Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seller need to know their merchandise

Boolit Master

Seller need to know their merchandise

Was in a local gun show last weekend window-shopping some lever guns when I came across an old '94 in decent form. I asked the old feller if I can handle & check it out, but he replied, I can answer anything you need to know without handling it. OK, don't see anything special with it compared to other displays for him to avoid potential buyers to handle, but I politely asked what caliber & he replied its an old cartridge 30WCF stenciled in the barrel, they don't make those anymore...You mean 30-30? I asked, he said rudely no! there weren't any 30-30s back in those days, its a 30 Winchester Center Fire!...I decided to bite my lips & walk...
    maybe he's having a bad day or wasn't hug much in childhood...
    the difference between genius & stupidity is that the latter is limitless...smh

People like him are why I don't go to gun shows anymore.

Boolit Buddy
    May the gun gods forgive me for running 30-30 ammo thru my 30 WCF marked Winchester 94!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Boolit Master

Was it priced as unobtanium or as a relic for which ammunition is no longer available?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by William Yanda View Post
    Was it priced as unobtanium or as a relic for which ammunition is no longer available?
    It was post-64 so wasn't interested anyways, but I left smh & so are the folks browsing at his other stuff...
    Half of my interest in going to gunshows are conversations made with people who share my passion...

This happens to me all the time. Sellers see that im young and try to pass me false info or try to make me believe random stuff.
    I asked a seller to see a winchester 1886 ( i own the same one) and he just looked at me and said "no." Because im young, they assume I dont have alot of money. They aren't wrong but if I want something il buy it...
    One time everyone was just starinig me down because I smacked 3000$ down on a table for a winchester 1873. For them: Young=No money.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    This happens to me all the time. Sellers see that im young and try to pass me false info or try to make me believe random stuff.
    I asked a seller to see a winchester 1886 ( i own the same one) and he just looked at me and said "no." Because im young, they assume I dont have alot of money. They aren't wrong but if I want something il buy it...
    One time everyone was just starinig me down because I smacked 3000$ down on a table for a winchester 1873. For them: Young=No money.
    That failed intimidation and lack of respect brought back memories of when I started going to gun shows as well.

The thing was, I had/have a good memory for faces. I never stopped/stop at their tables again, even with a wad of cash on me. And as you know, some of these vendors sell for decades. Just think of the other potential gun addicts they have chased away over the years. Just like throwing money away.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Banned
    When it comes to firearms some of the most ignorant people I've encountered are the ones selling the guns.

Moderator Emeritus

I was at a show maybe three years (?) back, where a seller had a Model 8 Remington in quite used, but not abused shape, priced at the upper limits of what I felt it was worth. I made a note of it, this on Saturday morning, without even making an offer. A friend rang that evening, asking me if I wanted to go with him on Sunday afternoon, so I said, OK -- maybe that Model 8's still there, and seller may very well drop the price a tad, rather than pack and take it back the 230 miles from whence he came. "No! the tag is exactly what I have in it -- but I'll tell you what -- I'll throw in a couple of boxes of ammo if you buy it, and I will pay the sales tax if you pay in cash money." The wheels were starting to turn when he put two yellow boxes of .30-30 Winchester ammo on the table next to it. From me, "Uh...sir...this firearm is chambered for '.30-30 Remington' -- A RIMLESS VERSION of the Winchester .30-30". "Yes -- you're right, he countered -- see, the ammo here is made by Remington for it."
    I kind of chuckled to myself.... I wonder if he still has it? Bion, he represented a fairly huge shop in a city...
    geo

Boolit Bub
    One of todays challenges when looking at older firearms. The new crowd - well if not black and plastic looking don't really care to learn about these products. Of course a good can be had once in while as a result.

Boolit Grand Master

I figured a post 64 would be marked 30-30
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    That's about where I'm at.

We've always heard that the line between a genius and a idiot is very small.
    I've never found that to be true.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Good question, wasn't able to closely look at the barrel markings. May have been a pre-64 if S/N was below 1,800,000, but who knows if I missed a rare chance.
    For what I recall, Marlin started using 30-30 in their 93s to match BP naming convention & to delineate from rival Winchester...so not really sure when Winchester started using the popular 30-30 term.
    A guru here may chime in...

Boolit Grand Master

I almost think I remember my mothers 1952 M94 was marked 30-30, not postive but pretty darn sure it was?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I had the same thoughts, so I opened up the safe to look at my 30-30's. One was built in 1898 and is marked 30 WCF. The other was built in 1967 and is marked 30-30 Win. Not sure when Winchester dropped the WCF designation, but sometime in the 69 years between my rifles.
    Last edited by jimlj; 06-27-2019 at 01:07 AM.

Some people couldn’t sell life rafts in a flood.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    I had the same thoughts, so I opened up the safe to look at my 30-30's. One was built in 1898 and is marked 30 WCF. The other was built in 1967 and is marked 30-30 Win. Not sure when Winchester dropped the WCF designation, but sometime in the 99 years between my rifles.
    To my understanding, in 1906 Remington Arms came out with a rim-less version (so to speak) of the .30WCF -- introduced a decade earlier -- for their Model 8, 14, and other firearms of their manufacture, with designation as ".30-30 REM" / "30-30 Remington" -- photo attached. Too often troubles betwixt this and the Winchester version Click image for larger version. 

Name:	30 REM.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	244110, the .30WCF became called/referred to/known as the "30-30 Winchester" -- again, primarily to differentiate it from its Remington counterpart. The .30 Rem pretty much faded into oblivion, while the "30-30 Winchester" and/or, just, "30-30" with Winchester assumed and or implied. So prevalent, and, I believe to keep pace with other manufacturers using the "30-30 Win" markings, the .30WCF markings were replaced.

George- that pic is not a .30 Remington Rimless. It closely resembles a rimless 30-30 Winchester.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    If i can't pick it up and look for myself i don't need to know anything i just walk away. I understand running into a youngster in a gun store might not know much he's starting out. But when its an old fellow especially at a gun show well thats just stupidity. Although after asking the caliber i might have had to mess with him just a bit. You know can you still get ammo reloading supplies. How does this caliber compare to say the 30/30. I probably just couldn't help myself.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Was in a local gun show last weekend window-shopping some lever guns when I came across an old '94 in decent form. I asked the old feller if I can handle & check it out, but he replied, I can answer anything you need to know without handling it. OK, don't see anything special with it compared to other displays for him to avoid potential buyers to handle, but I politely asked what caliber & he replied its an old cartridge 30WCF stenciled in the barrel, they don't make those anymore...You mean 30-30? I asked, he said rudely no! there weren't any 30-30s back in those days, its a 30 Winchester Center Fire!...I decided to bite my lips & walk...
    maybe he's having a bad day or wasn't hug much in childhood...
    He was just suffering from an attack of the screaming stoopids ! At his age it is probably terminal ...
    No cure , so sad .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast