Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Tribute To The 1911

A Tribute To The 1911

There's currently a thread about the Beretta 92, M-9 pistols. I didn't want to hijack the thread, so thought I'd try to make a point with a different thread.

I am not a 92 hater, or even a disparager, but was around them and handled them from the time that they first appeared on the U.S. gun market. I made the determination that they didn't fit my hand well, and had a long stretch of the trigger finger to fire them double action. The originals had a heel clip magazine release, also something that didn't appeal to me, and although I have at least a dozen pistols in 9x19mm Luger I've never been as enamored of the cartridge as I am the .45 ACP. Nevertheless, the 92 achieved great success as both a military and police weapon, and that can not be denied.

But, it is interesting to note that the 1911 remains extremely popular, and I'd wager that the civilian sales of the old, obsolete 1911 still outstrip those of the 92. Copies and clones of the 1911 abound, but this is not the case with the 92. In fact, even during the military tenure of the 92, certain special military units demanded and received updated 1911s for both their reliability and .45 ACP caliber. So, "old and obsolete" is said tongue in cheek, as it really isn't. Just yesterday I saw some of the special Marine Corps. version of the 1911 for sale, so the new Sig pistols must be real humdingers.

The "gun rags" continue to have article after article about the 1911 to the point that some readers write in and complain, but one seldom sees them about the 92. If and when the Govt. surpluses them out I'll probably obtain one for my collection, but will always find another 1911 hard to resist.

Boolit Master
    The 1911 is a great gun. It is my preferred carry gun because it’s flat, accurate, hits hard, and just feels right. It fits most people, and is easy for most people to shoot. It is pretty easily customized.

The Beretta is fat, lol. I can carry a beretta M9 concealed, but I use a very thin holster. It doesn’t fit most people either. You don’t need banana hands, but Trump hands will have issues. It is a platform that is vastly improved with a trigger job and a short reach trigger. There’s not much customization to be done to it to make it better fit a person’s needs. It either works for you or it doesn’t. I doubt the M9/92 will ever match the 1911 in demand.

Now if really want to talk about a service gun that has stood the test of time, is wildly popular, and is much cloned/imitated; then we can talk about the Colt Single Action Army, lol.

Boolit Master

Meh. The Glock is superior to the 1911 in every way for most people. Lighter, more capacity, more reliable, more rugged, cheaper, easier to modify, multiple calibers in one platform, etc. etc. etc.

I carried the 1911 in the military. Then the M9. Both were inferior to the Glock.

Romanticize the 1911 all you want, call me names, insult anyone who disagrees with you, but facts are facts and it is inferior compared to more modern designs.

Sure, it's a handsome pistol, feels great in the hand, trigger on most is nice, and some models have proven reliable out of the box. But take a $500 Glock and put it up against a $500 1911 and see which is more reliable, comfortable, lighter, and durable. No contest.

And no, I won't respond to arguments by 1911 fanboys. If you don't accept facts or logic, then there is no point in discussing it.

I understand why some people love them and decide to carry them, but they usually try to justify their compromise in capacity, weight, reliability, durability, and cost by bashing "plastic" pistols or insulting others. Carry on.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I love 1911 pistols. I own 4 of them and they have been thoroughly reliable for me.
    3 in 45ACP and 1 in 9mm. 3 Springfields and a Sig
    Last edited by tazman; 06-23-2019 at 04:13 PM.

I have 3 Glocks. I can not deny their good points, but they're not my favorite pistols due to what most will find to be a very peculiar reason. When I thrust one out there to the firing position the slide seems so unnecessarily square and boxy, not at all like a nice, smooth, rounded 1911 slide. Somehow the roundedness of the 1911's slide allows me to point and pick up the sights easier, faster, and I can kind of see around the front sight which I can't exactly do with the Glock. But, just like the Beretta 92, there's no denying that they have proven to be a good pistol. Like almost everything one can talk about there are qualifications and exceptions. The 1911 sights have to be something other than the original WW I version.
    I guess that might be because I'm more of a bullseye shooter than an action shooter.

Gee, Mr. Idaho-- no intention to "flame" or argue here, just making observations. Actually, one of my more recent purchases was a Glock in .45 GAP. Just couldn't resist the price and condition, and wanted to experiment a bit with the GAP cartridge. My other two are a 21 .45 ACP and a 22 in .40 S&W. But......I own at least a dozen 1911s.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Meh. The Glock is superior to the 1911 in every way for most people. Lighter, more capacity, more reliable, more rugged, cheaper, easier to modify, multiple calibers in one platform, etc. etc. etc.

