Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm a sucker for hard luck cases, this time it's an 1894 Winchester rifle.

Boolit Master

I'm a sucker for hard luck cases, this time it's a 94 Winchester rifle-at the range

As usual, I ran into a gun I found interesting. The gun shop had a Winchester leaning in the corner, and when they showed it to me, it's obvious that the gun has had a hard life. It's a Model 1894 in .38-55 and the serial number puts it at being made in 1895. According to the shop owner, the guy who brought it in to sell it was as old as the hills and he was still using it up until a couple years back.
    As you can see from the photos, it's spent some time outdoors. The barrel has a lot of pitting, as does the receiver and the lever. The shocking thing is that the rifling is excellent with almost no wear at all. The action is still slick and the inside of the receiver has no pitting at all. The wood, not sure where that came from, the forearm looks like a Marlin, the buttstock, don't have a clue, there's no holes drilled for a butt pad at all.
    So the real thing is, what to do with it?
    I talked to Bobby Tyler at Tyler Gun Works, and it would be way beyond what the gun's value to bring it back to what it was. The other thing is, would the barrel be safe to shoot with the pitting the way it is? The inside is fine, but there's the outside. I found another barrel to be on the safe side so I can have it put on. Wood is ok, I can get that. Any ideas? I paid next to nothing for it, the shop owner wasn't all that thrilled another employee bought it in the first place. We'll have to see what becomes of it.

Last edited by David LaPell; 07-03-2019 at 10:00 PM.
    Whatever cannot be remedied, must be endured.

Personally id leave it like it is. Very interesting, thanks for sharing.

Looks like a rear sight base from a post 64 version. I would put a correct sight on it.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 06-26-2019 at 07:07 PM.

**** thats pitted! I thought I had a pitted rifle.

I would still say its safe to shoot. The receiver doesn't matter. The barrel is pretty normal to have heavy rust/pitting/missing blue. Its the balance point and everyone holds the rifle there. It looks like 100+ years of never being oiled on the outside.

The only thing bothering me is the wood not fitting against the receiver but from far I really like the look. its unique!

Wow...has that rifle been over hill and dale. I love the "rustic" look. I wouldn't change a thing.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

That right there is the epitome of a truck gun ! .

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Just from the appearance, I'd say it's safe to shoot. I do believe that it could be restored, but it would be a labor of love. Lots of draw filing there.

Boolit Buddy
    David,, go back to your dealer ,,, talk to the feller who took the rifle in ,, " Find the guy who sold it " there is a story waiting to be told,, history in the making ,, the rifle can't talk ,, But the old feller can . "Great Rifle "!!!!

coffee's ready ,,Hootmix.

Quote Originally Posted by Hootmix View Post
    David,, go back to your dealer ,,, talk to the feller who took the rifle in ,, " Find the guy who sold it " there is a story waiting to be told,, history in the making ,, the rifle can't talk ,, But the old feller can . "Great Rifle "!!!!

coffee's ready ,,Hootmix.
    AWESOME idea....yes....try to get the backstory.

I wish we had a Like button.

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    That rifle is exquisite. I can't stop looking at the pics.

Please leave it as is unless mechanical issues are found.

I'm sure the original wood rotted off. I'd shoot it a lot with mild loads as it is and not insult it with oil at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Wow. And I thought I had a hard life.

I'd just clean it up and shoot all cast & mild loads in it.

The pitting in the barrel shouldn't make it unsafe to shoot.
    It won't help the accuracy much, but I don't see how it's dangerous.

The rear leaf looks new.
    Take it off and bury it in a flower pot for a few months, that'll make it look like it is the original.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Now that's a rifle with "character" - I'd keep it as it is. And the suggestion to track down the history of it is a good idea as well. Thanks for sharing . . . that would look so good on the wall with the printed history of it underneath!

Boolit Master

Wow, I would love one like that. For 100+ she ain't bad! Would be a great cast gun with the bore in good shape, I think I would try to find the rear wood and tone down the blue on that sight. Seems like when I find one like that they want way to much because it is a 100+ year old Winchester and it must be worth at least a grand.

Boolit Buddy
    It’s your gun do as you wish. Me? Other than hold it pat it’s receiver and tell it “Well done ol girl.” Wouldn’t touch it. As to the back story, if you can find the old guy in my opinion that would be worth a decent dinner for him and the Mrs. Don’t forget to tell him you will love it as much as he did, because he probably didn’t WANT to sell it. But that’s just me. Don’t dawdle he may not be around too long and then the history is gone forever. Sign me a sentimental old fool. But that’s why I like hunting with 100 year old leverguns.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Looks like it spent time in SE Alaska...

I am with the others... Shoot It, Shoot it, SHOOT IT!!!!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations, David, on finding this. Bion, I own a brother or sister of this firearm -- mine is: Winchester Model 1894 .38-55 Octagon Barrel Rifle, serial number 42,xxx, also of 1895 Manufacture! Mine is in a tad better shape; e.g., hardly (if at all) any pitting at all. It is "on display" at a son's house quite a few miles distant -- but I can ask him to take, send me, and then perhaps I may post or send you a photo or two. I bought mine in 1976, a private sale purchase, giving $375.00 for it. I never fired it, although it may be shoot-able, still. If/when son takes photos and emails same to me, you will be able to see wood, sights, etc. on mine -- which I believe to be 100% factory original.
    Do you know the serial number of this one?
    geo

Boolit Master

Based on your comments of a slick action and good rifling, my position is aligned with those who say to take care of it as is and shoot it every chance you get. I bet shooting it will feel good. This tool knows her trade, and will show you she can perform if you give her the chance. If you make modifications for sake of appearances, you'll strip away her soul and she'll never work as well as she does now.
    BDGR

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I am a sucker for things like this to. If bore is ok i would give it a go and see. I feel it just needs a bit of love.

Moderator Emeritus

Lucky for us both, perhaps -- son on VaCa and at home -- so he took and sent me a few photos of mine:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win 1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	23.1 KB 
ID:	244212Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win 2.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	244213Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win 3.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	36.2 KB 
ID:	244214Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win 4.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	244215Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Win 5.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	244216
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

I'd leave it and shoot it or if the bore was toast, then I would sleeve it and shoot it.

Nice gun!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast