MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New #1 is a pretty little thumper

New #1 is a pretty little thumper

I was just looking at the Ruger catalog and there beside the silly muzzlebrake stainless laminate .450 Bushmaster offering- is the Real Deal. .450 MARLIN Blue And Walnut 20" baby elephant carbine! I can't afford it but I like it!

Boolit Master
    I think the #1 B is the best looking rifle out there. The falling block Browning ain't too shabby, either!
    Last edited by Tom W.; 06-22-2019 at 10:39 PM.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Bub
    The 1B in 7 mm Remington mag was the best shooting number 1 I ever owned in my collection it was a tack driver but in a weak moment I let it go was also the cheapist one I ever bought 625.00 out the door super nice gun to.

Deaconllb

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger Thunder Range Carbine and Ruger American in 450 Bushmaster Both will be sent down the road I have way too many big bore rifles and the 450 Bushmaster does nothing the 460 Smith and Wesson can do better.

Boolit Buddy

The problem with the Ruger #1 is that there getting too expensive which in turn is extending the time until which I can afford to retire!

Boolit Master
    my brother bought a #1 in 25-06 about 20 years ago and you couldn't hit the side of a barn with it standing inside,he never would try to make it right he just pulled his scope and sold it,ive always wanted on in 308

I had one #1; a standard 22-250 with gorgeous wood. I starved for a month to save $350 to buy it. It shot 1-2" groups with handloads that were sub moa in my $85 Rem 788. I sent it down the road before I scratched it up. The old Light Sporter in 30-40 Krag was what I wanted but they didn't make it. They are out of the range I'll pay for a gun now.

Boolit Master
    im with ya im not paying 2200 for a single shot rifle,ive got a h&r in 308 and a cva in 243,i paid 325 for each one of those and thinking about sending them down the rd

Boolit Master
    I bought a number one in 25-06 almost thirty years ago and never touched it for accuracy. the worst it will do is 1 1/2 inch at a hundred and 3/4 inch is normal. It is a keeper and it is not for sale!
    Look twice, shoot once.

I have a lot of single shot rifles but never owned a # 1 for unknown reasons ?
    I always had the money to buy one and came close many times but never even bought a used one.
    Just 2 years ago I could have bought a NIB no. 1 in 338 Federal in a lightweight model for $ 675.00 and for a while I seen them in 9.3 X 74 R new for under $ 800.00.
    Now for some reason they have made a huge step up in price, they seem to be several hundred more than a new Winchester 1885 where for years the Ruger was always less ?
    I really want to sell off a lot of my guns as I don't have the energy or places to hunt anymore to use them all but if I come across a used No. 1 that I like and at a fair price I am sure my weakness for single shots will give in and I will own one at some point.

Jedman

Ruger no1 are really expensive for what they are. I think pricing is driven by collectors rather than shooters. Most of the ones you find for sale have never been shot. It's a pity, because for the left-handed-shooter they are great, and with 45-70 in particular, they are an outstanding cast boolit platform. No OAL concerns. Tremendous strength. Long barrel. Great handling. It's just hard for me to blow a grand when I can get the same general performance form yet another Contender barrel, which can be picked up on Ebay for a couple hundred bucks.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I think the No.1's are the best looking guns out there for single shot rifles produced domestically, as to them being accurate, to an extent just like other type action rifles, sometimes it is just the luck of the draw. Although, some can be improved on with a little work.

I had a #1B in .308 several years ago. After a little work, it would do sub-moa with the right hand load. Sold it cause it never got used (moved to a shotgun-only state for deer season). I miss it, but I get more range use with my Sharps.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MOA View Post
    I think the No.1's are the best looking guns out there for single shot rifles produced domestically, as to them being accurate, to an extent just like other type action rifles, sometimes it is just the luck of the draw. Although, some can be improved on with a little work.

I can't make out the caliber on that very nice #1- is it a Tropical Model?

Boolit Master

I've only owned one Ruger #1. Mine was in 25-06 shot well but not the tac driver some seem to have. Factory loads would shoot 1 to 2" groups. The 117 gr. Hornady Lite Magnum being best factory. Hand loads were a little better. It would usually shoot 100 gr. Sierra FB @ .75 inch but only over a medium charge of AA3100. A very nice rifle. Just a little fussy about what it liked to eat. Accuracy perfectly acceptable for our deer sized big game. I gave mine to my oldest son for his 21st Birthday.
    I hope Ruger can maintain the line. More accurate and cheaper rifles are available but the Ruger #1 remains an American classic.
    Last edited by Loudenboomer; 12-08-2018 at 12:57 PM.

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I can't make out the caliber on that very nice #1- is it a Tropical Model?
    The top image is chambered in 450/400-3" Nitro Express. This is a 1-H, the tropical with a heavy 24" barrel.
    The bottom image is chambered in 9.3 X 74R. This is a 1-S, the medium sporter with a 26" barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    I hope Ruger can maintain the line. ... cheaper rifles are available but the Ruger #1 remains an American classic.
    I agree. Frequently I hear complaints of "I'd never pay that much money for a single shot rifle." My attitude is exactly the opposite. Bolt action repeaters are a dime a dozen and lack the character of a high quality single shot rifle. Excellent lever action rifles are available, and do have aesthetic appeal. But a high-quality, highly accurate single shot is the epitome of rifle design and execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    I agree. Frequently I hear complaints of "I'd never pay that much money for a single shot rifle." My attitude is exactly the opposite. Bolt action repeaters are a dime a dozen and lack the character of a high quality single shot rifle. Excellent lever action rifles are available, and do have aesthetic appeal. But a high-quality, highly accurate single shot is the epitome of rifle design and execution.
    Hear, hear! There's just something elegant and sophisticated in their design, despite the overall simplicity (at least sometimes simple ) in their function that cannot be met by any bolt gun.

I, too, love a good lever gun for similar reasons, though they usually have a somewhat more "utilitarian" aesthetic.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Fantastic looking guns. I at one time had over 20 of them got married sold them so we had a down payment for our first house.

The most brutal one I owned was 416 Rigby just kicked the snot out of me.

But everything from 22 Hornet and 218 Bee to 458 Win Mag. Now I have just couple a 7x57 and a custom Reeder 375 GNR which is a 45-70 necked to 375. Great cartridge.

I like brakes only because I do not like recoil anymore....

Boolit Master

There are two rifles that I have given up on as far as accuracy. One was a 1976 No.1 in a 25-06 in a varmit barrel. The rifle would shoot 3 shots fairly accurately, one outside the group2-3 inches and then about 1 out of 5 shots would be 2-3 feet off the target. I tried different scopes,different powders,heavy and light bullets,forearm free floated,glass bed forearm,match dies with the same results. Itraded it for a Rem. 700 in .308.
    The other rifle was a Savage/Anschultz model 164. It grouped about 4-5inches at 50 yards with any and all ammo. I wish I had kept both rifles and rebarreled them.
    Like others I can long longer afford a No.1.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast