MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load DataReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC question....seasonal changes?

That's exactly what I do...I load up my ASBBDT with boolits...then bake in small batches. Usually no more than 50 on the tray and about 30-45 in the basket.

When I bake in the basket...I remove right away when I get the "ding"....then gently shake the basket so the boolits don't stick to each other or the basket...then I dump them out on the nonstick foil for cooling completely.

The larger diameter boolits I stand up on foil on a try...when I get the "ding" I just open the oven door and let them cool down in place.

This method has been working for me...I can't complain about my results...especially now that I got the "humidity" issue worked out.

redhawk.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I store my powder in airtight glass jars placed in the freezer. Humidity doesn't get any worse that where I live in the Gulf Coast; 90-95% is common and it's not raining. I used to coat when the humidity was low, but now I just preheat every batch and monitor my temp to assure it is below 150F before dumping into my tumbler. The coating comes out perfect every time.

excellent hint...I have a meat freezer in the shop. I can easily store my powders (including the component ingredients for BP) in the freezer. I keep them stored separate in Ball jars now to keep them air-tight. I might just do the same with my PC powders and put them on the door....If I can keep the wife from getting upset.

Now...how do you prep the frozen jars before you open them for PCing. If you open them up cold you'll have a huge moisture attraction. Do you heat your powder jars as well?

redhawk

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

to go back to your OP . . . I PC all year round and in the garage. I've done it when it was too cold for me! I've done it while watching it rain and when the outside temp was over 90°

I use the Airsoft BBs and have great results.

powder is stored in Mason jars in garage. My bowl has whatever powder is left over and also in garage.

All good for me
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Thanx, Walter...I appreciate your insight.

I'm trying my Leaf Green out right now. Its the one I'm not sure of (unused)...All indications are that it will need two coats. Those 405 slugs looked a little spotty. I swirled/shook 100 of them (in a #5 ice cream container) with 2 Tablespoons of powder. They aren't real bad like i had a few days ago...but they didn't look as well covered as my 44s and 38s from yesterday.

We'll see....once I know that a particular powder works well...then I mix some different flavors to make custom....like my robin egg blue yesterday.

redhawk

Boolit Master
    I used to let my powders come up to room temp after taking them out of my garage refrigerator freezer, but I found I could just scope out what powder I needed then, seal and put the jar back into the freezer without any issues. I have used powder stored like this that was over 5 years old. Heat and moisture is the apparent enemy of powder.
    I use the jars that have a silicon seal and a wire latching ring. They have a large mouth, open/close quick and easy and seal airtight. In most cases I can open the jar remove what I need without even removing the jar from the freezer. I find these in various sizes at the local Goodwill and occasionally at the dollar store. Since we have a stand alone freezer the wife could care less about what I do in the garage.

good info...much appreciated.

redhawk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12