns. The 16 inch gun shot 3/4s of an inch which was the best cast bullet load ive had in that gun. It didn't lock back on the mag though (probably because I have a 4.7 once buffer in it. 8.5 inch gun did just over an inch and locked back fine. At 15.5 groups opened up about a 1/4 inch and both guns locked back but primers were just barely starting to flatten. At 16 groups opened up about 3/4s of an inch and primers were flattening but not dangerously so. So I went home and loaded some up with 15.3 and it shot just was well as 15 in the 16 inch gun and actually better then anything in the 8.5. It kind of showed me that 820 definitely will work (and by the way aa9 is the same powder) but it has a narrow charge weight between what is to light and what is to hot. One odd thing I found with it was with 110 and wc297 ive shot the same bullet without a check on it and groups ran around 3 inch. Not great but still probably good enough to pound steel targets. With 820 I couldn't even keep that bullet on a 8x11 sheet of paper at 50 yards with any of those loads.

Boolit Master

Is that bullet a decent hunting load, or just for plinking?

Either way, it sounds like a good load for the 8.5! Ive got the same upper. an 8.5" 1:8 from PSA.

Look forward to hearing more!
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Banned

its a pointed bullet and I cast them HARD so its probably not an ideal hunting bullet. That said a 30 cal bullet is already as bit as any 223 bullet expands to and it sure hits steel with more authority then a 556. That said my guns will be loaded with 110 barnes x bullets when I go hunting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post
    Is that bullet a decent hunting load, or just for plinking? What the bullet does is allows me to shoot 2 BO's for the price of one 556 or maybe even 3.

Either way, it sounds like a good load for the 8.5! Ive got the same upper. an 8.5" 1:8 from PSA.

Look forward to hearing more!

Just got some 150gr gold-dot for BO (BO version). Reports are 110% compressed CFE BLK so I need to get a drop tube. Nice & long but BC seems more like .35 vs advertised .45 They are supposed to expand down at 1400 fps! with muzzle fps >2k.
    Whatever!

Finally shot the 31-142D 145gr GC AC 50/50 with Rx7, .6"x1" vert., 8 shots @ 50. ~100F out but I'm happy. Actually shot two but first was for function on another target. Close to same results. Somewhere around 1900? Cat some more last nite after smoking the mould to eliminate the terrible wrinkling of the nose.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCF_000057.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	22.3 KB 
ID:	246799
    Last edited by popper; 08-16-2019 at 12:57 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    If and when PSA ever ships the lower to go with my 8.5" upper, I will for sure be trying cast in mine. I know they are all different, but what size cast are you gents usually running?

Maybe this will help with the powder you are using. It's the old .300 Whisper data from Sierra that uses AA9. I have some AA9 but haven't gotten around to using it yet. I plan to use it with my HM2 30 caliber mold 150.

Sierra300whisper.pdf

Boolit Master

Nice shooting.
    Are those similar to the WC820 milsurps sold by American Reloading?
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Banned

I do 309 but honesty haven't tried any other size but going bigger is likely to cause chambering problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    If and when PSA ever ships the lower to go with my 8.5" upper, I will for sure be trying cast in mine. I know they are all different, but what size cast are you gents usually running?

Banned

thanks tm. I can of took a swing at it on my own and started with 15 grains (wc820 not aa9 but in my opinion there the same other then small variations in lots) I got right at 1850 out of my 16 inch gun. No pressure signs so I bumped it to 15.5 and was at 1900. Still no pressure signs and better accuracy then the 15 grain load. Bumped it to 16 and again got slightly better accuracy. Actually the best accuracy ive got with that bullet. even better then my best 110 and wc297 loads. velocity differnces in the single digits. Load went 1940 out of my 16 gun and still was at 1825 out of my 8.5 inch gun which is less drop off then I got with 110 or 297 so the faster powder is a slight advantage in the shorter barrels. In my opinion its a stand out powder for supersonic cast loads in the bo. It might not get you up to 2400 with a jacketed but if the 2000 fps range is good enough for you its very accurate and you use less so its cheaper. WIN WIN in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmaloy View Post
    Maybe this will help with the powder you are using. It's the old .300 Whisper data from Sierra that uses AA9. I have some AA9 but haven't gotten around to using it yet. I plan to use it with my HM2 30 caliber mold 150.

Sierra300whisper.pdf