RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 22 Savage Hi-Power Load Suggestions?

22 Savage Hi-Power Load Suggestions?

I just started reloading and it was for this cartridge. I don't want to invest much in equipment so I would like some loads with "store bought" bullets. I am interested in lead and jacketed loads from mild to factory spec.

Cheshire Oregon-Near Eugene about 60 miles from Pacific coast
    I have a 225462 mold that drops oversized bullets that I size .228 and load over 6 1/2 grains of unique. Shot very well in a CZ combo gun. I got rid of the gun still have the dies and mold.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

You would have to do some significant searching to find 'store bought' bullets of .228". It was an odd caliber. You might want to slug your chamber/barrel to determine just what your rifle will require before you buy in large quantities.

Where are you in VA? There are several of us on here that might be able to help.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I have a few Hornady .227" 70gr bullets that you can have. You will need to become a handloader with that obsolete cartridge. The metric equivalent is 5.6x52R if you are looking for store bought ammo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I don't know if you have a Sellier & Bellot distributor anywhere near you, but they still offer loaded 5.6x52R / .22 Savage High Power ammunition in boxer primed reloadable brass at very reasonable prices.

You'd likely have to search far and wide to find any old stock jacketed bullets in .227" / .228" 70 grain Hornady or Speer. If you want to shoot it very much you'd likely be best to invest in a suitable .228" to .230" 70 grain boolit mould ...

(We were just shooting my .22 HP 99 Savage 20" take down carbine at the range today by the way.)

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Hornady occasionally produces their .228 70gr bullets. You might give Grand Island a call and see when/if they are planning on doing another run. Can't hurt to ask, and if they get enough interest maybe they'll run off a big batch of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I have a few Hornady .227" 70gr bullets that you can have. You will need to become a handloader with that obsolete cartridge. The metric equivalent is 5.6x52R if you are looking for store bought ammo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    I would gladly pay for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    You would have to do some significant searching to find 'store bought' bullets of .228". It was an odd caliber. You might want to slug your chamber/barrel to determine just what your rifle will require before you buy in large quantities.

Where are you in VA? There are several of us on here that might be able to help.
    Williamsburg

https://shop.reedsammo.com/searchqui...?keywords=.228

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    I don't know if you have a Sellier & Bellot distributor anywhere near you, but they still offer loaded 5.6x52R / .22 Savage High Power ammunition in boxer primed reloadable brass at very reasonable prices.

You'd likely have to search far and wide to find any old stock jacketed bullets in .227" / .228" 70 grain Hornady or Speer. If you want to shoot it very much you'd likely be best to invest in a suitable .228" to .230" 70 grain boolit mould ...

(We were just shooting my .22 HP 99 Savage 20" take down carbine at the range today by the way.)

Looks like mine. I did remove my Marbles tang sight and installed a no-gunsmith scope mount that a member on the Savage forum makes. I still need to get to the range to sight it in.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kir_kenix View Post
    Hornady occasionally produces their .228 70gr bullets. You might give Grand Island a call and see when/if they are planning on doing another run. Can't hurt to ask, and if they get enough interest maybe they'll run off a big batch of them.
    Hornady doesn't even make them on a seasonal basis anymore. The bullets are ok, but too long for the nominal 1-12" twist of the old Savage barrels. Having them shoot well is chancy at best. (The bullets were intended for users of 5.6x52R European guns that typically have much faster ROT's.) If a shooter enjoys higher elevations, low humidity and temperatures he stands a better chance of success with those bullets fired from Savages with barely enough to twist to maybe stabilize them down closer to sea level. (Or if the owner is lucky to have a gun with a skinch faster twist produced by the sine bar rifling machine operator on a day 100 years ago when he was suffering from a hangover.)

The trick to making the Hornady .228 70 grain spitzer work reliably in a Savage is to shorten the bullet. I do it quickly and easily with a file trim die I made that removes .1" from the nose of the bullet. That little bit serves to take that bullet from a 2-3MOA performer to a 1-1½MOA performer (with peep sights), and only sacrifices a couple grains weight. The trim die guarantees uniformity from bullet to bullet.

Another protocol I observe with the .22 High Power is to not try to make a speedster out of it. In the bunch of rifles I have/had I always got better accuracy at a comfy level well below claimed velocity for factory ammo (and case life improved dramatically). Deer and other creatures died just just as well accordingly. 24-2500fps is just as effective in the real world as 2700fps (unless you're a tricky cross-canyon/mountain-to-mountain he-man ).

Of course, the Imp (old timey nickname for the .22HP) really shines with cast bullets. Pick a design of between 55-70 grains with a short blunt profile (magic number is .750" of length or shorter), size it to fit your throat, cram 6-10 grains Unique behind it, load up a sack full, and have more fun than is legal in Vegas on a Saturday night.
    Last edited by gnoahhh; 06-27-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post

S&B (as well as Norma) factory 5.6x52R ammo is indeed good accurate stuff, but it's loaded hot. The result is poor case life when fired in an old Savage lever gun. Rear locking lever guns have a fair amount of flex when subjected to high pressures and empty brass exhibits evidence of stretching, even in my rifles that fortuitously have minimal headspace. Whenever a box of S&B's falls into my lap I pull the bullets (which are excellent by the way), dump the powder and reload with a milder load of 4895 or 3031.

The other thing with Euro 5.6x52R ammo is diameter of case heads. It typically runs a couple thousandths under what domestic .25-35/.30-30 brass does (the two cases normally used to form HP brass). We think it's a result of the translation from English to Metric specs.

All that doesn't matter (nor should it) to the once a year throw-the-empty-brass-in-the-trashcan shooter/hunter, but it does matter to the handloader who wants to get more than a couple loadings per case.

As I said before I have a mold, reloading dies ,brass and bullet sizing h&i die that I'm not using PM me if you would be interested in buying the package. Mine was a 5.6 by 52 with a 1 and 9 twist and it was able to use Hornady 60 grain .224 bullets. Don't know how that would work in the Savage 99.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MP44 View Post
    I'm in Virginia Beach. I'm set up to cast but don't have a mold. If you can get a mold we can at least get together and make you some boolits. If you get Cheshire Dave's setup you are home free - we can stick his H&I die in one of my sizers and have your boolits lubed and sized when you go home.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    I'm in Virginia Beach. I'm set up to cast but don't have a mold. If you can get a mold we can at least get together and make you some boolits. If you get Cheshire Dave's setup you are home free - we can stick his H&I die in one of my sizers and have your boolits lubed and sized when you go home.
    I have dies already but I do not shoot enough to go thru the trouble or $$ for molds and molding. I have been loading .228 70gr Reeds over 25gr of H4895 ( found on another site ) and just purchased 200 64gr lead gas checked bullets from The Bull Shop.

I just sent you a PM. I have 92 cases formed from 30-30 or 25-35 cases. And 20 Sellier& Beloit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MP44 View Post

That scope mount is a pretty hard to come by item.

Brass is easy, one push through a FL sizer with .25-35 brass is all it takes.

Somewhere in my stuff I have one of the Lee Bator molds they sold through Midsouth that drops at like .229. Haven't shot any, kind of got away from this project for a while.

By the way, gnoahh has probably forgotten more about the ,22 HP than anybody else knows about it, I'd listen to what he has to say concerning loading for it.

I have some of the S&B loaded rds and a few brass. The 25-35 is what I have been using to reload, I ordered 150 pieces. gnoahh is where I got the H4895 load.

Boolit Buddy

.22 Savage shooters, check this out!

Boolit Master
    As much as I like the .22HP, nowayinheck would I face off against a tiger with one like that guy did! I would want at least a .25-35.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast