RepackboxLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New pocket gun

Nice pocket revolver. IMHO the J frame is best choice for a pocket gun. I know the conventional wisdom is "no SA capability" for fighting revolvers. I don't care. I want it on mine and thats why I carry a Model 649.

Banned

an internal hammer defensive snubby means no firing issues if triggered while in a pocket. with the right trigger control a snubby can be set to a faux S/A condition, if need be for range plinking (but ... why?) - this should not be employed during a life-or-death confrontation, where D/A rules. there is also the matter of the risky option of a cocked hammer in a self defense situation. D/A in 9-12lbs is simply safer than that cocked hammer at 3-4lbs, where the external hammer can become a litigious matter after the perp has been wounded or killed. think about it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    an internal hammer defensive snubby means no firing issues if triggered while in a pocket. with the right trigger control a snubby can be set to a faux S/A condition, if need be for range plinking (but ... why?) - this should not be employed during a life-or-death confrontation, where D/A rules.

there is also the matter of the risky option of a cocked hammer in a self defense situation. D/A in 9-12lbs is simply safer than that cocked hammer at 3-4lbs, where the external hammer can become a litigious matter after the perp has been wounded or killed. think about it.
    This kinda rules out Sigs , HKs , CZ 75s ,1911s ,XDMs,Some Glocks ,M&Ps ,Walthers , Berettas and about any thing I have . I could still cary my LCR but not my sig 290 it has a hammer..
    You can’t be serious..

Banned

dead serious. revolver - not pistol.

Boolit Grand Master

Just get a Smith Model 38 with the shrouded hammer if you insist on thumb cocking! If you learn proper d/a shooting you can stage the trigger and do just as good a moderate range.

Banned
    A snubnose revolver is a self-defense tool. It is NOT a target gun (although they can be quite accurate, even in DAO !)
    It is NOT a hunting gun.
    It is generally not a competition gun.

It is a fighting gun !

There is NEVER a need for single action capability in a snubnose DA revolver and a hammer spur is a downright impediment on that type of tool.

The DA pull does not hinder the practical accuracy of that tool. In fact, if you can't shoot the gun in DA, you need to practice more.

This is the real world not the movies. You're not Arnold Schwarzenegger's character in "True Lies" and you're not going to shoot the bad guy in the head from 20 yards away while he holds your wife hostage at gun point.

Banned
    And just to reinforce that fantasy :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roqpsfU_EuA

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I guess it depends on the definition of “proficient “. I have no problem shooting hand size groups da at short combat ranges 30’ and under with a snubbie or pocket size da only autos , not exceptional by any means but adequate and I practice that way when they get range time .
    I have also taken quite a bit of small game with pocket pistols because that was what I had in my pocket . For small targets or longer ranges I want the “crutch” I rarely carry pocket guns I do better with a bigger “crutch”, all my carry guns are da and or da/sa autos and revolvers I practice both ways.
    Attachment 244124

DA target at 7 yards. All about trigger control.

Practice on a 12-inch gong standing, DA at 50 yards with your snubby after 25 yards gets boring.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-25-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

A few years ago the wife of a friend of mine, was staying alone , when she heard a noise at night (or thought she did) . She cocked the ( borrowed) revolver she had. The disturbance proved to be nothing, and she was left with a cocked revolver, at zero dark thirty, her half asleep, and scared. She did solve the problem, but it was a bad situation, that was preventable.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    This kinda rules out Sigs , HKs , CZ 75s ,1911s ,XDMs,Some Glocks ,M&Ps ,Walthers , Berettas and about any thing I have . I could still cary my LCR but not my sig 290 it has a hammer..
    You can’t be serious..
    My thinking exactly. What's the difference? I am not going to use S.A. in a self defense situation but it sure comes in handy for pest control.

Boolit Master

Given that likely millions of pocket size revolvers have exposed hammers, I think that stating they are unwanted, unnecessarry or unsafe can (in CERTAIN situations) be true. But it looks to me like an awful lot of folks like them just the same. That's why I love this country, no matter what some folks try to tell us we need or don't need, we can choose for ourselves, and have a civil discussion about it. I have both, carry both, enjoy both and (oh boy) use a lot of them as a range toy's. See? Choices are good. I really don't think anyone should try to decide what I should or should not carry, except me.

Boolit Master
    I have a variety of hand guns all shapes and sizes because I think they are interesting and I enjoy loading and shooting paper and I hunted a lot in my past. I also would like to be prepared to defend my family and myself . The odds are I won’t need to ever , I hope.
    I have been shooting more than 50 years bought my first 45 when I was 16 I know how to stage a trigger I choose not to . My defensive training with revolver is all da , But most of my shooting is for FUN and if I want a gun with a hammer I will buy it and have fun with it.
    To use some poor scared woman with no training as an example of why a hammer is bad is silly.
    To quote Elmer Keith “You can’t make a gun foolproof fools need to stay away from dangerous equipment”. (Not calling the woman a fool but ignorant of proper gun handling)
    If you have a snubbie for a backup gun and that’s the only reason you have it then I might agree that there is no reason to have a hammer. If you use the gun as a primary or fun gun single action has all the same advantages as any other size gun.
    Ain’t it great to have choices.
    Last edited by onelight; 06-25-2019 at 05:09 PM.

Boolit Master

Well made it to the range had a lot of fun put around 150 or so rounds down range and not 1 FTF or FTE load was 3,5gr of Bullseye
    under my 358477 boolit this is 20 rounds at 10 yards not as good as my 1911 but I think it work's pretty good for it's size and our second time out Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190625_162157_resized.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	244130
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    Well made it to the range had a lot of fun put around 150 or so rounds down range and not 1 FTF or FTE load was 3,5gr of Bullseye
    under my 358477 boolit this is 20 rounds at 10 yards not as good as my 1911 but I think it work's pretty good for it's size and our second time out Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190625_162157_resized.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	244130

That's GREAT !

Glad you're happy with your new gun.

That's a fantastic tool and should serve you well.

Boolit Master

yes vary happy with it I got it used but I don't think it was ever fired $330 out the Door Ya I'm Happy

Boolit Master

yes vary happy with it I got it used but I don't think it was ever fired $330 out the Door Ya I'm Happy
    I did put the new Hogue grips on so $380

Boolit Master
    That looks like fun ! Good job.
    You northern Illinois boys got class your grips match your target.

Banned
    Outstanding !

Boolit Grand Master

I have a couple of pocket auto's but either my 36 or 642 find their way into my pocket when I leave the house.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Well, I for one liked to have the hammer on my SP101 (.357). Why? It was my 'outdoors' pistol. It went with me fishing, hiking, just about anytime I went out in the field. I liked the ability to hit smaller targets out beyond 50 yd when in SA mode.

It was normally carried in a shoulder holster or pancake holster. Neither of which were hampered by a hammer.

I've never liked pocket carry unless it was a jacket with a custom pocket.

So, YES, there are some of us who like a snubby with a hammer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast