RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: IMR 4007 SSC powder

In Remembrance

IMR 4007 SSC powder

Wow, I just bought a one pound can of IMR 4007 SSC and started checking for load data and have found that it has been recalled at one time and is now discontinued. I must've missed this news way back when, I have a friend that liked that powder and is why I grabbed this can, they were out of 4895, 4064 and all the others I use.
    Oh well, I sent an email to Hodgdon with the lot number and ask if it was ok to use since they still have it in their load data on the website.
    Hope they answer me soon, this whole spontaneous combustion thing has me a little worried and I hate to put it in the driveway with 95% humidity right now. When I hear back I will update this post.

Boolit Master

Spontaneous combustion with gun powder, doesn't sound like it would have a happy ending.
    Can't think of a real good place to store it, except for the deep freezer.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like that "new technology" wasn't completely tested before being released.
    Charter Member #148

Yikes.... I have a couple pounds of this. Please keep us posted here!
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by davidheart View Post
    Yikes.... I have a couple pounds of this. Please keep us posted here!
    I haven't heard back which is odd but I may have not hit the I'm not a robot link on their message page so I going to send it again.

In Remembrance

UPDATE, I spoke with a Hodgdon rep today and he informed me that ALL of the IMR 4007 SSC powder had been Recalled and Discontinued, as it ages it become gaseous and very corrosive. He sent me a form to fill out and asked me to send him a picture of the lot number on the can and they would send out a replacement of my choice as long as it was in stock. He also told me to spread this can around the yard or garden or something of that order. There was no mention of spontaneous combustion but corrosive was all I needed to hear.
    I have to give a big shout out to Hodgdon for offering a replacement for something that should have been pulled off the shelves several years ago.

Boolit Grand Master

Good for Hodgdon's, I like companies that "do the right thing" for their customers. I guess that new technology was enduRUN
    Charter Member #148

This is great news. I have couple pounds of this I was hoping to try in 6.5 Swede loads someday. So glad I saw this notice!
    He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High Will abide in the shadow of the Almighty. -Psalm 91:1

Boolit Master
    I have a pound and sent them an email. Haven't yet heard back from them.

John

Sounds like the acidification of the cellulose wasn't completely neutralized. Some lots of powder made during WW1 had this problem, so if that's what it is, it's nothing new. That such an ancient and well-understood issue should crop up today doesn't speak well for the maker's process controls. Given time, such defective powder really will spontaneously ignite.
    Cognitive Dissident

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by johnly View Post
    I have a pound and sent them an email. Haven't yet heard back from them.

John
    I don't know if their spam filter blocked my emails or not but I ended up calling them after two weeks of waiting.
    Try their (913) 362-9455 help line and ask to talk to a reloading tech.

I just wanted you guys to know I received my replacement pound of powder in the mail on Friday. IMR-4895. It took 3 months but it did come and I'm grateful!

I made sure to shoot up some 30-06 I had loaded with the powder, even though my lot # wasn't on the recall.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson