MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox RotoMetals2

Thread: large throat in krags

Boolit Master

large throat in krags

i have 3 krags. all have very good bores; but very large throats (.320, .325 and .340) any sugestions about using a particular bullet type? tight fitting nose? ect. ect.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    It sounds like you are going to need three different molds, or try to size down the largest diameter to work for all. A heavy for caliber Loverin will work well nearly every time. I like to take a fired case, and find a size of bullet that slips inside the neck with slight resistance. That generally fills the throat properly.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    i don't think that a mold (molds) that cast to the throat sizes that are that large (.340, .325, and .320) in a 30 cal bbl. (.309-.310) is a very good idea; or am i wrong?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    i don't think that a mold (molds) that cast to the throat sizes that are that large (.340, .325, and .320) in a 30 cal bbl. (.309-.310) is a very good idea; or am i wrong?
    You need to fit your bullet to the throat. Try asking on the wanted section, you can probably find some samples to try.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

If those numbers are correct(.340, .325, and .320 these sound like 8mm, the .340 maybe neck dia of loaded krag round???) you are not going to come close to filling the throat, ever. You will be limited by chamber neck diameter and somewhere around .313" is going to be the biggest bullet you can chamber, a loaded round OD neck diameter of .338. I have tried chambering .314" sized bullets in Win brass and they have resistance closing, you can see rub marks on the neck showing the lube grooves in the bullet, I pulled the sample to be safe. I shot 50 314/299 sized to .313" yesterday, best fit I can get in my 98.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    I doubt you will be able to chamber anything much over .313", you could neck turn and possibly use .314" but with throats that large not much help.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Bub
    You might want to try some breech seating of a sample of larger bullets. Plug a case and use it to seat the bullet. See what accuracy you can get from these with lead bullets in the 1300-1600 FPS. The problem as already pointed out is the over size bullet may not fit the chamber and not allow the bolt to close. I used a 316-202-RN from NOE on a 95 Sporter Mauser with a similar challenge with good luck. Loading

Ignore those throat measurements,
    and use the SAECO 301

Boolit Master
    over the years I have owned shot and loaded for over 25 krags . never checked a throat. had them all shoot good. I use the lyman 311299 sized to .309. I use the same bullet sized .311 in .303 enfields.

Boolit Master
    I'm sure there are exceptions, but I've found most Krags shoot very well with a .311" bullet. I have no idea what any throats measured, but they apparently were compatible with .311" bullets.

Boolit Master
    Are you sure about those throat diameters? Those are absurd diameters even for loosey-goosey Krags.

Boolit Master
    yes, i'm sure. took pound cast's of 17 rifles; they all fall within normal parameters, except the krags.

Boolit Grand Master

Don't worry about those WAY oversized throats. That "size bullets to the throat dia" has become the generic answer to all questions of cast bullet diameters, no common sense mixed in with the reply. You did a pound cast of the throat /neck, size bullets to give you a loaded round outside neck diameter that will chamber with minimal clearance, .001" or less, load your ammo as concentric as possible, and if you are ss it using the magazine cut off load as long as you can try and get land engraving hope for the best. I can touch lands at 3.140" with 314/299 and it's .303+ nose but have feed issues, I back off .050 to 3.090" and they feed and shoot great. You have some experimenting in your future, enjoy it!
    Charter Member #148