I carried the 1911 in the military. Then the M9. Both were inferior to the Glock.

Romanticize the 1911 all you want, call me names, insult anyone who disagrees with you, but facts are facts and it is inferior compared to more modern designs.

Sure, it's a handsome pistol, feels great in the hand, trigger on most is nice, and some models have proven reliable out of the box. But take a $500 Glock and put it up against a $500 1911 and see which is more reliable, comfortable, lighter, and durable. No contest.

And no, I won't respond to arguments by 1911 fanboys. If you don't accept facts or logic, then there is no point in discussing it.

I understand why some people love them and decide to carry them, but they usually try to justify their compromise in capacity, weight, reliability, durability, and cost by bashing "plastic" pistols or insulting others. Carry on.
    Without a doubt, manufacturing technology has changed in the 70+ years since the 2 were introduced.

Banned

I thought this was for praise to the 1911 not a glock thread.
    Oh well :kidding

The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

I found a place that sells good holsters for you: https://thewellarmedwoman.com/produc...ry/ccw-purses/

Go ruin someone else’s thread.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not interested in a 'my gun can beat yor gun' arguement, but wonder if accidental firings are more common with the Glock. I own a Shield but it has a maual safety and I don't shoot it or carry.

Boolit Master
    Negligent discharges are more common with idiots. The platform is just the victim of being owned by an idiot, regardless of what the platform is.

Boolit Grand Master
    I do know I shoot a 1911 better than anything else in autoloading persuasion speaking of service calibers.. For the usual reasons most people understand.

That makes it a useful choice I think.

Banned
    Well that didn't take long..........

Banned
    OK, so getting back on track, The 1911 is undeniably an iconic gun.

At one time it was probably one of the best combat pistols available and it is still a great gun. I no longer think that it is the best platform available but that doesn't mean it's bad, it just means that it has been eclipsed.
    The DC-3 is a great airplane but I don't want to cross the Atlantic in one. The 1957 Chevy Bel Air was a great car but I don't want one as a daily driver.

The 1911 has withstood the test of time because it is such a great design. I'm certain new editions of the 1911 will continue to be produced for years to come.
    The 1911 deserves its place in history.

Boolit Grand Master

I own and work on a lot of different pistols. I have been a 1911 fanboy for a very long time and that has not changed. About a year ago I picked up a CZ 75 Tactical Sport Orange. That is an incredible pistol. I liked it so much I picked up a CZ 75 SP-01. That is very nice also.

For full size carry I prefer a 1911. If a had a choice when I was in combat zones it would have been a double stack 1911. The CZ 75's would be a close second.

A lot of the 1911 criticism is based on unrealistic comparisons. Reliability is an example. Comparing a GI 1911 that is worn out to a brand new Beretta 92 is hardly fair. Some of the GI 1911 that I came into contact with had be rebuilt well beyond anything resembling a normal service life. The last 1911 Service grade pistols that the US Military purchased were manufactured in 1945 http://sightm1911.com/1911Production.htm

Same for the cobbled together parts guns that are still very common today. Unlike the AR's just dropping a bunch of the lowest cost parts together can be problematic.

Properly assembled the 1911 reliability is second to none.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-23-2019 at 03:47 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    My first handgun purchase was in 1977. A Colt Combat Commander, Series 70, Blue, 45 ACP. Payed $225.00 NIB. My last gun purchase was a S/A 1911 TRP Operator, 10mm, 6". That cost me $1500.00. I now have 1911 pistols in 9mm, 38 Super, 45 ACP, and now 10mm. I believe the 1911 to be the best handgun in the world.

Boolit Buddy

The 1911 is my EDC gun, series 70 Colt. I have owned a lot of newer design firearms (glock, h&k, ruger, beretta,ets) . I have been present in several govt. tests, and have seen most of the "sacred cows" fail. The 1911 works for me.

I like my Ballerina Molester better than a 1911 or a Glock or a Beretta.
    The 1911 platform is timeless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I like my Ballerina Molester better than a 1911 or a Glock or a Beretta.
    The 1911 platform is timeless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    When did you start molesting ballerinas??
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

yeah but you still have to look at them
    glock is plain ugggleeee
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often