Reloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lyman 4500

Boolit Buddy

Lyman 4500

I have a Lyman 4500 and size a long 420 gr. .40/65 bullet. I have always had a problem with lube buildup on the base of the bullet and was told not to put so much pressure when lubing. I cannot lessen the pressure any more and still lube the grooves. I am using SPG lube and wish I did not have to spend so much time wiping off the bases.

Boolit Grand Master

Use less pressure and run it through twice. I believe I got that from Lyman CB manual #3(wouldn't that be strange their lubrasizer and giving directions to solve a problem), it worked where ever it came from.
    Last edited by swheeler; 06-24-2019 at 06:50 PM.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    I have drilled the push out rod through. A 3/16" drill would do. I also used a center drill on the top so only a small ring of steel touches the bullet base. . Any excess lube will go down the rod and out the bottom. I seen this done in a NRA cast bullet book. This plain works and will not effect any normal use of the sizer. Others will not like this but it has worked for me. It especially has been useful if using a thinner lube or a heater. The push out rods are not hard so drill out easily.
    n.h.schmidt

Quote Originally Posted by n.h.schmidt View Post
    I have drilled the push out rod through. A 3/16" drill would do. I also used a center drill on the top so only a small ring of steel touches the bullet base. . Any excess lube will go down the rod and out the bottom. I seen this done in a NRA cast bullet book. This plain works and will not effect any normal use of the sizer. Others will not like this but it has worked for me. It especially has been useful if using a thinner lube or a heater. The push out rods are not hard so drill out easily.
    n.h.schmidt
    I'd like to see a photo of that.

Don't you end up with a lot of wax going down that way? And wouldn't it still stick to the bullet base?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

I clean the end of the plunger by putting a small rod under it so I can raise it out of the die. Then I wipe it clean with a rag and remoil. After it's cleaned it doesn't let lube under the bullet as easily.

Boolit Buddy
    The lube dosn't hardly stick to the bullet base at all. They are usually good to go. You don't get as much lube going down as you would think. I mostly had problems when lubing bullets that needed little or no sizing and had little friction to hold them down on the rod. Man that lube would get under the bullets so easy.then I had a mess. To anyone who may try this. This is best done on a lathe. Any lathe will do as it's a easy job.
    n.h.schmidt

I've found just keeping good down pressure on the handle reduces lube on bases quite a bit too.

Boolit Buddy
    I use bamboo BBQ skewers to clean off the die when lube builds up. Works slick won't scratch and a lifetime supply is about a $buck.

If the boolit is cast slightly undersize the lube might pass by into the base of the die easier than it would flow into the grooves.

Boolit Buddy
    I used less pressure and rotated the bullet 1/8 before resizing it a second time and it was a lot better.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jednorris View Post
    I used less pressure and rotated the bullet 1/8 before resizing it a second time and it was a lot better.
    Probably rotated the bullet 180 degrees for second trip through the sizer, hey you read your Lyman manual!
    Charter Member #148