RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingWideners
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Kudo,s to Lyman!!

Boolit Buddy

Kudo,s to Lyman!!

I recently bent the threaded rod that is part of the expander ball assembly in my trusty 6.5x55 Swede Mauser neck sizing die. This die has been my "go-to" for a lot of 6.5 Swede reloading for my favorite Model 96, circa 1919. I called Lyman and was greeted by a friendly lady who really knew what she was talking about and she quickly got me set up with some new parts for my die. When I asked how much I owed and if I could pay for the items over the phone, she said there was absolutely no charge and thanked me for buying Lyman products. Wow! Now that is service!

I received an entire internal assembly in just a few days from Lyman and my old,trusty neck sizing die was good to go and I could, once again, load ammo for my Model 96 for the next CMP high power match.

I know that Lyman sometimes gets a bad rap on this forum, but I have bought quite a few items from them over the years with no problems and I think they should be commended more often when they do get it it right and for stellar customer service. Thank you Lyman!

Vendor Sponsor

Hoping that maybe they are seeing all the bad rap and adjusting their policies.
    Need to hear this a few more times before i could ever think of buying lyman again
    But kudos this time
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Moderator Emeritus

I am ever so happy to read your post! Bion, for the past several years I have directed quite a bit of cash to RCBS, solely based upon RCBS's 5-star customer support. I had had a "problem" with a Lyman product, and -- truthfully embarrassed I do not remember what it was -- the person (it was a male) offered no help/support at all. I do recall he was a tad on the rude side, too.
    At the time, I actually had one of the new PID equipped Lyman pots on back-order with Buffalo Arms. I was so unhappy re Lyman NO-support, I rang Buffalo Arms, canceled the order, and instead bought a RCBS Pro-Melt.

I never voiced "a bad rap" -- I reckon "my money -- MY choice who gets it" -- at least with recreational wants. Based upon your testimony -- I may just be looking at Lyman products again. So happy, re customer support -- that they may have seen the light!

Thanks!
    geo

Boolit Master
    I was well treated a month or so ago with a similar problem , I was very pleased with the service .

The central shaft on my 50 year old RCBS lubsizer broke as I was trying to dispense hard lube through the sizing die. Contacted RCBS to see if they may have a replacement (given this model has not been manufactured for almost 30 years) or advise me the thread size so I could have one made

To my great suprise they advised that they would send me the part "under warranty". Now that is customer service!
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwalker View Post
    I recently bent the threaded rod that is part of the expander ball assembly in my trusty 6.5x55 Swede Mauser neck sizing die. This die has been my "go-to" for a lot of 6.5 Swede reloading for my favorite Model 96, circa 1919. I called Lyman and was greeted by a friendly lady who really knew what she was talking about and she quickly got me set up with some new parts for my die. When I asked how much I owed and if I could pay for the items over the phone, she said there was absolutely no charge and thanked me for buying Lyman products. Wow! Now that is service!

I received an entire internal assembly in just a few days from Lyman and my old,trusty neck sizing die was good to go and I could, once again, load ammo for my Model 96 for the next CMP high power match.

I know that Lyman sometimes gets a bad rap on this forum, but I have bought quite a few items from them over the years with no problems and I think they should be commended more often when they do get it it right and for stellar customer service. Thank you Lyman!
    I'm glad they replaced it for you, 15 years ago they didn't for me, the RCBS dies I replaced them with haven't needed replacement parts yet, but when they do I know they are covered under their lifetime warranty, that's a good feeling.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Glad to hear they had good service for you. Several years ago i had a lyman 1200 tumbler that the motor messed up on. I sent it back to them and they called me and told me it was not warranted. They wanted to sell me another. I told them to just send mine back to me as i could get another from somewhere else cheaper than they wanted. I bought one from Midway and then about 3-4 weeks later received a box from Lyman. When i opened it there was a brand new 1200 tumbler in it. Yahoo

My LGS had an old Lyman tumbler that I found and REALLY love. It still works fine and is almost silent.

Boolit Buddy
    OTOH, I've had very mediocre support from RCBS and had a few lemons from them over the years.
    Lyman has been very good to me.
    Back in the eighties, I traded for a Lyman 225415 that was used. It threw bullets that were 8 thou out of round.
    With nothing to lose but postage, I mailed it back to Lyman and they sent me a replacement that was a real gem.
    It threw its bullets that were only 1/2 thou out of round.

Also, as us old fossils will remember, prior to GCA-68, Lyman was about the only game in town when it came to bullet casting gear and with a wide selection.
    Jacketed bullets, what a relic. A throwback to the twentieth century. Real men shoot cast.

A lifetime of happiness in five simple steps:
    Kiss French, ride German, shoot Swiss, eat Italian, drink Scotch.

Boolit Master
    That's the first good report of Lyman customer service I can ever recall seeing.

I've spent a lot of money on Lee, Redding, and mostly RCBS. Even have some Hornady dies. I suppose they all have their qualities, I love the Hornady lock rings and expander plugs. The Lyman products that I have are a few bullet molds and a bullet sizer or two.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned

My one and only interaction with Lyman's customer service was about 20 years ago when I stupidly broke the handle assembly on a 450. Called and asked to order a new assembly and the lady was courteous and explained I couldn't get that one any more, but the new set up essentially made a 450 a 4500 and I ordered the parts. They weren't free, but I thought they were reasonable. They came pretty quickly and installed easily and it is a better handle system. So it was OK.

I've had to call RCBS maybe three times for little bits and pieces for dies over the years and have always been very impressed. They are simply a good company who makes good stuff and stands behind it in my experience.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes people resent sending back a defective part in order to receive a replacement. Many complain about paying postage. This observation applies to people in general and is not aimed at anyone here. I applaud supreme customer service like that from RCBS and Dillon and Henry. I think that this level of customer service is built into the price of the products.