RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New pocket gun

Boolit Master

New pocket gun

Just thought I would post a pick of my new pocket gun so far I like it a lot went to my range just shooting at steel and water bottles just fun plinking with it will put on paper next week when I get some time anyway here she is
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190623_113604_resized.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	244029 S&W 637
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Behind enemy walls where the libertards run amok
    Nice smitty. How is the trigger?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

The trigger was the selling point vary smooth in my search for a pocket gun the trigger on this one was the best and I looked at a lot

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Looks very nice. I tried a couple other brands and came back to sw.

Boolit Master

Can you pinch the hammer and cock it for single action?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Can you pinch the hammer and cock it for single action?
    No not at all nothing there to grab

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by silvercreek farmer View Post
    can you pinch the hammer and cock it for single action?
    why on earth would you want to do that even if it had an exposed hammer ?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    why on earth would you want to do that even if it had an exposed hammer ?
    I was going to ask the same question!

The very reason why competent gunsmiths who "bob" hammers also convert the gun to DAO to prevent people from doing this!

Reason I don't work retail. Too many people walking in are "too stupid to own guns..."
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I was going to ask the same question!

The very reason why competent gunsmiths who "bob" hammers also convert the gun to DAO to prevent people from doing this!

Reason I don't work retail. Too many people walking in are "too stupid to own guns..."
    Easy now! My thought was a no snag pocket gun that could be cocked for a more precise single shot on some occasional small game. I guess what I would be looking for would be a shrouded hammer such as this: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-649 Just think they are ugly, and the shroud adds extra weight and bulk.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Easy now! My thought was a no snag pocket gun that could be cocked for a more precise single shot on some occasional small game. I guess what I would be looking for would be a shrouded hammer such as this: https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-649 Just think they are ugly, and the shroud adds extra weight and bulk.
    Precise DA shooting is entirely possible at small game ranges and is safer than trying to thumb-cock a bobbed hammer. It's basic competency.

I've seen too many NDs with people attempting this stunt to condone the practice of doing otherwise.

Sorry for any ruffled feathers, but if you want to shoot SA, then don't bob the hammer.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Banned

very nice little snubbie ya got LD13, congrats.

to external hammer or not? if the revolver is for self defense/ccw, an external hammer is a detriment. snubbies ain't for everyone, either.

Banned
    I've heard all of the justifications for SA capability on a snubnose revolver and NONE of them hold water.

The snubnose DA revolver is an excellent self-defense tool but hammer spurs and SA capability are not needed on that platform. In fact, hammer spurs are a serious detriment on snubnose revolvers and you'll never miss the SA function. Snubnose revolvers are meant to be DA tools and they excel in that mode.

There is a pervasive attitude that if you don't have single action capability on a snubnose revolver you are somehow "giving up" something or losing some useful capability - you're not losing a thing with a DAO snubnose.

Boolit Master

Point made.

Enjoy your 637, Lucky!

Boolit Master

Point made.

Enjoy your 637, Lucky!
    That I will going to the range hopefully tomorrow will see how it does on paper

Boolit Grand Master
    If occasional SA capability is desired the 649 or 638 may be your choice.

For defensive use the SA capability is of course ignored, and the shroud does make it snag free. As for myself I have rather gotten used to their appearance, just like you get used to plastic autoloaders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
    If occasional SA capability is desired the 649 or 638 may be your choice.

For defensive use the SA capability is of course ignored, and the shroud does make it snag free. As for myself I have rather gotten used to their appearance, just like you get used to plastic autoloaders.
    I didn’t buy it for looks anyway , and I like being able cock it at the range if I want best of both worlds....I wonder if these guys think the full cock notch should be removed from all da guns.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I didn’t buy it for looks anyway , and I like being able cock it at the range if I want best of both worlds....I wonder if these guys think the full cock notch should be removed from all da guns.
    no, of course not - only for snubbies and other revolvers used primarily for self defense, ccw, edc ... add in ecq, too.

Boolit Master
    A exposed hammer on a snubbie is nothing but a crutch. Learn to shoot DA. It ain't rocket science. All about trigger control. I prefer DA revolvers for hunting. I have harvested deer in DA, with my RH, that were so close that they could hear the hammer cock on a SA.

Want to get proficient, at DA? Get a laser sight, like Crimson Trace's laser grips or laser guard. You will see what your doing wrong, pretty quickly.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    A exposed hammer on a snubbie is nothing but a crutch. Learn to shoot DA. It ain't rocket science. All about trigger control. I prefer DA revolvers for hunting. I have harvested deer in DA, with my RH, that were so close that they could hear the hammer cock on a SA.

Want to get proficient, at DA? Get a laser sight, like Crimson Trace's laser grips or laser guard. You will see what your doing wrong, pretty quickly.

Winelover
    I guess it depends on the definition of “proficient “. I have no problem shooting hand size groups da at short combat ranges 30’ and under with a snubbie or pocket size da only autos , not exceptional by any means but adequate and I practice that way when they get range time .
    I have also taken quite a bit of small game with pocket pistols because that was what I had in my pocket . For small targets or longer ranges I want the “crutch” I rarely carry pocket guns I do better with a bigger “crutch”, all my carry guns are da and or da/sa autos and revolvers I practice both ways.
    Last edited by onelight; 06-25-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Banned

when it comes to a CCW revolver, and the choice is a snubby, that handgun has a very special purpose. as such, it's essentially an ECQ defensive firearm that offers extreme concealability. it's a last line of point 'n' shoot defense. it's a civilian EDC or an LEO BUG. this is not a "range gun" or a "plinker" or a gun to carry into a firefight. it is a tool for a specific job, no more or less. it demands d/a training and practice. as such, an external hammer is clearly a detriment. a snubby is not for everyone.

i've read recently where some are concerned over the limited fixed sights on a typical snubby and want better, bigger, brighter, adjustable sights because "sometimes you need to take a long shot". though it can surely be done with its simple fixed sights, that's not the primary job of a snubnose revolver. it would be rare to have a need at a "long shot" for defense. as an armed citizen, this is a life-and-death close quarter handgun, a means of deescalating a hostile situation, and hopefully a way to do what's most important - extract oneself from harm without the need for a discharge.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast