Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: 30cal jacket solution

30cal jacket solution

5/16" copper tubing, straightened, cut to desired length
    Copper gas check
    Dab a touch of solder in the floor of the gas check
    Sit the length of tubing therein
    Heat up the pair until the solder melts
    Run through a sizer die (I had Lee make me up a 0.305")

Now use as normal. The jacket situation is total **. There is no reason a finished bullet should cost only slightly more than a copper jacket

In before someone says that Sierra makes millions of 168 BTHP's and only thousands(?) of copper jackets. Economies of scale, yada yada yada. I know this...
    Last edited by Pressman; 07-02-2019 at 09:55 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    I have been using 1/4 O.D. utility grade tubing without closing the base at all. For plinkers it's fine, for hunting I would want the end closed. Shooting the core out, seems to be a wives tale. I use an 8s point die to close the tip.
    But this gas check idea I'm definitely trying for the 1/4" utility tubing. The tubing I have is .25" OD and .020 wall thickness.

Boolit Master

Tiger, what size gas checks, 5/16 is a tad larger than .308, 8mm is a tad larger than 5/16? Just curious.
    Bill

Thanks for sharing, it's always neat to see what other people are doing to make their own jackets.

I'm working on a draw die for using 9mm, 380, and similar caliber brass for use as 308 cal jackets for general plinking.

Boolit Buddy
    It works great for the 1/4" OD tubing I have. I have to look for 5/16"OD tubing at more places because I still haven't found it. I used a .264 gas check on the 1/4" tubing so I would assume a .323 gas check for the 5/16" tubing would be just right.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gew View Post
    It works great for the 1/4" OD tubing I have. I have to look for 5/16"OD tubing at more places because I still haven't found it. I used a .264 gas check on the 1/4" tubing so I would assume a .323 gas check for the 5/16" tubing would be just right.
    I tried to find 5/16, Corbin straight sticks , Amazon 50' roll and one more, but I think it was one of the metal sites, maybe McMaster and Carr 8' sticks(?) Shipping very expensive.
    Bill

Boolit Mold
    I had always wonder if their was a way to make my own jacketed cast bullets and with the way things are going i am glad to see of ways to make my own. thanks for all of your advices.