Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Neighborhood house smells bad. Who to call?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by david2011 View Post
    when the stench encroaches on his property it becomes his business. Carry on, big al!
    not true!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    It always amazes me when a topic like this comes up and there are those that take the attitude of MYOB.

I treat my neighbors with respect and it's not too much to ask for the same in return. When something "gets out of hand" - that's what zoning and health laws are for and according to the OP, this is beyond being "out of hand".

I worked ambulance and fire/rexcue for many years - and I saw just about everything imaginable - sever wording to where you couldn't even walk in to the house, vermin and insect infestation - I remember a call on night where the cockroaches were so thick that we had to brush them aside to get to the patient.

I love animals as much as anyone - I was brought up on a farm and shoveled my share of manure - but when you have an individual who accumulates animals and does not keep feces and urine under control - there's nothing worse than the resulting odor. It's a health hazard to the occupants of the structure - AS WELL AS THE ANIMALS - and let's not forget the transmission of disease from fleas. When it gets to the point where it is a detriment to the neighbors - then it's time to get ti taken cafe of. Hoarders, especially those who not only hoard but insist of filling their houses with animals to the point where normal cleanliness is nonexistent, is a reflection of a mental illness. Urine soaked carpet, furniture, property results in amoniaand nobody should be treathin that in.

It's fine to "care" about and for animals . . . but when it gets too the point where the condition is as the OP describes - the individual who is responsible for the situation is not "caring" for the animals - they are having to live within their own excrement/urine and I doubt any of you would want that for yourself . . . if you do . . then you need some "help" yourself.

For those that say MYOB . . . . obviously you aren't living next to something like the OP describes. Put yourself in the position of the neighbors . . . suppose you wanted to sell you house? Do you think that the conditions dexcribed would "promote" the sale of your house? If it is a bad as described, and the officials do their job the they are supposed to be doing, it could very well end up with the house being condemned and demolished. You might not agree with it, but if you have seen the condition of some of the houses I have seen, you'd agree and agree quickly without debate.

It's a sad situation as the individual responsible for it needs help . . and hopefully they'll get it. I'm all for "personal rights" . . . but if you want to live like a hog . . . buy 100 acres, build yourself a house and move the whole zoo in if that makes you happy . . . just do it downwind from me and don't complain about your medical expenses when you develop respiratory issues from all the manure and urine you let pile up under the dining room table where you eat.

OP - good luck with your problem and hopefully it will get attention and corrected quickly . . . not only for you and you're neighbors sake . . . but for the person responsible as well.

Boolit Master
    Lived through these situations twice myself.

Had a family in our neighborhood that was so nasty, no one around could control the roaches completely, and we where glad for a West wind! Folks got involved, pissed of other folks, but NO laws where broken. Eventually they moved, new folks bought the house for a song, stripped and remodeled. No more roaches or bad smells, but I thought there would be a killing or a torching before it resolved.

My in-laws had stinking neighbors. They never mowed the lawn, had multiple junk cars and old tires everywhere that was a mosquito farm! The inside must have been as bad, because if you walked down the side walk and the breeze was against you, it would take your breath away! My in-laws crucially couldn't enjoy their patio for the stench and bites of mosquitos! They where fined over and over again for code violations about grass length, but nothing changed. The house eventually caugh fire, partially burned, and we bought it for near nothing! No ordnance against smells however, there are new ones now about junk cars and tires! In the end smell had nothing to do with anything! Unless there's a specific ordnance against smell, your wasting you time, and then it may be your house that gets torched first! Yes, these people usually are mentally deficient in some way, so be careful!

Community justice can be a real thing though. Where I grew up a man bought a large country house to run a gambling and illegal private club from. While he was away on a weekend trip that place exploded in flames about 5 am on Sunday morning! Funny thing is the farmer who's field sounded 3 sides of the place needed to get a jump on the weather that morning before the sun came up! The SSS on a grand scale.

Everybody's good with MYOB when it's their business BTW!

Boolit Master

If the animals are uncared for or dirty then the humane society is probably your best bet. I have heard that when exposed to the smell for so long it does not bother the owners. I think you would be doing the animals a favor to get them out of there.

Boolit Master

It's hot and humid today. The smell is lingering. They do have the house for sale. No one will buy it. That odor gets into the wood and plaster. It's a frame house. They want to move in the country so they can have all the dogs and cats they want. The house is in poor shape too. The asbestos siding is falling off. The roof leaks and the foundation is sinking. The house leans. It should be condemned. I think the health dept will be there next week. They did remove most of the dogs. The cats are kept on the 2nd floor. Not sure if they took any out.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Moderator Emeritus

Have you tried calling the town construction office? If the place is that bad it may not be structurally sound for human occupation. Just a thought.

Boolit Master

Good idea. My neighbor with the body shop. Bought a big fan for now to help blow the smell back. And he labeled it stink eliminator lol. He has asked them to but a draw fan in the front to pull that air out. But they did not.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Grand Master

First you do an investigation and forward a copy to the Co Attorney and the local board of health. Then they meet sometime in the future and issue a notice to remove the hazards as specified in the complaint, usually within 30 days. Then when noting happens you start all over again and get a court order to abate the nuisance. usually another 60 days or more to get the ball rolling. Then a notice to abate is served personally on the owner of the property. Then IF the town or village or city has the money they either condemn the property through the court or send in a clean up crew...Maybe.

I have one of these we have been fighting for over a year and as it will cost the town $10,000 to remover the currently vacant property the issue has been dodged at every board meeting.

30 years ago after the final notice we sent in the fire department for a controlled burn exercise. Not any more, all lead must be removed by a licensed contractor and papers filed, same for asbestos certification and then the house can not be burned it must be demolished and all scrap to an APPROVED land fill. All to get rid of a half ton of dog poo.

If these folks are dog lovers and THEY can stand the smell you bet they will fight it every step of the way. Just keep making WRITTEN and signed complaints to the health department and hope for the best.

Boolit Master

MOVE it is easier in the end.

Don't buy the burn him out jerk. As a former Fire investigator he is very ignorant to post that.

Boolit Grand Master
    Have you ever had any contact with them????
    How long have they lived next to you????

Many times, people like this have a mental problem.
    Very unpredictable.
    I wouldn't poke the bear.
    Let social services and the health department take care of it.

Could it be a puppy farm????
    From the sound of it, Humane Society, or ASPCA could be called.
    Does you town have ASPCA cops????
    They really care for animals.
    If it's bad enough to smell, they will do something about it.

You said they have already taken away some dogs.
    The ball has started rolling.
    They give the person as much time as they show progress.
    It might take a little time, but if they do their job, it will be taken care of.
    If not, the property will be condemned, and they will be gone.

Boolit Grand Master

Call PETA or USPCA. Those scolds will cause anyone to change their ways.
    They got any kids? CPS is a call you should make if so.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    And while your at it, catch a few episodes of a show called "Fear Thy Neighbor" to see how disputes like this sometimes end!

Things like this are why I'm living on 3 acres surrounded by a few hundred on all sides with no possibility of either land owner selling. Really.
    There is a lot of about a half acre that is on a busy state highway 3 miles from me. Guy and at least wife (see others there, no kids) moved a camper there two years ago. Started a BBQ stand. And was just that, a stand. Little business, food was ok, nothing that good. Then started a small engine repair. No shop, all in the open. In a couple of months, hundreds of scrap mowers, and various household items adorned the place. Looked like a bad flea market. All in the open, all in the rain and sun. Just trash. Then they moved everything. For about 4 months. Then came back and it is almost as bad in 3-4 months. Just a garbage collection. No food being sold, no lawnmower business, just living there.
    But they are in county and no complaints from anyone I guess. To each his own. As far as odors, Chicken farms. Several close and when they spread the cleanup water, I pray for the westerly wind.

Boolit Grand Master

Yup! Your best neighbor is always yourself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    If the animals are uncared for or dirty then the humane society is probably your best bet. I have heard that when exposed to the smell for so long it does not bother the owners. I think you would be doing the animals a favor to get them out of there.
    People who abuse animals are capable of anything. Always be armed. Been there, done that

Boolit Master
    Do you have an animal control officer in your town call them,the Health dept should be called as well. Your town might have laws on the number of cats,dogs etc that your allowed to have. Makes me sad,mad when I hear stories like this my wife and I have adopted a couple of dogs that were taken from such squalid conditions.

Boolit Master

The world under these idiots is going down the pupu..

https://youtu.be/NqcnnXoUTXk

https://youtu.be/OPLg7kDc2YE

There are multiple videos on uTube where folks complain AND GET OTHER FOLKS to come out because of BBQ SMELLS!!!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    MOVE it is easier in the end.

Don't buy the burn him out jerk. As a former Fire investigator he is very ignorant to post that.
    It was joke. Lighten up geezer.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

My neighbor with the body shop spoke with the township commissioner. He is going to get the ball rolling. Animal control was there, They removed most of the dogs. Were allowed 4. So hopefully now it will get shut down and demolished. The owners are moving to a farm in October supposedly.
    One round at a time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12