Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Basic BP (goex) vs Swiss

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Basic BP (goex) vs Swiss

I was told by a member at my club, who has been shooting and competing with a smooth bore for twenty years, that Swiss is better for rifled guns, but makes no difference with smooth bore. Can I get some comments about what other think?

Thanks

Boolit Master
    I'd agree with that.

Banned
    Yeah after buying a little over 4lbs of 3fg swiss, I can tell you, the 3fg SUCKS. I get zero acceptable accuracy, especially at 100 yards. I've tried it in 2 50 calibers and a 45 today, results just flat out suck. I was told theres a problem with the new 3fg swiss, but the 2fg is ok.

Me, when im out, I'll stick with goex.

Frontiermuzzloading, do you mean standard goex or as in goex old eynsford? I prefer the OE over standard goex...its definitely worth the 2-3 bux extra. Although i prefer to use my homemade powder as its very clean and gives me a little more speed than swiss and i get consistent velocities and precision.....but when it comes to buying black powder i go for the goex old eynsford. In my opinion its the best on the market.

Banned
    Regular goex. Olde Eynsford was super nice, but I'd have to order it. Just stick with the simple stuff, it does the same job during a hunt.

Banned

i use swiss 3f for all muzzleloaders, from .32 to .62 and it "works" quite well for me and my rifled and smoothbore guns - it is more "potent" than 3f goex, is about par with goex olde eynsford, and burns cleaner with less fouling. for me, it's worth the extra cost. dittos for the swiss 1-1/2f i use for cartridge rifles.

Boolit Buddy
    Standard Goex, accuracy was ok. Switched to Old E, a Goex product, accuracy greatly improved. Working with Swiss at the moment, accuracy seems to be a tad better than OE. I shoot North South Skirmish Association matches and fouling can be an issue as we shoot minies with no wiping. The lower fouling with Swiss is making me favor it over OE for that reason.

In Smoothbore, OE far out paces standard Goex. My group sizes dropped by over half when switching to OE. Haven't tried Swiss in it yet.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor