Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Of the three companies I am aware of, which do you recommend for PC?

Boolit Grand Master

Smokes! It works for me.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

i use smokes powders a lot but wanted some other colors than he carries (mostly due to popularity) but i went with powder by the pound as they were mentioned on more youtube vids than any other and went with the RAL colors like the RAL brand that smokes carries. the traffic orange doesnt pigment coat well just like whites and yellows but olive drab and black cherry DTasbb in a coolwhip type tub. after several runs with all of the pbtp colors i did mention it to smokes that they worked for me

Boolit Master
    For colors that smoke does not carry check out the high gloss solid color line at Prismatic Powder, so far all the solid colors I have tried will tumble coat. I particularly like Tractor Green, Bright Green, Bubba Blue, Blue Streak, Plumb Purple, Really Red, just to mention a few that tumble well. If you want to spray, and not just bullets, the two coat applications with a base coat and a see through top coat gives some dazzling results. Get on their mailing list and look for sales, discounted drops and powder over runs for better prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    This has been my experience too. I have yet to find a white that covers well.

I must have hit things just right. I had great coverage of Smoke's White (also took advantage of the 4th of July special)

Second from left is .358 158gr HP in Smoke's White.

redhawk

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boolits-PC.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	244512

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Banned
    Prismatic Powder, powders look good BUT their min shipping fee is $13.95 for 1 to? pounds kind of defeats small purchases.

TOTAL $27.97 for 1 pound of powder

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Prismatic Powder, powders look good BUT their min shipping fee is $13.95 for 1 to? pounds kind of defeats small purchases.

TOTAL $27.97 for 1 pound of powder
    True, but I usually buy about 5 pounds at a time and that can be 5 different colors or just one.

Boolit Master
    Maybe it is a regional thing, I don't know but HF Red has always worked great for me. I also use Smokes in 3 different colors but the HF Red is every bit as good for me & I've used a LOT of it.

Dick

Banned

smokes just works. Why bother with anything else. Will they stand behind them for coating bullets if they don't work right. Before he ships it he makes sure it works for BULLETS.

Boolit Bub
    Smokes Clear !!

Quote Originally Posted by bruce drake View Post
    Smokes is a member of the forum and stands by his product. I use Eastwood paints and I heartily recommend NOT using Harbor Freight powders.
    THIS ^^^^^
    Both PBP & Eastwood are fine, at least in the colors I have tried. I would avoid anyones flat unless you are spraying.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Maybe it is a regional thing, I don't know but HF Red has always worked great for me. I also use Smokes in 3 different colors but the HF Red is every bit as good for me & I've used a LOT of it.

Dick
    Spray or shake & bake?
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Shake & bake. Takes about 30-45 seconds in a plastic bottle (air soft bottle) I get as good or better coverage than I do with Smokes but I also like Smokes. I've probably taken around 20+ head of game by now using almost always HF Red. If I thought something else was better I'd use it, sorry but it isn't. But again, maybe it's humidity in some parts of the country, I have zero problems here in Idaho.

Dick

Boolit Master

It isn't only that HF is “ bad” sixshot. Its not bad at all. Its just a lesser quality or better less quality coverage than some others. Red in general isnt as good as other colors for complete coverage. (For me) Its that others are simply better. (Im Being picky when I say red is imperfect compared to others)

Yea it works, one day if you have a chance, try some Smokes or Eastwood Ford Blue and you will
    Immediately see of what we speak.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    cwlongshot, I guess you didn't read my reply, I do use Smokes powders! I currently have 5 lbs on hand, red, black & blue. But I don't think you read what I said, I like it but it's no better than HF red, UNLESS there is something to do with humidity in different parts of the country because I get just a bit better coverage with HF red than I do with Smokes, not much but just a bit. Not trying to create an argument with anyone, use what works but I've went through an awful lot of powder & probably taken more game than anyone on the forum with painted bullets & shot many thousands at paper & steel, if I thought something else was better...... I'd use it. I use both & I like both. But the guys that say HF red is garbage, take a look at some of my targets with several different calibers, I can fill several pages with them & show you at least 20 different animals I've taken over the last several hunting seasons to back it up. I like Smokes powders, I also love HF red & several guys sent me several lbs, thank you very much!

Dick

Boolit Buddy
    Ditto!

Boolit Master

Apologies Dick. You are correct I did not read where you have use anything but HF!

NO WORRIES!! I dont take it as any kind of argument!!

I haven't had great luck with ANY RED... OR YELLOW OR ORANGE for that matter. By luck I mean smooth even blotch free coatings. I started with HF red too!! Used most of a bottle before I got different colors and saw that they provided much better looking boolits!!

I never said or meant to suggest that they created inaccurate Bullets!!

It surely could be environment as it surely does have a large effect of this as it relies heavily on static electricity!

Im glad you like the results you are getting! I have yet to take any game with a powder coated bullet. But I have taken many with cast lead and 99% of those where with MY CAST bullets. Much pride in that! I hope to have a few head this season to PC Cast bullets that I make.

Nice lookin targets!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master

Another Smoke's fan. I started with his products and am so satisfied that I have no need to try anything else. Besides, one of his colors matches the grip of the pistol in my avatar. What more could I want?
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Vendor Sponsor

Many thanks for all the kind words and recommendions
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    It's great stuff & I'll continue to use it, thanks!

Dick

Boolit Master

From what I have read here I will probably buy my next powder from Smoke but it may be a while. I have 9 different Eastwood colors and all coat extremely well except Cream & Chevy Orange. Cream was good with 2 coats. I only tried Chevy Orange as a second coat over the Cream & coverage was poor. One good thing about Eastwood is they sell other things besides powder paint. On my last order I picked up a nice reciprocal saw off the clearance page for 30 bucks. But it sure looks like Smoke is the clear winner here.

Bob
    Si hostes visibilis, etiam tu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast