Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waste of Time Yard Sale This Morning

Boolit Master

Waste of Time Yard Sale This Morning

Yesterday a buddy sent me a link to a yard sale listed on Craigslist. Among the "stuff" listed was a "20 ga. shotgun loader and wads" and "swaging dies & punches". Needless to say I perked up and made plans to be there at opening time this morning.

Found the right table and sure enough there was a sorry looking MEC 600 Jr Mk (Something) and several boxes from Corbin. No prices on any of it so I looked it over and pretty much lost all interest.

Quite a lot of Corbin parts, most of it with some degree of rust. Only thing I think might have been complete was a die set for making jackets from 22 brass. I have no interest in getting into swaging so lost interest in that right away.

I have two MEC presses right now, a 650 that does all my 12 ga. target loads, and a 600 Jr. that gets swapped between 12 (field loads), 20 & 16 ga. duties. So I'm always on the lookout for another 600 Jr. to cut down on how often I have to change them over.

The press they had was coated with rust & dirt, had many parts missing, some in a bag sitting with it but a lot that I just couldn't find so had to assume were missing. In addition it is enough newer (plastic crimp die) that I wasn't sure I could use my existing conversion kits on it. There were two bags of wads sitting with it, maybe 100 pcs between both bags.

All that brought me to the conclusion that if I couldn't just about steal it it wasn't worth having. Off I went in search of someone who I could make an offer to. Finally found the right guy, first impression was kind of an obnoxious sort. I asked what he wanted and he grunted back "What's it worth to ya?"

So I offered him $10, all it was worth to me.

He countered with "$15 and I'll throw in the two bags of wads."

The rest was easy, "Nope"
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Master
    I had two MEC reloaders, both 12 gauge. One missing one of the shot or powder jugs, I don't remember which. Otherwise both were good to go. I thought I was going to have to give them away. I finally sold both for $10 or $15. I don't remember that either. I later saw two at a gun show and asked the dealer how long he had been trying to sell them, he said, along time.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by GOPHER SLAYER View Post
    One missing one of the shot or powder jugs,.
    I had a couple of them. They were so old the plastic jugs fell apart.
    Being too tight to buy new ones, I found out soda pop bottles had the same thread pattern and used them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Part of a reloader's estate I purchased was a 700 VERSA MEC loader and 10's of thousands of individual parts and pieces (12 ga -, 20 ga -, 28 ga -, - hulls, wads, primers, 25# bags of lead shot, etc., the WORKS) for making shotgun shells. What to do with it? I don't load shot shells.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 06-17-2019 at 06:04 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I just did the same with a box of Ideal shotshell reloaders....very old. Bunch of tools like a crimper, a paper shell trimmer, adjustable powder and shot cups,and a bunch of other stuff that I have no idea what it is.....hey, for $20 it HAD to be worth that.
    My plan is to research what all of it is, the sell it as a batch someday.
    The fun of researching and identifying what all this stuff is, and learning about early Ideal Shotshell reloaders will be worth it.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I did good at a yard sale this weekend. Got a Ruger Blackhawk .357 mag in pristine condition for $350. My buddy won the prize, though, he got an old Remington Model 11 with shells, for $25.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Moderator Emeritus

I have never come across a yard sale selling anything firearm related. Could be because I was living in NJ most of the time. Only been here 2 1/2 years but haven't seen any decent sales yet. Just household stuff. I keep looking for a decent priced MEC 410 reloader. Folks on eBay seem to think used and rusty means full retail. Seen some go for more than new.

Banned
    Nothing wrong with making an offer and walking away.

Banned

The little town we live by had their annual city-wide yard sale last weekend. I went up to one and saw two sets of dies and some bags of brass. Good set of RCBS .222 dies and a set of old Pacific Durachrome dies in 7x57, exactly the same sets I already have for both calibers. Didn't really want any of the brass, but did leave with a new in the box Lee priming tool, the older one with the round tray, and a bag of .45 caliber fiber wads for loading BPCR. The two young women running it didn't know anything about it, but they went and got grandpa and I asked if he had any other stuff, said he hadn't gotten anything else out. Sounded like he'd been out of it a while. I may check back with them sometime to see if he is getting rid of anything else.

I don't yard sale much anymore, but all the little towns around here have a city-wide one once a year and it's kind of fun. I usually find a few little bits and pieces of gun stuff here and there. It's getting to the point where there really isn't much reloading stuff I can use that I don't already have.

