Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The wife just asked me, "What is it with the people out here"?

The wife just asked me, "What is it with the people out here"?

After such a blessing we received yesterday, that I have made into a challenge for myself---

This afternoon- our 76 year old neighbor stopped by.
    Awhile back, he'd forgotten to remove the plug from his boat. It was up on the lift, but wouldn't drain rainwater.
    When I found it, after a big storm, the water was a foot deep on the floor, and about 1/2 way up on on the 4 cyl. GM engine.
    The water had shorted out all manner of wiring and filled the below deck gas tank by soaking in under the gauge sending unit plate.

I drained that, and asked if he'd let me tend to the engine since it was just dead. No power to nothing.....
    It has the same powerplant as mine, that I've worked on and overhauled a couple times since the 80's.

He was reluctant.
    I told him if I could fix it in the dock, "WE" wouldn't have to tow it to a ramp, load it, and take it to a shop & back.
    Even then, if the bill was less than $500, that would mean there wasn't really anything wrong with it.

So I did, I hacked around on it for a week or so off & on, and brought it back to life..
    He was just tickled,,,,,, as grateful as a dog with a new stick.
    He asked what I'd done. And wanted to know what I'd spent so he could pay me back.

I told him I'd flushed the gas tank, replaced a few cables, wires & terminals, and rebuilt the carberator. But water didn't get into the block.
    I also changed the ignition coil & module, not because they were bad, but they were 1996 issue and I didn't trust them any more.

Compared to the hassle of the antique coil or module failing out on the lake---
    the price for them is more or less free, so I took good ones off, and put on OEM quality new ones.

I told him the price of the carb kit-- '$40, and don't worry about it.
    I work on these things for the challenge, and because I enjoy it.
    Besides,,,, I changed the other stuff on my own, just to be sure I wouldn't have to go out and tow ya back,
    or that you could come out and tow me back home'.

That was a couple weeks ago, and I'd moved on to other things, and sort of forgot about working on his boat.

Got a visit today, he came over to thank me again, and wanted to give me a 'thank you card'.
    Nobody does cards anymore, but he's old school...…. I took it, and thanked him for the thoughtfulness.

After he left, I opened the card, and there was $300 bucks in it.

My dilemma now is-
    How am I going to get the value of all that money back to him without him getting suspicious?
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 06-28-2019 at 12:42 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Can your 76 year old neighbor afford the 300 bucks ? ... if he can forget about it

it would have cost him more to have a shop look at it

and the shop would have not taken the care you did. .. they prob would flush the tank and changed the gas, and not done any of the electrial work

Take your wife out to dinner and tell her 76 year old neighbor Paid for it

Quote Originally Posted by Ford SD View Post
    Can your 76 year old neighbor afford the 300 bucks ? ... if he can forget about it
    Oh yeah.
    He's at the point of 'not exactly rich, but can afford anything he wants to'.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Be gracious enough to accept his gift in return.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Oh yeah.
    He's at the point of 'not exactly rich, but can afford anything he wants to'.
    In that case you might consider taking it for what it is: a thank you gift. Just as people like a cheerful and gracious giver, there is sometimes a place for receiving a gift in the spirit it was intended, with a gracious "Thank you".

It's nice to know there are still plenty of good people in the world.

(jsizemore beat me to it)

Boolit Master

I have been in that position before and it is harder to accept "payment"(although I've never had a $300 thank you) for something like that than it is to try to repay or not accept. In the end gracious acceptance is the best policy. Something we have to learn.
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

I agree with some others and will add...
    sometimes allowing others to give a gift, is a gift in itself.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

USMC 77, USRA 79

I would tell you this... many people don’t feel comfy with just accepting help. That want to even things up and don’t feel comfortable with friendship or anything unless things are even. In those cases, you must just accept and not one up somebody, or they won’t come again. Pride is a powerful motivator. Just accept, and don’t worry about it. It’s all good in this instance.

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Thanks folks.
    Among the other reasons I like hanging out here- You've shown me things that hadn't ever occurred to me.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master

Today I helped a friend, initially one of my wife’s friends. She’s disabled due to a car wreck when she was 18 months old so a lifelong problem for her. She’s as nice a person as you could ever hope to know. She’s trying to restore the family ranch house in NM which was built over 100 years ago. The newer part of the house is about 75 years old. The obsolete circuit breaker box had to be replaced. It took all day but she was ecstatic when all of the house had electricity again. My reward was a hug and a promise of a batch of her incredible posole. Fair trade. I love to help people and fix things so it was fun for me.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    And hats off to you for helping and giving in a semi-serious way with out of pocket expenses.
    It’s very rare to see that these days. Most people want to profit. Some just want to break even. It’s a rare bird that will swallow it all. Your neighbor realizes this and wants to express his thanks. As others have said, let him.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Do something good for you / for the world with the money; Pay it forward with some of it maybe? He's saying he appreciates your help, arguing with THAT would be a bad idea.

Boolit Grand Master

I think the others pretty well covered it. The "Old Gentleman" has his pride and was showing his gratitude. Accept is like it was meant even though you didn't expect anything.

Boolit Master
    Please keep the gift and use it as you wish. Your neighbor comes from a generation that held a concept of hospitality. When someone performs a service or presents them with an unexpected gift they are bound to reply in kind. I have heard about and seen it a few times when a hospitality gift was refused the person offering the gift was very much offended. You are probably looking at that in your suggestion to return the gift. Accept this gift with gratitude and both of you will feel better for it.

Boolit Master

If your neighbor is your friend, and it sounds like he is, invite him and his Mrs. (if he has one), or another of his chosing out to dinner with you and your Mrs. In that way you get to eat a fine meal with friends and pay for it through his generosity. Everybody wins!
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    "Attaboy!", for helping out the old feller!

For "me" anyway, it is hard most of the time when someone offers ya something for what you think is just a "good turn" & there is no expectation to get anything, "in return".

I think if I were in the situation, I would talk to him about it later on. In a week or so. Go into it like you are asking his advice. Tell him that you really just wanted to do it for the fun of it & were not expecting, nor wanting anything in return, and you feel it was too much for what you did for him. Ask him what he would tell his son if his son( whether he has one/more or not.) asked him the same question.
    If nothing else, you may end up having a better friendship than before by doing so. As well as, "What harm might it do?". Just do it sincerely as not to offend & it might return benefits you had not considered.

Or, you, as others suggested, just "pay it forward" elsewhere.

Lastly, there would be nothing wrong if ya just saved it for some time when you are in need to get "over the hump", if something happens to you/family , or even him or another neighbor, and you can just pass it on then to help out.

Me, I would be asking the advice part though first. Just to see if he passes on some good stuff to know.

The other options can always be done later.

G'Luck!, Best wishes whatever ya do, and Semper Fi !
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Banned
    I think most of us here are "old school". We help people just for the sake of helping people with no expectations of a reward.

Sometimes for guys like us the hardest thing in life is to accept a heartfelt thank you with humility and grace.

Split the difference, take him and his wife out for supper, no holds barred. Pay for it out of the gift. Whats left over you earned. Keep it, guilt free.

I suspect your neighbor knows full well he'd of paid 4x as much for the same or lessor quality work at a shop.

Just because you enjoyed it does not mean you can't get paid for it.

Or keep it as a stash for those in need. Use it to buy parts to fix stuff.

Lots of ways of looking at this. You brought his boat back from the dead, you deserve something.

Well done!

Boolit Grand Master

This is one of the times when you just have to let the guy Thank You with $300.00 , he's like my Dad who had to repay a kindness . He gave you a gift , take it , thank him and be there for him next time he needs a helping hand...That's all you have to do .
    Having a friend like you is ...priceless !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

If the neighbor and you generally socialize otherwise, why not do dinner with all of you or take him fishing?

Sent from the largest mountain range in Florida.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast