WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: F vs FF

Boolit Grand Master

I too went to just a hard card wad for my flinter years ago. The vent hole gives enough cushion. I string my wads on a length of string from the strap of the bag as the pin hole seems to make no difference but in make the holes off center so the two over powder don't vent any gas and the over shot with the hole doesn't want to pop back from air pressure.

I do have a percussion 12 bore that patterns better with a cushion wad but I glue the hard card to the cushion and then lube the cushion section.

Boolit Master
    Good info here. Thanks!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Two cards over powder, one over shot. Go to Walmart and get some poster stock. It's about 1/16". One sheet will keep you shooting a long time. #11 Osbourne punch for 20 bore.
    Really, you use two overshot cards above powder, pour in shot, and one more overshot card to hold it in place? And this shoots good?

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Really, you use two overshot cards above powder, pour in shot, and one more overshot card to hold it in place? And this shoots good?
    That's what I use also, except with corrugated cardboard. It patterns way better for me than all the different wads you're supposed to use. Plus it's simple and cheap.

Boolit Master
    Great you guys give great info, I need to pull that gun from the cob webs. I have not shot it in years because of the patterns I got.

Fly

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Read the sticky in this section on muzzle loading shotguns. Old Vic knew his stuff.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

Boolit Bub
    I've read it. He speaks specifically if not using 3F in shotgun over 28GA. Is this info still correct or no?

Banned

i've used 1f, 2f, and 3f, and my guns and i prefer 3f.

as with anyone's qualified firearm recommendations, they're at least starting points for your own testing.

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texasgunnut View Post
    I've read it. He speaks specifically if not using 3F in shotgun over 28GA. Is this info still correct or no?
    Vic thought that the slower acceleration of the shot with courser granulations was better. I tried all granulations, and found by altering the load that the same results could be achieved.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    What 12 gauge load & shot for quail, doves did you settle on?

Fly

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Vic thought that the slower acceleration of the shot with courser granulations was better. I tried all granulations, and found by altering the load that the same results could be achieved.
    same here for using 3f in shot loads. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	89 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	244494

Boolit Bub
    Awesome ty. Should I lube the over powder cards? Also 20 gauge is what a 5/8 punch?

Again ty guys for all the answers.
    Last edited by Texasgunnut; 07-01-2019 at 06:03 PM.

Boolit Master

Been working for me since 1971, close to 50 years. Note I never fired Pyrodex or any BP sub. BP is not hard to get. It costs money that is all.

When shooting thrown clays I will use a lubed 3/8" wad to keep the bore lubed or wet what ever you call it can shoot 50-100 that way with no cleaning. Never when hunting.

I like 1f for shot guns it shoots easy and patterns well. Cannon powder it is not!

Quote Originally Posted by Texasgunnut View Post
    Awesome ty. Should I lube the over powder cards? Also 20 gauge is what a 5/8 punch?

Again ty guys for all the answers.
    No need to lube the cards. Punch size is #11 Osbourne.

Boolit Grand Master

If it is warm enough just spit on the shot when you load. Just remember WHEN to spit, powder doesn't like it!

Boolit Bub
    Again thank you gentlemen for all the help.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12