Last deal I found at a yard sale was a MEC JR 12 gauge, pound of Unique (Alliant round paper canister style), 7.5 shot (25lb), and wads for $20. Still have not used it as shot shells are so cheap.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master

A batter doesn't hit a home run every time he steps up to the plate . You struck out this time
    but ...next time ... could be a homer !
    I've been to many a yard sale and flea market over the years , only once did I homer ... Lyman AA turret press , 38 special and 357 magnum loading dies , 30-06 dies , several shell holders Lyman 55 powder measure , primers , large and small primer pocket reaming tools , case deburring tool and a case trimmer , a big bucket of brass , all for $75.00 .
    Am I going to keep haunting the sales and markets....you Betcha , hit one home run...might do it again...but you have to keep batting !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by slim1836 View Post
    Last deal I found at a yard sale was a MEC JR 12 gauge, pound of Unique (Alliant round paper canister style), 7.5 shot (25lb), and wads for $20. Still have not used it as shot shells are so cheap.

Slim
    I've accumulated a fair amount of shotshell reloading stuff, even though I don't do it much. I did get into 16 gauge and have three 16s now, that guage pays to reload for. Shells are available in town, but about all you can find is #8s and they cost twice what 20s or 12s do.

I also never want to be in a situation where I can't get ammo for something like the rimfire scare a few years ago, so having the stuff around to reload for shotguns is prudent, you just never know.

Banned

The only place I ever was that it was fairly common to find reloading and gun stuff at yard sales was Alaska. I went to a few that were almost mini gun shows.

I am on the Board of Major Waldron Sportsman's Association (https://majorwaldron.com/) and we are talking about a "Shooting Sports Yard Sale". No firearms (just to keep the locals happy) but everything else is for sale.
    They had one a few years back and it was really successful. A change in the BOD and now it may come back!
    I am all for it!
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Don't give up.

Women used to say,
    "Sometimes you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find a prince".
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    A batter doesn't hit a home run every time he steps up to the plate . You struck out this time
    but ...next time ... could be a homer !
    Oh, I'm not about to quit looking. There a young couple in this area doing "Estate Tag Sales" I scored big at one maybe 3 years ago. MEC 650 with 7# of 452AA, 900 CCI 209 Trap & Skeet primers, several boxes of reloaded trap loads, and a bunch of other "stuff". Walked away with the whole lot for $52, and the satisfaction that I pulled the tag off as another buyer, who had pompous jerk written all over him was thinking about it.

In among the "stuff" were two mesh shooting vests, neither of which fit me. One got added to the guest equipment at the club. The other one had a name in it. I went to school with three of the kids and was teaching a weekly shotgun class with the baby of the family. Turns out the name was his Father. I gave it to him and that made the whole deal even sweeter.

I've learned enough in my maturity to not worry about the ones that get away. Like buses there will be another one come along.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I have not got bitten by the yard sale bug? Theres just not much that I need, or want. I have all of the reloading equipment that I need and all of the tools. I probably would only be looking for lead or pewter items and I have more of that than I need. I could use a little more fishing gear.

Boolit Master

Man, if the Corbin stuff was cheap, buy it , take pics and post here, you'll make some more yard sale money !

Boolit Master

Not a yard sale, but a thrift shop, as I was walking out with a $.99 pewter vase I saw a couple of kitchen knives NIP for the same price, $.99 each. I just mailed one that sold for $45 on the electronic auction site. As they say about the blind hog and the acorn.

Edit to add: I learned about quality kitchen knives on this forum. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by William Yanda; 06-20-2019 at 08:33 PM.
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Master

Thrift Shops are donated every item, new and old. They don't price them for either wholesale or retail. They make a tiny profit on every gift and make it up in many thousands of gifts. Pewter is often found this way.

The church thrift received an organ. It is beautiful and fully functional. The sanctuary does not need another one and besides its panel lights up like a Christmas Tree when turned on so it would be a nuisance during the service. The Deacon priced it at $200.00. My Spousal Unit, the Church Music Director, looked at it and said to him, "I will write you a $200.00 check right now for that organ, immediate put it on eBay and Craig's List for $2,000.00, and STILL leave money on the table for the purchaser!" The folks that price these things in thrifts just don't know and are pushing donations out the door for mere pennies on the dollar mostly.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast