Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: Pricing Old Remingtons (or other Bolt Guns)

Boolit Master

Pricing Old Remingtons (or other Bolt Guns)

Good Morning Gents,

In looking around for a Left-Handed Rem 700, I'm finding a lot of handsome older guns.

How does one price an older, used rifle?

What I am looking for is a good condition, usable field (Left Handed) bolt gun that isn't going to cost me $800.
    I'm pretty well set on 30-06 because it's easy to cast/load for and you can find ammo literally anywhere for fairly cheap.

My thought was to put a synthetic stock on it for hunting and general use, but keep the nice wood stock stored.

At this point in my life (full time job, living with in-laws, 2 young daughters with a third on the way) I don't have time/money/space to load/cast, so I'm buying factory ammo.

Basically, how do I know I'm getting a good deal and how do I negotiate a good deal on a decent condition used gun that I can be proud passing down, but not be heartbroken if I mess it up?

Thanks!
    Chris
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

USMC 77, USRA 79

If it’s a 700 your looking for, from my perspective, find something you like, offer what you can afford. If you get it, take care of it, use it, and if it gets dinged up a bit but is well used and loved, it just adds personality. Throw it behind the seat of your truck, take it with you on your walks and such durring hunting.. don’t worry too much about it. If your kids know you loved it, used it, and spent time with it, they will love it also cuz you did.

Just my opinion,

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Moderator Emeritus

"How does one price an older, used rifle?"
    I probably should not be the one to answer, as for too many years a firearm (they DO talk!) would shout out, "BUY ME!!!" and I didn't have the won't power to say no. However, as I got older (and poorer (from too many foolish purchases?)) I came to the realization that anyone may put ANY price on any item. Put a $10.00 price tag on a common brick at a yard sale table. Hey -- to my way of thinking, that brick has NOT the ten dollar value... and, when the person offers a quarter -- which is accepted for it -- then, and only then is it's REAL worth established. Re firearms -- which would, I would think, work with the firearm you're interested in obtaining, I'd so a search on GunBroker dot com, as well as perhaps other auction houses. Annnd, there are the ubiquitous "Blue Books of Gun Values" -- but, I caution you, here. My (recently deceased) best friend Hughie always bought and used two of these -- one for prices when he was "buying"; the 2nd book -- always with higher prices -- for when he was "selling".
    Personally, not thaaaat long ago a handgun shouted "BUY ME!" but the price was actually a couple hundred dollars more than I could swing. I researched, and then printed, several GunBroker SALES of a comparable revolver and, armed with these and cash money paid the dealer a visit. The revolver followed me home ....
    Another, albeit possibly dysfunctional way of looking at it, is to find the lowest listed price for an old Remington as you seek, and call this "ZERO". No matter what you may buy, this is the bottom line to become an owner. Then, if the one is, say, $99.00 higher -- you (at least I do) can justify your bargain at less than one hundred dollars greater than entry cost to own one.
    ANY and EVERY firearm cannot really speak, other than the "Buy Me!" I mentioned. Did a prior owner handload a few by filling the cases with Bullseye? Was the firearm dropped from a tree stand ( one of my deals )? Did a prior owner use a stainless steel brush to clean the barrel? On the other hand, if none of the above fit -- and you want it -- go for it.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

As in anything, Chris, it's condition, condition, condition. Decide ahead of time what you will accept for condition and what you won't accept. The former issues (seller doesn't know you will accept) become barganing chips. The last issue is obvious, if you won't accept that condition there is no deal.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Probably not the right guy to answer your question so here goes. When I was younger just about any old rifle said "buy me". Now a lot older and somewhat wiser if it's a model 700 in 30-06 with a true magazine instead of a blind mag I would suggest a pre 2000 one. The older the better. Checkering was done by hand, stocks were made of a good quality wood and fitted well. Barrels were also better. Today's Remingtons are no where near what they used to make. Do a google search for the date codes usually stamped on the breech of the barrel, print it out and keep it in your wallet. This way you can find out when that "buy me" model 700 was made. Newer is not always better. Frank

Boolit Master

I really like the older 700s too, have several. It's funny, I used to see and buy them on occasion back in the '90s for around $300 for a decent one (usually an ADL). I see them around at gun shows occasionally for very tempting prices. I don't buy them because I haven't hunted in decades. The prices? I see them once in a while for $300 to $400 for really clean, older rifles. Considering inflation, I think they've gone down in value.

I saw one recently, a really nice older 700 ADL from the '70s or '80s, in .270 Win if my memory is correct. I think the asking price was something like $325. I would have been really tempted if I'd had any use for it at all, except it was left handed!

Boolit Buddy
    Personally I'm partial to my 721 chambered in 300 H & H purchased in 1957. Very accurate, you just have to get used to its 26" barrel.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Busetti View Post
    Personally I'm partial to my 721 chambered in 300 H & H purchased in 1957. Very accurate, you just have to get used to its 26" barrel.
    That sounds like a good time, but I don't think the Central VA deer require all that horsepower..
    Chris

Μολὼν λαβέ

"Si vis pacem para bellum"

Boolit Grand Master

Central Virginia black bears don't either.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The 30-06 left handed 700 should be the easiest one to find. Priced fairly it should be $300-$500 dependent on condition. The many millions selling 700 is a wonderful rifle and I hope you find THE one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Arisaka99 View Post

In looking around for a Left-Handed Rem 700, I'm finding a lot of handsome older guns.

How does one price an older, used rifle ?

What I am looking for is a good condition, usable field (Left Handed) bolt gun that isn't going to cost me $800.

If/when you find the right rifle, the price will be right, no matter what it costs.

Like's too short, to dance with something you don't like - so stop and smell the roses, and get whatever floats your boat.

BTW, IME, LH firearms can be more pricey than RH firearms because there were never as many made as was their RH duplicates.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Why not just go to Gunbroker for prices instead of guessing ... https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search...%20left%20hand
    Regards
    John

Don't rush it either, my youngest nephew tasked me with finding him a pump shot gun, either an Ithaca 37 or a Remington 870. Took me almost a year but I found him a gorgeous 870 in almost new condition-1951 receiver with a 1968 vent rib barrel. Bluing is virtually un-marked the guy I bought it from said he bought it 25-30 years earlier and never fired it. I think he took it out, wiped it down with a diaper and put it back away twice a year. Looking at the wear marks on the op bars, maybe 10-15 boxes of shells through it. Nice wood, corn cob forearm. NO hi-gloss polyurethane on this gun. Told the nephew, the only reason he was getting it was because he asked me to look for one for him or I would have kept it for myself.

Dang miserable kid.

Don't rush it.

The 870 came indirectly from a Craigslist ad. The guy was selling a bunch of reloading stuff Cheeeep. When I got there, we started talking guns and shooting and he mentioned the 870. I took one look at it a decided it shouldn't be a safe queen any longer.

He also had a 4 digit serial # Ruger 10/22 in like condition. Problem is I have to take my shoes off to count as high as the number of 22's I own.

But I still have his phone number, and the wife is going to visit her parents next week and leaving me un-supervised

USMC 77, USRA 79

“But I still have his phone number, and the wife is going to visit her parents next week and leaving me un-supervised”...

Oh My...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

A good 700 BDL in 30/06 is about $400 in my area. Left hand on local level are hard sell and wouldn't bring any more than right hand gun. The market for standard deer cals in used BAs is soft. Varmit calibers and magnums bring a liittle more. So my guess would be $400-$500. I would also guess that 30/06 was top selling caliber not only in 700 line but also the most common you will find in a left hand gun.

Boolit Master

If I learned one thing in 13 years of gun sales it's this: If you don't want a gun rack to float away into outer space, weigh it down with a left-handed firearm and you need not worry about it.

That can work for you. Unless a store gets a RIDICULOUS amount of traffic, only a lobotomized manager would order a lefty model in just for inventory. If one ends up on the shelf as new or used, it was probably purchased at a lowball offer, and there's probably wiggle room on the selling price - they certainly want to get it out of the store.

You probably shouldn't be brand-picky, as used lefty guns will mostly be targets of opportunity unless you are launching an exhaustive quest for your grail. Ruger has done a number of nice M77 MKII stainless synthetics or stainless laminates which are perfect to carry in GOOD hunting weather.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Every time I’ve seen a wrong hand Remington 700 it has been cheaper than it’s right hand counterpart.

I'm righty as it gets but I would buy a southpaw gun in a heart beat if priced right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    Agree, Gunbroker would a good source as well. I'm all about condition as well. Love the older Model 700's.

Boolit Master
    About pricing used rifles.

1. The basis starts with the cost of a new factory rifle sold by a dealer.
    If the dealer buys a new rifle for his store at 75% of the MSRP then he will NEVER pay that 75% for a used rifle unless it has some collector potential.

2. So a beater of a rifle will probably bring less than 50% of as new rifle.
    A good used rifle might be bought at 50% of MSRP and the dealer would ask 75% of the cost of a new rifle.

These are only the rules of thumb that I use for a sanity check. I have a paid the 75% many times but I have found a bargain now and them where i got a nice rifle for 50% of the local going rate. Some dealers do not like certain rifles and price them to move.

You can also find a dealer marking down his inventory when a certain model is discontinued. The best way to determine what is reasonable is to troll gun shops and gun shows.
    EDG