Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Tribute To The 1911

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Thanks Jake...you made them Pard!

Are you still making grips?
    I sure have a hankering for a rugged looking set of stag....lil Kimber wants a change of clothes!

Contact me if you think you might?

PS...reload this picture, I'd like to see the Giraffe.
    I'm still making them occasionally. We might be able to do some stag grips. I'll look around and see if I can find a piece that would work. I'll PM you either tonight or tomorrow.

I re-uploaded the pic. I've been having issues with that lately. I can see them, but other can't for some reason. It makes it hard to get the issue fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    I'm still making them occasionally. We might be able to do some stag grips. I'll look around and see if I can find a piece that would work. I'll PM you either tonight or tomorrow.

I re-uploaded the pic. I've been having issues with that lately. I can see them, but other can't for some reason. It makes it hard to get the issue fixed.
    I just saw your Remington and those Giraffe scales are awesome looking, very fine work.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Buddy
    That was a great nonanswer love life. So I guess the question is are there more idiot glock owners than 1911 owners?

Vendor Sponsor

I didn't ever think I was going to need another carry gun outside of a Commander. A white haired old judge and an over zealous prosecutor in a podunk North Carolina courtroom showed me differently. They took great joy in vilifying my cocked and locked carry, the same way any lawman would carry, oh he was just driving around your honor, looking for somebody to shoot. Not kidding, cannot make this stuff up.

I still favor the 1911, always have one or two around, but I switched to a striker fired Kahr for carry because it deprives the circus of parading around in the courtroom over how I choose to defend myself. There is no visible hammer, no external safety, there is zero energy stored in the striker, no preload, it doesn't look as intimidating to the village idiot and they have a lot less to go on in making fear tactics a viable tool in front of the judge, or a jury.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I can very much sympathize with what you are saying, Doug Guy. I spent most of my 35 years working in this or that job wearing a uniform and carrying a handgun. When I could I carried a 1911. I received uncounted comments on my pistol being cocked and locked, some just warning me of the condition, and others with disapproval. No amount of explanation or reasoning will suffice to convert those who dislike cocked and locked carry.
    One Sgt. of a State Police agency that required on duty revolver carry tried to get me fired for carrying a 1911 off duty, despite the fact that they had no regulation limiting off duty weapons, as did an Armored supervisor who's company had no real regulations at all -- he just didn't like it. In my final few years of employment I found the solution in the pistol pictured below. It seemed to offer the best of both worlds, somewhat basic 1911 design and .45 ACP caliber with a public relations hammer. I liked it enough to buy two of them, and salted away one of the repair kits from SARCO for future reference if needed, although I've never experienced any trouble with them at all. I, for one, mourned the passing of Para Ordnance. I think they made good pistols, but I doubt if anyone will pick up the LDA design.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM001961.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	72.3 KB 
ID:	244164
    Click to enlarge.

DG

Banned

What a shame that happened to a nice pistol-- but my sides are hurting from laughing!

Boolit Master
    Yup with carefully applied bacon a pit bull can do a nice stipple job
    That Glock pic is funny.

The good news is that you can whittle it back to functionality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The good news is that you can whittle it back to functionality

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    As a tent peg.

Banned

Boolit Master
    ^ heh heh heh^ Funny!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    But, it is interesting to note that the 1911 remains extremely popular, and I'd wager that the civilian sales of the old, obsolete 1911 still outstrip those of the 92. Copies and clones of the 1911 abound, but this is not the case with the 92. In fact, even during the military tenure of the 92, certain special military units demanded and received updated 1911s for both their reliability and .45 ACP caliber. So, "old and obsolete" is said tongue in cheek, as it really isn't. Just yesterday I saw some of the special Marine Corps. version of the 1911 for sale, so the new Sig pistols must be real humdingers.

The "gun rags" continue to have article after article about the 1911 to the point that some readers write in and complain, but one seldom sees them about the 92. If and when the Govt. surpluses them out I'll probably obtain one for my collection, but will always find another 1911 hard to resist.
    American Rifleman has a article about those .45s they are designated M45 A1. The Marine special operations people had Colt build them to their specs. The back story from the article is that first ones weren't properly coated/finished and they went back to Colt. These pistols ended up on Gunbroker at a ridiculously low price. Now resellers have them on GB starting at $1500 or more. Needless to say I wish I would've been cruising Gunbroker when those M45's were on there at the low price and was able to realize what they were; currently issued Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command CQCP 1911's.

Here's one with the original box
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/812488316

The first time I did my CCW permit I used a G19 and got the high score of the group. When reupped the CCW I used a SR1911 Commander and got the high score again. But I ran the Commander faster and more confidently because I didn't have to wait to find the sights like I have to do with Glocks. Both of them ran without fail.

So to me both of them are good but I have to keep a Glock around to remind me how much better a 1911 is LOL. My biggest gripe about the Glock is that I have to be really careful to not drag plastic with my trigger finger.
    Last edited by pmer; 06-30-2019 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Gripe
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

let's see

army as a MP in in the 90s a Springfield m&p 9mm

deputy sheriff S&W 40 (the brick)
    back up gun kel tech 40 (the stove piper)

private armed security ruger P89 in 9mm.

I knew a LOT of cops that HATED having to carry the glock. but as their department buys them in bulk and then requires everyone to carry it so they can swap mags if needed.

no for my EDC I carry a s&w ultralight hammerless 38 special.

its extremely lightweight very concealable and packs a hell of a punch.

now I don't hate the glock. but I don't own one. as they need a new barrel to shoot cast.

I own a 1911 para. that out shoots all of my other handguns.

and I'll end with this

reporter to sheriff. why did the deputies shoot the guy 86 times.

Sheriff "They ran out of ammo"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pmer View Post
    American Rifleman has a article about those .45s they are designated M45 A1. The Marine special operations people had Colt build them to their specs. The back story from the article is that first ones weren't properly coated/finished and they went back to Colt. These pistols ended up on Gunbroker at a ridiculously low price. Now resellers have them on GB starting at $1500 or more. Needless to say I wish I would've been cruising Gunbroker when those M45's were on there at the low price and was able to realize what they were; currently issued Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command CQCP 1911's.

Here's one with the original box
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/812488316

The first time I did my CCW permit I used a G19 and got the high score of the group. When reupped the CCW I used a SR1911 Commander and got the high score again. But I ran the Commander faster and more confidently because I didn't have to wait to find the sights like I have to do with Glocks. Both of them ran without fail.

So to me both of them are good but I have to keep a Glock around to remind me how much better a 1911 is LOL. My biggest gripe about the Glock is that I have to be really careful to not drag plastic with my trigger finger.
    It’s not that they were coated improperly, it’s that cerekote sucks. All of the wear I’ve seen on them was standard Kydex holster wear on a cerekote finish. The Ionbond is a much better finish. I’ve shot the M45A1 in the service and own 2 of the decommissioned ones. As an aside, not just Spec-Ops has them. Lowly military police SRT teams have them to include the civilian rent-a-cops.

If you come across a decommissioned M45A1 for $1500 I recommend you buy 10 of them. The ones I sold and have seen sell sold for $3,500-$5,000.

Ahh...so interest in the 1911 thread continues! Well, here's one that I like a lot.........
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM004758.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	244465
    Click to enlarge.

DG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    Easy fix, convert that G17 or G19 into a G26...problem solved

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Thanks Jake...you made them Pard!

Are you still making grips?
    I sure have a hankering for a rugged looking set of stag
    ....lil Kimber wants a change of clothes!

Contact me if you think you might?

PS...reload this picture, I'd like to see the Giraffe.
    Here is what am44mag's first set of stag looks like...outstanding craftsmanship again Aaron, thank you!

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123