Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boolit machinz

Boolit Mold

Boolit machinz

In my quest for boolit equipment, my dad gave me, among other things, the Lyman 45 lube/sizer he's been using steadily for some 50 years or so. He's 80, so it coulda been longer... only reason he parted with it is he said he has a few of them... Hoarder. After receiving it, I just did a little initial clean up on it, and then started digging around this site for information on it. Found the Lyman 45 thread, read the first post, walked into the reloading room and checked it for play. Evidently, all those years of use didn't come without a price. There is play in it when tested as described in the first post in that thread. I would describe it using the highly technical term "Wibbly, Wobbly" I'm not really sure I even want to use it for pistol boolits? I didn't measure it with a dial indicator, but there looks to be somewhere around .010" or more with the top piece all the way down or close to it. The handle pivot point seems to also have some wear. I do believe the technical term for that is "Flopadilly". I think ill relegate this one to parts and try to find another. I don't plan on telling Dad, because he'll probably ask for it back...
    Of course, the next one will cost me money, so I'm gonna have to get off my wallet. This may take some time, because I like sitting on my wallet...it has a tendency to save me money, although it does have the negative effect of slowing down progress... and I really just wanna cast sum boolits and choot em. So... if I happen to find the Sizers and top punches I need for it, I may end up trying to make crooked boolits fly straight for a bit. Either that, or if I can get away with it ill choot em as cast...

I Saw some Lyman 45's on ebay, a couple looked to be in good shape, the rest looked worse than what I got...
    and I'm pretty sure that and scrounging around flea markets, yard sales, pawn shops, etc will be my only source, as everyone here loves em so much, they probably won't sell them...

As an aside, this site has way too much info for a new guy to it to sift through. All I been doing since joining is reading, and I'm not actually feeling like I'm making good progress here. This is only my second post, I figured I had to start somewhere, so figgered boolit machinz is what I needs, so I start with the Lyman 45, since I got set back a bit by my gived to me one.
    I need a new Lyman 45 and top punches and sizing dies for it for 44 Mag, 45 ACP, and a 30-30. I don't know the numbers yet, but ill search for em and get back to you all...

I also got a Saeco model 24 furnace from Dad. That seems to work... I cleaned it up a bit... Prolly a bit too much, now I'm all proud of it an don't wanna put dirty lead init, so now I'm looking for a Dutch oven to render my lead. I have a nice Dutch oven, but it's for food... ill be back at the same ol places look in for one a those too. Plan on using a turkey deep fryer burner for heat, I got that already, ordered a lyman temp gauge, should be here tomorrow. Need to come up with some handles and boolit molds, I got the Elmer Keith mold for the 44 mag, but need the 45 ACP, and 30-30 mold. Plan on the Lyman 452374 for the 45 ACP, and the Lyman 311291 for the 30-30. I got some of the safety gear, but I think my welding gloves shrank... or my hands gained weight, so ILL grab a pair a those.

So if annybuddyz got this stuff sittin around and wants to help out, I'd be willin to take it off your handz and put em to werkin. If the price is right. Otherwise, by all estimations of time and finances, it might be 2020 before I git to cast sum boolits... and that's a shame.

Banned
    Welcome !

Before you relegate that Lyman 45 [see correction below] to the parts bin, I would try it. A little play in the ram, (I listed the wrong number, this device lacks a ram)while not ideal, isn't an absolute deal breaker.
    If the sized bullets are consistently round, you can live with a little play in the ram. With a flat top punch you may find the bullets come out just fine.

That SAECO furnace will serve you well. You'll need a ladle but there's nothing wrong with that setup.

before you invest in a Lyman molds, particularly that Lyman 452374, allow me to steer you towards another option - The SAECO #69 mold is a close copy of the H&G 200 SWC and a VERY good bullet for 45 ACP. Lyman's quality seems very suspect these days and I would avoid them. If you don't mind two cavity molds, RCBS is always a safe bet and their customer service is second to none.

EDIT - I referred to the Lyman 45 and that is incorrect - I meant to write Lyman 450, which is a different design than the 45.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 06-25-2019 at 05:59 PM. Reason: incorrect model number

Boolit Buddy

A large stainless steel cooking pot from the local thrift store makes a good lead rendering container instead of a cast iron dutch oven.

Another option for the 452374 is the recently closed Group Buy on the MP version 6 cavity. MP usually has extras. Their 6 cav. would be about the same price (maybe less) than the RCBS item. The MP molds are excellent.

Boolit Mold
    Good morning's to boolits makerz!

Petrol and Powder, thank you for your post. I thought about just trying it and seeing if it would work ok for me. Also, I thought about sleeving the reservoir part, and honing the top piece to tighten, then oversizing those rods... the I thought, ill be mostly north of 75 bucks by the time that's done, why not just buy a pristine one, or (OMG, buy a 4500...gulp...) I could always make the 45 a museum piece... I likes me sum anteeks...
    I have a ladle, used to use it for top pour operations years ago, dad kep it fer me...
    I want to stick as close as possible to 230 grain round nose. I am duly afeered of the Lyman mold after reading horror stories, I looked at some others but they were in the 200 gr range, and I want 230 gr... almost thought of a full custom mold cuz I didn't like the Lyman casting small stories, and listed as a 225 grain. May still go that way, or check RCBS. I don't know enough to mind 2 cavity molds. Because of dad steering me, he sez I should stay away from brass an aloominum, and jes git de iron wunz... so there's that...

Thanks again Petrol and Powder!

Owejia, yeah, believe it or not we used to top pour out of an old aluminium pot, so I'm not surprised a stainless steel one will work. I was just looking for that old Time country feel and some nostalgia.. gotta do it with flair and panache... but if that sucker cost 3 bucks and the cast iron cost 15 bucks, ill be takin yer advice and headin home wif my muny and my shiny stainless pot...
    Thank you owejia!!

Oldhenry, does MP sell single or 2 cavity molds? I will look into this maker of excellent molds and see what's afoot there.
    Thank you oldhenry!

This site need a thank you buttonz...

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    ...SNIP

If you have a friend with access to some machine tools, there are a couple of fixes for that old Lyman sizer. 1. you can bore out the frame and install a bushing. 2. you can bore out the frame and fabricate a larger diameter ram. I'm not sure an old Lyman 45 is worth that kind of effort but those are options.
    P&P,
    I believe you are thinking of a 450 and/or 4500. The 45 is a totally different design and it doesn't have a ram.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 1YLDKAT View Post
    ...SNIP

I would describe it using the highly technical term "Wibbly, Wobbly" I'm not really sure I even want to use it for pistol boolits? I didn't measure it with a dial indicator, but there looks to be somewhere around .010" or more with the top piece all the way down or close to it. The handle pivot point seems to also have some wear. I do believe the technical term for that is "Flopadilly". I think ill relegate this one to parts and try to find another.

...SNIP

I got the Elmer Keith mold for the 44 mag,
    1YLDKAT,
    Welcome to the forum.

Before you relegate the loose 45 for parts. Give it a try.
    When you procure a size die and top punch, get a Flat top punch for the Keith mold...or you can easily make one with a 1/4" bolt.

Tightness and alignment is much less crucial for pistol boolits, than for Rifle boolits. But I would still be mindful about the slop in the 45 as you are using it. Concentrate on moving the handle squarely when pushing it down and do not lean on it sideways, even slightly. Keep it oiled up and all the pivet points, that's what wears them out.
    Good luck and be sure to ask any questions as they arise...there is a lot to learn to this hobby.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Thank you JonB, will do!
    Man, you said allot in that last sentence!

I told another helpful man in another thread:

"After spending too much time reading on this site, and feeling like not enough time doing, I'm smarter than I was, and dumber than I thought".

Ill keep after it.

Boolit Buddy
    Don't buy current MFG Lyman molds! Quality control is **** with dimensions and roundness both far worse than the older Lyman molds, Ideal or anything from the semi-custom or custom mold makers.

RichardB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    P&P,
    I believe you are thinking of a 450 and/or 4500. The 45 is a totally different design and it doesn't have a ram.
    You're right, I jumped to the 450 in my mind.

Boolit Mold
    Gotcha, RichardB.
    Looks like Maybe RCBS, since they have a round nose 230 gr. Are they ok?

Which does bring up a question, why do some do a flat nose 230 gr? Is there an advantage to that I may be unaware of?

I kind of like the nostalgic look of the round nose...

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Welcome aboard 1YLDKAT.

You'll find lots of help here on the site for almost whatever your doing in the casting or reloading fields. Sounds like you have the sense of humor one requires in this line of addiction.
    Its hard to go wrong with RCBS. They certainly do it right, from start to finish, but don't pass up on some of the other great mold makers that are here on the site and group buy offers, some great molds can be had here too.

Banned
    Gotcha, RichardB.
    Looks like Maybe RCBS, since they have a round nose 230 gr. Are they ok?

Which does bring up a question, why do some do a flat nose 230 gr? Is there an advantage to that I may be unaware of?

I kind of like the nostalgic look of the round nose...
    A flat nose bullet typically has better terminal performance compared to a round nose design. All else being equal, a flat point will be a better hunting/self defense bullet than a similar round nose.

Now, when dealing with semi-auto pistols you must make certain that the bullet profile will feed and function in your gun so the RN may still be your top pick.

I know you like the 230 gr bullet weight and that is a good bullet in the 45ACP but the 200 grain SWC is also an excellent bullet in 45 ACP. It is a favorite of target shooters and it's a decent all-around bullet. You give up a little mass but not much and in exchange for that you gain a little velocity and less recoil. I was a die hard fan of the 230 grain bullet for many years but after working with the 200 SWC I don't think I'll ever go back to the 230 RN.

Good morning's to boolits makerz!

Petrol and Powder, thank you for your post. I thought about just trying it and seeing if it would work ok for me. Also, I thought about sleeving the reservoir part, and honing the top piece to tighten, then oversizing those rods... the I thought, ill be mostly north of 75 bucks by the time that's done, why not just buy a pristine one, or (OMG, buy a 4500...gulp...) I could always make the 45 a museum piece... I likes me sum anteeks...
    I have a ladle, used to use it for top pour operations years ago, dad kep it fer me...
    I want to stick as close as possible to 230 grain round nose. I am duly afeered of the Lyman mold after reading horror stories, I looked at some others but they were in the 200 gr range, and I want 230 gr... almost thought of a full custom mold cuz I didn't like the Lyman casting small stories, and listed as a 225 grain. May still go that way, or check RCBS. I don't know enough to mind 2 cavity molds. Because of dad steering me, he sez I should stay away from brass an aloominum, and jes git de iron wunz... so there's that...

Thanks again Petrol and Powder!

Owejia, yeah, believe it or not we used to top pour out of an old aluminium pot, so I'm not surprised a stainless steel one will work. I was just looking for that old Time country feel and some nostalgia.. gotta do it with flair and panache... but if that sucker cost 3 bucks and the cast iron cost 15 bucks, ill be takin yer advice and headin home wif my muny and my shiny stainless pot...
    Thank you owejia!!

Oldhenry, does MP sell single or 2 cavity molds? I will look into this maker of excellent molds and see what's afoot there.
    Thank you oldhenry!

This site need a thank you buttonz...
    MP has a 2 cav. in brass only. It gives the option of 3 different types of HP or the non-HP …….all on the same mold. The price is about the same as RCBS (probably slightly less if you pay freight on the RCBS).

Boolit Master
    The Lyman molds I have bought new recently have been good.Actually I have been using Lyman molds since the late 50's and haven't had any problems.

Boolit Master

The last 2 Lyman Molds I bought 2 1/2 yrs were both undersized. Took two try's before they got the problem fixed.
    I've never had a single problem with a RCBS mold. But they are two Cavity. But if you know what you are doing you can cast great bullets from 3 or 4 2cav molds with a bit of practice and a good rythem. Gotta watch the temperature. I use 2 RCBS #45-201-KT (Now SWC) and 2 # 45-225-RN (Now 230gr) to cast from an old RCBS Pro-Melt with a 1st Generation N.O.E. Mold Shelf.
    A mold shelf or Guide makes casting a heck of a lot easier. I go thru 15lbs of lead in about 20min. Casting with four molds gives times for the sprues to set up, but not enough time for the molds to cool down.

My molds are pre-warmed on a hot plate which is then turned down to 300 degrees to heat up 1 or 2 lb lead alloy ingots.
    The molds are put back on the turned up hot plate with Bullets still in them to stay very warm while the pot comes back up to temp.

In this case I cast at about 715-725 degrees. And rarely have a frosted or wrinkled bullet.

Just one of my ways of casting.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Mold
    Roger that, guys. Got a line on some stuff from a fellow member here (vendor) Waiting to hear back from him. Older used Lyman stuff. We'll see how it pans out!

Boolit Master
    Don't dismiss aluminium molds out of hand. Have molds by NOE and Lee and they work as well as steel molds. Slightly different learning curve but have had no problems casting thousands of bullets with them, probably over 100K. One thing I like about Lee is you can get a 2 cavity for a bullet design you want to try and if it doesn't work you are not out the cost of a steel mold. Did this with the Lee double cavity 452-200 bevel base SWC and milled it down to a flat base for my 45ACP 1911. Worked like I wanted so then invested in the six cavity and milled it down as well. NOE molds are top of the line and their five cavity molds really pile up rifle bullets in a hurry.

Boolit Master

Ya know, this isn't the answer to the question that was asked, but why not skip the in-and-out sizer deal and go simpler with Powder Coating?

Boolit Master
    Yeah,a new Lyman Lubri sizer that isnt wibbly wobbly is likely a fake,same with one with the ram fitted tight.......or maybe some one mistakenly painted a RCBs one with thick grey paint splosh.........And you forgot to say the O rings they use in the lube piston are too big,and get forced out one side of their groove,so the piston goes cockeyed......The old brass ring piston is 1000% better,if you can find one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast